Notices

How to wire interior neons

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 05:53 AM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Takhteh
The lights are in and working great! Took me some time, but the wires did in fact end up just as SantaCruz said, black/white--> (+), black--> (-). Don't know why they made them this way, but couldn't care less now! Thanks again for your help.
Congratulations! He finally got them to work!!

LOL
Old 04-11-2005, 06:13 PM
Srivero297

yeah solid black is usually a good universal indicator for a ground wire. When in doubt, the solid black is almost always the ground. (Only one time ive been wrong with that asumption, but that was on a Scion tC, not a Z, so dont worry )
a Volt Meter is a great tool for working with power wires and grounds and whatnot.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:18 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Originally Posted by Srivero297
yeah solid black is usually a good universal indicator for a ground wire. When in doubt, the solid black is almost always the ground. (Only one time ive been wrong with that asumption, but that was on a Scion tC, not a Z, so dont worry )
a Volt Meter is a great tool for working with power wires and grounds and whatnot.
Hey smart one, go check your original post. You're contradicting yourself! LOL
Old 04-19-2005, 09:27 AM
Srivero297

Originally Posted by Santacruzslick
Hey smart one, go check your original post. You're contradicting yourself! LOL
haha youre right. That was a typo in the original post. Its supposed to be that black is for ground and black with a white stripe is for power.
Ehh i feel really bad now, my stupid typo probably caused that poor guy a set of neons and a whole lot of headaches.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:04 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

haha youre right. That was a typo in the original post. Its supposed to be that black is for ground and black with a white stripe is for power.
Ehh i feel really bad now, my stupid typo probably caused that poor guy a set of neons and a whole lot of headaches.
HA!! Live with the guilt of your sin until the day death sets you free! LMAO
J/K but seriously...you should feel horrible.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:18 PM
OUTBURZT

Sorry for not answering this sooner- I havent checked this thread in a while.

Yes, the setup does allow for the neons to be left on even when the car is off, but it is not a problem. They draw very minimal power. Even if left on overnight they will not drain a battery. I have left mine on overnight and into the next day without any battery problems.

There is definately a way you could wire them to turn off w/ the car or something like that, or however else you would personally want it (I recently installed foglights on a car for someone who wanted them wired to turn on and off with his headlights, and that could be done), but for me, I wanted them to stay on after the car is off. I like how the neons glow within the car even while it is off at night. I just shut them off when I pull into my driveway for the last time at night.
Diddo
Old 07-15-2005, 07:12 AM
Kaitain

For those that want to have the lights on when the car is on but not otherwise you can use the ashtray light power line located in the middle of the center console, where the change holder is. I'll look up the diagram and post it. (I think it only provides power when the lights are on though)

As suggested you can also use the empty seat heater switch locations for your switch and it's right there. BAM! Bob's your Uncle.

<edit>

Here is the diagram. That line can handle 1.4 watts so two CCFL's will be no problem.
Attached Thumbnails How to wire interior neons-ashtraylight.gif  

Last edited by Kaitain; 07-15-2005 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:14 PM
donricouga

what about only on when the car door is open ?? Where to wire ?
Old 07-19-2005, 12:16 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Originally Posted by donricouga
what about only on when the car door is open ?? Where to wire ?
The door switch. Little rubber thingy sticking out just below the latch.
Old 07-31-2005, 01:43 PM
donricouga

Originally Posted by Santacruzslick
The door switch. Little rubber thingy sticking out just below the latch.
Is there a pic somewhere of how to do it ? I was hoping i can tap into one of the wires where the fuse box is. Any ideas ?
Old 07-31-2005, 01:53 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The issue is going to be that the driver's and passenger's door switches are seperate switches for a reason. If you open the driver's door with the keys in the ignition you'll get that darn beep-beep-beep - but if you open the passenger's door with the keys there you get nothing but light - no beeping.

What you need is a couple of diodes to "steer" the ground to your neons. I ran a cable from my battery supply to the neons and then ran the ground from each door switch to a diode - the two diodes were connected together and the center lead of the circut feeds the lights. When you open either door the lights come on - if you leave the key in the switch the beeping starts.

The door switches feed the BCM (body control module) which is in the driver's kick panel just below the fuse box. Pin 14 is the driver's door, pin 10 is the passengers, and pin 18 is the trunk.

