Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

California Speedway with SpeedVentures

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004 | 07:59 PM
Eagle1

Default California Speedway with SpeedVentures

Are any of you 350Z and G35 lads going to the SpeedVentures day at the California Speedway in Fontana/Riverside this Friday the 25th of June? They are running the auto competition course including the "Roval", down the 11 degree front straight and full around the 14 degree banked turns 1 and 2, then down the back straight half way to the chicane entry to the road course.
Just like to see a few more Z/G guys there if possible. I will be in the number 03 white coupe. We have another enthusiast in a DP G35 coupe coming, so hope some 350Zs come out to strut their stuff too.
Old 06-24-2004 | 01:50 PM
OC_350Z

I was thinking about it, but will pass on this one. It's going to be crazy though, I can't belive they are running the "Roval" with out chicanes! The speeds are going to be really high! I don't want to blow a tire and pull a #3 into the wall. I will be at the next event, with new tires
Old 06-24-2004 | 07:31 PM
Eagle1

Originally posted by OC_350Z
I was thinking about it, but will pass on this one. It's going to be crazy though, I can't belive they are running the "Roval" with out chicanes! The speeds are going to be really high! I don't want to blow a tire and pull a #3 into the wall. I will be at the next event, with new tires
Yes, the thought had crossed my mind. My number is 03 as well.
Did not get the front camber control arms on today, so have to run it tomorrow without them. Did get the bigger oil pan on, so at least I have 6.75 quarts of syn oil to help lube and cool on what will undoubtedly be a warm day. I expect that the higher speeds will, when combined with the warm temperatures, work some wear on the tires. They were looking pretty good after Buttonwillow and Sears Point, but Big Willow and those high speed turns (8,9,1,2) worked them over pretty soundly. They look fine, but this might be their last outing if they take as much punishment as they got at Willow Springs.
Old 06-25-2004 | 10:10 AM
OC_350Z

What speed do you think you will reach on the oval? Also is this even open to the public if you are not racing? I don't live very far away from the track. It would be cool to come over and watch.
Old 06-25-2004 | 06:19 PM
Eagle1

Originally posted by OC_350Z
What speed do you think you will reach on the oval? Also is this even open to the public if you are not racing? I don't live very far away from the track. It would be cool to come over and watch.
It was open to the public, though of course not many folks come, just friends and family.

My fastest speed on the oval was 135mph. That was my first time around. Based on watching film, studying the line, etc., that is what I thought would be an appropriate speed to take it. So, we launch at the base of turn one, get up some speed, through two and get a feel for the banking, then work through the infield course and hit the entry to the front straight at between 80 and 90 mph and just floor the accelerator, upshift fifth, then sixth, speed climbs to 135 just as you make your commitment to the turn into the oval at turn 1........and you hold it steady and go through, about halfway up the bank............All the way around through the exit and then down the back straight, and brake for a pair of 90 degree turns in a chicane with some tire stacks.

I never did it that fast again. My best lap time the rest of the day was four seconds slower, because I never took it at more than 120-125mph after that.

The car was comfortable with it, but I was not. Advanced drivers were popping around it at 150mph, though one Viper blew a tire and smacked the entire right side of his car on the wall through the oval. Expensive day.

I went off track at turn 6, getting on too much throttle too soon on the exit of a double apex hairpin, and also at turn 9, coming in too hot to a diminishing radius hairpin. Both were minor grass mowing, but the course is demanding and if you get pushy, it pushes back. A wonderful day, lots of fun. And learning.
Old 06-28-2004 | 09:13 AM
OC_350Z

Sounds great. The Viper did exactly what I was worried about. My tires are worn right now and not really race ready. I will have new tires this week and be ready for the next event. See you there!