Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

2018 Z Race Schedule

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 05:49 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Runoffs qualification has changed quite a bit since I started racing, Mic. Current standards offer no less than three ways to qualify:

1) Race in three Majors weekends and start at least three races. This is the most direct path and the one I'm taking this year. If I'm successful at the upcoming races at HPR next weekend, I should be qualified.

2) Race in two Majors weekends and sub in two Regional weekends to qualify.

3) Race in four Regional weekends and finish in the top 3 of the class you're qualifying for.

Qualifying has become a bit convoluted over the years, but the intent is to get racers to get out and participate in a minimum number of races. Here's a link to the official SCCA Runoffs PDF:

file:///C:/Users/David/AppData/Local/Packages/Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe/TempState/Downloads/2018_SCCA_Runoffs_Qualification_Criteria_v030818%20(1).pdf
Old 06-30-2018, 05:14 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

One addendum to the above: some racers have made the Runoffs their biggest priority and have developed an odd way to keep their cars fresh and still qualify. It's called the start and park, and involves paying the entry fee to three weekends (six races) and racing in only three races. They go half-distance and retire the car from each of the three races (thus being counted as a "finish"). The other three, they simply cross the start line, do one lap and pull in (counting as a "start"). Technically, they meet the criteria to qualify, but it's a helluva way to go racing.

BTW- most SCCA Majors entry fees are around $500/weekend. I find it hard to believe that any racer would want to pay that and not race hard to the best finish they can manage for each and every freakin' race! While I haven't seen this occur with any of the Touring 3 group I race with, it's a common practice in some production car classes.
Old 06-30-2018, 09:21 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmura
One addendum to the above: some racers have made the Runoffs their biggest priority and have developed an odd way to keep their cars fresh and still qualify. It's called the start and park, and involves paying the entry fee to three weekends (six races) and racing in only three races. They go half-distance and retire the car from each of the three races (thus being counted as a "finish"). The other three, they simply cross the start line, do one lap and pull in (counting as a "start"). Technically, they meet the criteria to qualify, but it's a helluva way to go racing.

BTW- most SCCA Majors entry fees are around $500/weekend. I find it hard to believe that any racer would want to pay that and not race hard to the best finish they can manage for each and every freakin' race! While I haven't seen this occur with any of the Touring 3 group I race with, it's a common practice in some production car classes.
Thanks for bringing me up to speed on that David.

Gotta say it....the above practices are just plain ridiculous! Clearly ego and self righteous glory driven versus love and enthusiasm for the challenge and sport of it. Uggggggh.

The poseurs of racing. Bleeeeeeaaah.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:29 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Default The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (July update)

The Good- the "Freedom Sprints" SCCA Majors were held at High Plains Raceway this past weekend. The 2.5-mile 14-turn track had five cars contending for the T3 race and did we go at it! Jason Ott (BMW) and Derek Kulach (350Z) were again untouchable at the front and took turns setting new lap records despite high heat. My Saturday went well enough, although it was a battle to take third. The changes to my 350Z (suspension setup and cooling) were mostly positive, and the used BFGoodrich R1-S held up well in 100 degree temps. Later that day, I went on to win the RMDiv regional race overall and secure the T1 title (without really changing over to T1 trim).

The Bad - Sunday's race probably turned when I refueled the Z and elected to go with only 3/4 tank of 100 octane fuel. SCCA has mandated a longer race on Sunday and my guestimate tuned out to about two laps short. The Z sputtered coming out of T3 after another long battle securing third place. It was frustrating watching a silver Porsche flash past as I got the Z refired and finished fourth. Things got worse when I got hit in the RR during qualifying Sunday for the second T1 race and ended up with enough damage to make me a DNS for the afternoon race.

The Ugly- By taking third and fourth place finishes at the HPR Majors races, I took over the series lead in T3. But being so far behind that record setting duo makes it hard to celebrate too much. And I'm faced with repairing damage to the dreaded QP section (just ahead of the RR wheelwell) before the final Majors race in August. It's coming down to the wire with no less than four contenders (out of seven racing) for the Mid-America season championship!
The following 2 users liked this post by dkmura:
guitman32 (07-09-2018), MicVelo (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 04:04 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Thanks for the great update, despite the shitty weekend. Sucks about the damage too.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:01 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Default Last Chance Majors and Runoffs Prep

Happy to say the majority of the prep work for the SCCA Majors finale at High Plains Raceway in Colorado has been completed a full two weeks before the race! The RR QP was studded, pulled and finished, and the brake and hub issues repaired or inspected. My pre-race prep always includes brake bleeding of all four corners, fluid checks and scanning the ECM, BCM and ABS sectors for any new codes. We're ready with new BFG R1S mounted for this next race, the "Last Chance Majors".

I've also entered the 2018 Runoffs at Sonoma Raceway this week. My preferred #7 was unavailable, as SCCA allows last year's Indy Runoffs first choice of that number. While I hope to get it back if unclaimed, the best I could do was be tentatively listed under #78, a number I've never raced with. Still, a certain NASCAR driver from a Denver-based shop has had good fortune racing with #78 at Sonoma, so I hope some of that rubs off!
The following users liked this post:
MicVelo (08-12-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 06:12 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Final preparations are now underway for the final SCCA Majors race at High Plains Raceway this coming weekend. Believe it or not, there are a myriad of details that can only be handled towards the final week of a race. Powering up all the small devices (AMB transponder, lap timer and camera) that go in the car, along with the pit equipment that go in the trailer, are the first step. I purchase the 100 octane race fuel that powers the Z at a local station to not only save some $$, but get the freshest fuel available. And there's always something that comes up as I look over the rig; this time it's a right rear bias-ply trailer tire that's going flat and may need to be replaced.

