Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

heel-toe, larger throttle pedal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 03:16 PM
tomzz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heel-toe, larger throttle pedal?

Has anybody put a larger throttle pedal on the Z to make heel toe easier for track use?

I have a small foot and the stock set up is a little too far apart. Has anybody used a particular product to make the heel- toe easier for their Z for track use? Not sure how the OEM pedal comes off. Looks like a clip on the top under side of the pedal?? Any heel toe pedal modification experience by Z track users??
Old 08-16-2004, 09:58 AM
jackwhale

I cut a larger piece of 1/4 " sheet metal and bolted it to the stock pedal. Didn't remove the current pedal face, in case I wanted to remove my pedal later. It certainly helps with heel-toe.

I posted pictures in the repairing section on July 8.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:03 PM
J Ritt

I did this about a year ago...

I bought some OMP pedals from these guys:
http://ompusa.com/pedals.htm

The first listing on the page:

1863 Pedals Standard racing pedals, cast aluminum, knurled surface for increased traction, oversized gas pedal, drilled holes reduce weight and also hold mounting bolts, allowing incremental adjustment of pedal placement. In silver aluminum.
Racer price - $34.95

I took the oversized throttle pedal, and bolted it on over top of the existing gas pedal. I used some tapered alan head bolts so they sat down flush into the holes...slid the bolts through the existing holes in the stock pedals, and put a nut on the back. I'll take some pics when I get a chance. My car's in the shop now, but I should have it back within the next day or so. The nice thing is that you can move it around and find a good position that suits you. IMO, it was a huge improvement to bridge that massive gaps that the stock pedals leave.

Last edited by J Ritt; 08-17-2004 at 05:05 PM.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:34 PM
tomzz

Default good ideas

Thanks guys. very helpful info on pedal set up. I think I will try it out for my next DE in Sept.

Thanks
Old 08-24-2004, 02:59 PM
apex locator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i wear my wider basketball shoes
Old 08-24-2004, 07:15 PM
Jason Bourne

I did the same thing as J Ritt with slightly different looking pedals from OMP. However, I also added the brake pedal cover from the 3 pedal kit. It's wider than the stock pedal and I mounted it offset to the right by about 1/2 inch. With both pedals now a bit wider and offset towards each other, there is only about 1/2 inch gap between the pedals. Heel and toeing is night and day different and completely effortless, regardless of my shoes.
Old 12-18-2004, 04:18 PM
daveh

Do you find that under full braking the brake pedal goes down lower than the gas pedal? Every so often I find myself giving it a little gas accidentally when I'm braking. Did you guys do anything to raise up the brake pedal?
btw, I just bent the gas pedal over a little bit to get them closer together.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:32 AM
thrifiddytt

razo makes some nice pedals specifically for heel and toe. helps a lot with drifting especially with really thin soled shoes, easy to modulate.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:09 AM
dnguyent

I did the OMP pedal overlay similar to JRitt and Jason Bourne, and am trying to get used to it. After one year of doing heel-toe on the OEM pedals, I'm having a hard time getting used to the new set up. With the OEM, I would occasionally miss the gas pedal with my heel because I have small feet, but with this new set up, I'm blipping the gas too much, and getting a forward kick when I release the clutch. It's definitely easier to reach, but a bit too easy since I'm used to reaching over so far.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:09 AM
Eagle1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.autovation.net/?

these lads make a four pedal set for the G35 Infiniti for heel/toe shifting.
Check the products box, then Infiniti, then G35 and finally race pedals. They have a set for MT and for AT, and a couple of different finish treatments.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:23 PM
nuttyprof

do u use those Eagle? how are they? do they work for Heel Toe? its so difficult with the stock pedals.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:41 PM
bigdaddy

daveh,

i have experienced the same thing. seems like the brake pedal goes a little past the gas pedal, then when i roll my foot, there is nothing there since i am already past it.

sean
Old 02-01-2005, 08:38 AM
daveh

I'd like to pose this question again. My brakes are well bled and operating normally. When I am on the brakes hard, the brake pedal goes lower than the gas pedal and I can't use the technique I'm used to of placing half of my foot over the brake and half over the gas. I will either have to use the traditional way of rotating my foot to blip the throttle or raise the brake pedal. I've got the base model with rubber pedals so will I have to drill into them to attach an aftermarket pedal?
Old 02-01-2005, 08:49 AM
Skrill

Add me to the OMP pedal mod list.

Here is a link to my DIY instructions for installing the OMP mod (call it -- my lame attempt to give something back to the community).

Linky to DIY
Old 02-01-2005, 09:50 PM
dnguyent

Originally posted by daveh
I'd like to pose this question again. My brakes are well bled and operating normally. When I am on the brakes hard, the brake pedal goes lower than the gas pedal and I can't use the technique I'm used to of placing half of my foot over the brake and half over the gas. I will either have to use the traditional way of rotating my foot to blip the throttle or raise the brake pedal. I've got the base model with rubber pedals so will I have to drill into them to attach an aftermarket pedal?
Dave, those OMP pedals I showed you over the weekend were installed by drilling through my brake and clutch pedal. I had to drill a pilot hole first followed by a larger hole that can accommodate the bolts that came with the OMP package.

Also, I started a thread about pad knockback yesterday. Sometimes, if I forget to tap my brakes to get the pads pushed up against the rotors, my brake pedal will engage way lower causing me to have the problem you describe. If you already tap your brakes before a braking zone (especially after any long sweepers), then this is pretty much moot, and you will end up needing to get a pedal cover to provide that additional height you need.

OMP pedals are about 1/4" thick.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:58 AM
daveh

Originally Posted by daveh
My problem turned out to be bad speedbleeders. I was never getting a good bleed so my brake pedal was traveling a little farther than it should have. With the stock bleeders, I'm back in business.