Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

PPE Headers - exhaust wrap yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 11:17 AM
jledford

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Question PPE Headers - exhaust wrap yes or no?

I finally received the PPE headers I order for my '07 Z way back in November. I ordered them with the black ceramic coating.

The question is whether or not I should put some DEI header wrap on them before installation? Or is it not needed with the coating?

I'm new to the Z platform so I don't know how much heat becomes an issue under the hood. I have all of the plastics (bumper to radiator, under car, etc) that keep air flowing as the factory intended through the engine bay. I did the ceramic coating for the extra piece of mind with regards to the heat. I've heard that wrapping over a coating can be bad for the coating, especially if moisture gets under the wrap, but that could be an old wives tale?

Any suggestions or comments on wrap vs no-wrap with a ceramic coating with respect to the Z platform would be appreciated!

Last edited by jledford; 01-13-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:21 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

It may depend on the coating. I have the exhaust on my 2 Alfa's Jet-Hot coated, and it's definitely not in need of any wrapping.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:27 PM
jledford

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got a few weekends before I'll have time to install them. I'll try contacting PPE and see if they have a recommendation as well. I'll post up any response I get from them. I just know a few of the auto-cross guys on here already have these headers and was hoping for some first hand experience.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:50 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

They'll recommend coating unless it is a race car most likely. Race car = wrap per their recommendations.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:33 PM
BryanH

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

With a quality ceramic coat I don't think you need to wrap. I haven't noticed high underhood temps although I haven't done any scientific measurements either. IMHO wrap is pretty messy anyway, especially when used...
Old 01-19-2017, 06:52 PM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts

...makes you very very itchy when wrapping as well, unless you soak them in water prior to wrapping your headers. First time I wrapped my longtubes I itched for like three days lol, Had to redu them and try again for a tighter wrap and soaked it in water the second time around, and I wasn't itchy.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:06 PM
markt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wrapped mine, heat was a major issue with my previous S/C build, between the wrapping and hood vents, not an issue anymore.
The following users liked this post:
Desert Z (07-03-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 05:27 PM
HRMoneyPit

Received 268 Likes on 218 Posts

Oh das hot