Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Motul 600 or 5.1?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 10:24 PM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Motul 600 or 5.1?

Motul 600 stands in high regards with many, but is it designed for use in an ABS equipped vehicle? Motul sells DOT 5.1 high performance fluid specifically for ABS eqipped vehicles. Has anyone here any experience with it, or know of its performance- specifically compared to the RBF600 in solo I racing and HPDE conditions? If there have been no adverse affects with the use of RBF600 in the Z, then I will use this the next track day, but am curious as to any possible advantages of the 5.1 for our cars. Thoughts or opinions?
Thanks,
Will
Old 06-01-2004, 06:43 AM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Judging by the dry / wet boiling temps, the 5.1 isn't going to hold up if you spend a lot of time on track. There was a little brake fluid discussion a few weeks ago: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=72301

Hope this helps.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:43 AM
jimster716

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Motul RBF600. I love the stuff...combined with the earl's stainless lines, I haven't had any tangible reason to swap my non-brembo brakes. I autocross once a month (including practice days when i can get a spot) and I track it at willow springs when I can. You do have to change your fluid more often (I do it every 3-4 months).

I use Motul for oil changes, diff fluid, and brake fluid. I only use OEM fluid for the tranny.
Old 06-01-2004, 05:20 PM
Resolute

Thanks for the response gentlemen. I checked out some other forums and it seems the RBF600 is not prone to upset anyone's ABS. The DOT 5.1 is really rare it seems for track use, or even high performance street. I decided to pick up three bottles of the 600 and flush my system in prep for an upcoming HPDE. Seems to be the preferred choice and I can't wait to check it out with Hawk HP-Plus pads.
Old 06-03-2004, 04:15 PM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bring an extra set of pads... with the Hawk HP+, it won't take long to roast though them... there are many other pads out there that are better designed for track usage...
Old 06-11-2004, 10:10 AM
Resolute

Want to recomend some? Carbotech won't sell me their race compounds because I don't have Brembo's. Performance Friction doesn't make any for the Z, and niether does EBC. Hawk HP+ or Panther+ are my only options it seems. Hawk blue pads, but everyone keeps saying I'll toast my "tiny rotors" and warp the plates from caliper heat. A bbk is not a feasible option right now, so any recomendations would be great.
Old 06-13-2004, 01:47 PM
Eagle1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Motul 600 or 5.1?

Originally posted by Resolute
Motul 600 stands in high regards with many, but is it designed for use in an ABS equipped vehicle? Motul sells DOT 5.1 high performance fluid specifically for ABS eqipped vehicles. Has anyone here any experience with it, or know of its performance- specifically compared to the RBF600 in solo I racing and HPDE conditions? If there have been no adverse affects with the use of RBF600 in the Z, then I will use this the next track day, but am curious as to any possible advantages of the 5.1 for our cars. Thoughts or opinions?
Thanks,
Will
I have been running the Motul 600RBF with good results at Willow Springs, Sears Point, Buttonwillow on my G35.
Buttonwillow in particular is hard on your brakes, and except perhaps at the entry to turns 1 and 3 Willow Springs is rather humane on your brakes. Axxis Ultimate pads on the StopTech rotors have been very capable so far.
Old 06-13-2004, 03:44 PM
GaryM05

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Re: Motul 600 or 5.1?

Originally posted by Eagle1
I have been running the Motul 600RBF with good results at Willow Springs, Sears Point, Buttonwillow on my G35.
Buttonwillow in particular is hard on your brakes, and except perhaps at the entry to turns 1 and 3 Willow Springs is rather humane on your brakes. Axxis Ultimate pads on the StopTech rotors have been very capable so far.
Eagle1 - Have you had any excessive rotor wear or pad deposition from the Axxis pads on your Stoptechs? That dire warning that Stoptech puts on the Axxis pad box that they include with their kit (combined with others' experiences) incited me to get dedicated pads for the track, but I'm curious to hear about your experience with the Axxis Ultimates on the Stoptechs during a track session.

Gary
Old 06-13-2004, 08:36 PM
Eagle1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gary:
Nope, nothing negative at all. I run a separate set of wheels/tires on the track, and so always have them checked when the track set goes on, and then on return when the track set comes off. They are just fine so far. And by golly they really haul you down hard when you want to.

However, bear in mind that while the demands from the track driving are greater than the street, my driving style is not a particularly harsh and aggressive one. I do not thrash or abuse the car at all, and start going as fast as I can while maintaining a smooth rhythm, and then work up the speeds while staying smooth. This tends to be not only a heck of a lot safer, which is a matter of some concern when in the proximity of concrete walls, stacks of tires and ditches, but way more gentle on the equipment that I have to pay for! If I was trying to go 10/10ths then it could be a different result. I have noticed that there are some other folks running comparable lap times who have motors heating, brakes going pedal mushy and chewing tires, and I am hardly showing any stress at all. It has a lot to do with how you drive I think. I am not the fastest, and never will be. But I am getting faster within the parameters of what I am ever going to be capable of, and that must include for me a very controlled and smooth style, because I take pleasure in driving that way, going fast without looking it. (Of course, I don't look like I am going fast now because.........I am not!!!!!).

Cheers.