The drawing is pointing out the speed pulse wire - the BCM is in the lower left-hand corner. I connected the wires to the switches as I mounted my circuits back in the console aft of the air bag diagnosis sensor unit. I ran the wires forward along the console to the cold cathode lamps in each foot-well. I'm going to add two more 12" long tubes to the front of each seat.

Last edited by Paul350Z; 07-31-2005 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-31-2005, 04:14 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

You can wire them to the cigarette lighter fuse if you want. They'll only come on when the car is on.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:58 PM
Bee Zee

Default first post... dont expect much

For the accessories in my Scion xB (aka trade in for the Z) I had some concerns about leaving aftermarket accessories on after I got out. You see, Im Polish and we commonly do things like this.

Anywho, I was also worried about asking a 12v switched wire for too much power for 4 neons, underglows, foglamps, many LEDS and, two 6" accent tubes... So I came up with this, which has probably already been marketed; a 12V high amperage switchable power bus. A power bus is also know as a "multi-tap", remember those things for 4 playstation controllers? Like that, but for power...

What I have is a standard 12V bus wired to a starter replay, wired to the battery. The starter relay is the only device drawing from an exisiting 12V switced wire. All this does is pretty much what an older starting system does. Completes a cicuit (to the bus) when a minimal amount of power is applied to the starter relay.

This has allowed me to not only easily add accessories and to have peace of mind about my battery, but has eliminated the threat of causing electrical issues within my car due to asking for too much power from a single 12V switched lead.

If this sounds conf00sing, let me know... I have a wicked awsome diagram.

No introduction here... their kinda cheezy...

Last edited by Bee Zee; 09-05-2005 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:03 AM
user 7490

Please, don't do this to your poor Z's. Stop watching FnF and modifying your cars in ways that hurt your drving ability, and make your car look like something out a of a sci-fi movie. It's just not cool.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:55 AM
JERZ33

Please dont do this to yourself. Stop being so close minded and opinionated in ways that hurt your social life. Its just not cool.

Are you going to tell us that "Honduhs" are "ghey" and the only real sport cars are the 350Z and the Skyline?

edit: As for a simple power bus solution, you can find a Bell multi accessory power bus (in blue or silver) at your local Pep Boys. Sells for like $30 or so and I beleive handles up to size accessories.

Last edited by JERZ33; 09-29-2005 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:32 PM
user 7490

I am very sorry for you that your social life depends on the car you drive rather than less materialistic things, such as personality and sense of humor. I guess I really don't know what I was thinking, because somehow I was very close minded when I became concerned that people who started mimicking things they saw in movies, such as Fast and Furious, might actually consider enhancing their ability.. excuse me.. "skillz" of sliding around in there cars recklessly by blinding themselves with interior neon lights. I'm sure that making the inside of your vehicle resemble the Vegas strip has a certain level of appeal to some of you, and that it makes you look very cool as you barrel down the road at night without letting your eyes adjust to the dark so you can actually see what you're about to hit. I was very selfish to have such thoughts.

As for your last assumption-centric comment...
Honda is not a car, it's a car manufacture brand name of a company who makes 2-3 vehicles in their entire line up which could be considered sports cars. Unless you consider the Element or Pilot sports cars also, I don't know. Perhaps you might turn off your neons so you can read things better.
The NSX, S2000, and RSX are the only current Honda built cars (Acura included.. another BRAND, not car itself, just so you know) which might be considered sports cars. The civic on the other hand, is not a sports car, whether it be the SI or otherwise. It is, as all classifications of it will prove, an economy car, regardless of how many ways one tries to change it, it remains a civic.

Your next thought I'm sure is you make sure I know about VTEC and 100hp/liter and other such Honda "performance" specifics. VTEC, no matter how much anyone wants to think otherwise, is a form of fuel economy disguised as a performance option. Putting restrictions on an engine until it reaches a determined RPM to release said restriction is NOT performance. 100HP/liter is also not a performance statistic, as much as it is an efficiency statistic, because the only real power that counts in terms of any form of racing is torque. But I'm sure you already knew that... Being that the torque on Honda engines is so low is just further proof to justify my previous statement that they are more economy than performance.