Ah, and then there's the final entry list for this race that shows six entries from BMW, Nissan and Porsche for the T3 finale for the 2018 Mid-States Majors. It's going to be a race to remember, one way or another.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:26 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

^SOTRUE. Its the prep and loading unloading that really tire me out! Your schedule is impressive.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:17 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Default Keep Those Dreams Alive

Strangely enough, that's the title of a song I heard as I headed out to High Plains Raceway; about an hour from my house. Little did I suspect, how prophetic those words would be! For this race (the "Last Chance SCCA Majors"), I wouldn't have any pit support, as my usual crew member had recent back surgery and wasn't available. But the 350Z was prepped and ready, with a set of fresh BFGoodrich R1-S ready to bed in. For qualifying, my preferred pattern is to run two easy laps, working my way up to two blazingly hot laps and then a cooldown lap to get the best out of the tires. This was disrupted by traffic, and I only ended up getting one quick lap in before the end of the five lap session. In that short period of time, heat became apparent and the HR seemed louder than last race. This was confirmed when I went over the scales at impound, and the chief of tech commented: "you've got a severe exhaust leak".

The Bad
Back at the trailer, I got out the wrenches and checked all the connections from the header on back to the Y-pipe, but there was nothing to indicate the problem was down below. After further checks, one of my race buddies confirmed the sound seemed to be coming from the right (driver's) side bank. OK- it took awhile with a hot race engine, but pulling back the heat shield and checking header bolts revealed nothing loose UNTIL I got to the back and spotted a small crack just aft of the #6 primary tube. It looked to be over an inch and a quick turn of the engine confirmed it. Not only would this cut power, but it also explained the resulting heat and meant I'd be exposed to more carbon monoxide over the race. Worse yet, there was no time (or parts) to repair this, and I was faced with whether it was safe to run. "Screw it- let's race" was somewhat the decision and off I went to the grid. Very tough race, as I briefly held the lead but fell back as I raced with the #8 NISMO Z of Spero Leon. We've been a pair this season, and had several side-by-side skirmishes until I made an error in turn 2 and carried a bit too much speed in. Didn't spin, but the resulting slide allowed the white NISMO to gain position down the backstraight. Still, a fourth place finish kept me in the hunt for the championship, but was a bitter pill to take after higher hopes.

The Ugly
Exhausted after the late Saturday race, I elected to head home rather than bleed the brakes. That was my first mistake, as when I returned Sunday and went through my standard race prep routine, a bigger problem reared its UGLY head. I'd also noticed my Z wandered a bit towards the end of the previous race, with additional steering needed to maintain my line in some sections of the track. Turned out to be the last tire being remounted that, to my horror, wobbled terribly after being bolted up. Despite repeated checks of the right rear hub bearing, it had picked this race to pack it up. Worse yet, when I went to check my spares box, I had THREE front hubs and NO rear ones! Great- pack it up and kiss your championship hopes goodbye.
But closer inspection revealed the hub bolt had backed itself off and the safety cotter pin had kept the wheel from exiting the car. Borrowing a 32 MM socket and retorquing the nut was my last, best option. While it was clear the bearing and race was on the way out, maybe this would get me through this final race. I'd need a good finish to clinch my first Majors title.

The Good
Still sweating by this point, at least I had a good start to the Sunday race and (like many SCCA races) found myself smack in the middle of A-sedan and GT3 cars. They eventually got by and it was notable that my lap times began falling off as the HR warmed up. This was the longer of the two races, and it also became apparent the rear hub was "walking" around again as the steering got that floating feel again. Still, it was with a bit of elation that I passed under the checkered in third place (and yeah, the Porsche 911 GT3 leader lapped the field TWICE) to put the final stamp on the Mid-States T3 title. Can't remember another race weekend where I had to fight so hard in the pits to even make the frickin' race. Plus, you can bet there'll be new headers and hubs on the car (and in the trailer) before the Runoffs!
Old 08-30-2018, 05:47 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

It's only been five months since this shot was taken at the Denver Auto Show. Beyond all the mechanical items that need to be replaced, my attempts to repair the corner tabs on the front bumper (damaged this race season) were unsuccessful. Before the Z makes its way to Sonoma, it needs a new front bumper and I'll need to redo the brake ducts once again before having it painted. All this work reminds me of how much wear a racecar absorbs over the "normal" course of a season in order to compete for a championship!
Old 09-21-2018, 08:45 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Today SCCA released a piece on the 2018 Mid-America Majors Championship:

https://www.scca.com/articles/201043...oint-champions
The following users liked this post:
MicVelo (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 09:09 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmura
Today SCCA released a piece on the 2018 Mid-America Majors Championship:

https://www.scca.com/articles/201043...oint-champions
Sheeeeit, David, you are totally allowed to paraphrase your accomplishment!! But since you're being humble, allow me to sing the praises for ya!!

From the article:

" One story of note centers on David Muramoto who took the Touring 3 championship driving a Nissan 350Z. Injured in a testing accident at the end of 2016, Muramoto spent last year recovering before returning to the U.S. Majors Tour this year. But it wasn’t an easy championship to claim as his race car suffered a header crack in qualifying during the Conference’s last race weekend of the season. He battled heat and fumes to finish fourth Saturday. On Sunday, a rear hub bearing was found to be loose on his car. With no spares available, the only solution was to retorque the bolt securing the hub and bearing, while replacing the cotter pin. That proved to be enough to allow Muramoto to grab a third-place finish Sunday, a result that clinched him the class championship over fellow Nissan 350Z driver Derek Kulach."

Just freakin' AWESOME!!!
Old 09-21-2018, 03:48 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Thanks, Mic!