The 350Z and Skyline GT-R are, as they have been classified not only by their manufactures, but also numerous magazines, as true sports cars. However, this is not to say that these are the only true sports cars out there, in fact there are many others. The Corvette, Porsche 911 series, Dodge Viper, Pontiac GTO, any of the Ferrari line, Subaru WRX STi, Lancer Evolution, as well as many others, are also sports cars, unlike the aforementioned Civic.

So to answer your question, no, I don't think that, but thanks for playing.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:59 PM
Sensation350Z

Originally Posted by wizdumb
I am very sorry for you that your social life depends on the car you drive rather than less materialistic things, such as personality and sense of humor. I guess I really don't know what I was thinking, because somehow I was very close minded when I became concerned that people who started mimicking things they saw in movies, such as Fast and Furious, might actually consider enhancing their ability.. excuse me.. "skillz" of sliding around in there cars recklessly by blinding themselves with interior neon lights. I'm sure that making the inside of your vehicle resemble the Vegas strip has a certain level of appeal to some of you, and that it makes you look very cool as you barrel down the road at night without letting your eyes adjust to the dark so you can actually see what you're about to hit. I was very selfish to have such thoughts.

As for your last assumption-centric comment...
Honda is not a car, it's a car manufacture brand name of a company who makes 2-3 vehicles in their entire line up which could be considered sports cars. Unless you consider the Element or Pilot sports cars also, I don't know. Perhaps you might turn off your neons so you can read things better.
The NSX, S2000, and RSX are the only current Honda built cars (Acura included.. another BRAND, not car itself, just so you know) which might be considered sports cars. The civic on the other hand, is not a sports car, whether it be the SI or otherwise. It is, as all classifications of it will prove, an economy car, regardless of how many ways one tries to change it, it remains a civic.

Your next thought I'm sure is you make sure I know about VTEC and 100hp/liter and other such Honda "performance" specifics. VTEC, no matter how much anyone wants to think otherwise, is a form of fuel economy disguised as a performance option. Putting restrictions on an engine until it reaches a determined RPM to release said restriction is NOT performance. 100HP/liter is also not a performance statistic, as much as it is an efficiency statistic, because the only real power that counts in terms of any form of racing is torque. But I'm sure you already knew that... Being that the torque on Honda engines is so low is just further proof to justify my previous statement that they are more economy than performance.

The 350Z and Skyline GT-R are, as they have been classified not only by their manufactures, but also numerous magazines, as true sports cars. However, this is not to say that these are the only true sports cars out there, in fact there are many others. The Corvette, Porsche 911 series, Dodge Viper, Pontiac GTO, any of the Ferrari line, Subaru WRX STi, Lancer Evolution, as well as many others, are also sports cars, unlike the aforementioned Civic.

So to answer your question, no, I don't think that, but thanks for playing.
Where, in any of this thread, has ANYONE said they would like for their car to resemble something from The Fast and The Furious? You have your opinions; you think it`s ugly and no one cares.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:10 AM
350z bra

Pics?
Old 10-19-2005, 03:15 AM
NzZ

Guys I for one think that footwell lighting is awesome. I think the haters on this thread just haven't spent enough time in Porsches and other exotics, many of which are equipped with this option.

From what I recall porsche used to charge more than $500 for this...and I used to wonder how they could get away with it. A few years back I sat in a friend's new 911...when he opened the door i was mesmerized. It really does add a huge touch of class to the car. At night it's easy to get into...keeps you from scuffing the doors and whatnot. I wanted to get one of the nissan kits initially..(performance nissan has 2 kits)..but after looking at them they seem as difficult to install as a custom job...and the lamps themselves are unimpressive. I'd love to see pics of some of the jobs you guys did..they sound bada$$. I am clumsy and will have to go with LEDs...as soon as I get some pics of it working with opening the doors I'm in.
NzZ
Old 10-19-2005, 10:15 AM
JERZ33

Originally Posted by wizdumb
This cat needs a hug! Are your a social outcast? Picked on in high school? Feel like your hanging on the lowest step of the social latter? Someone get this guy a Perc and bring him back up to speed...

I am incredibly impressed with your knowledge of performance car names, the differences between a brand and a model and, your seemingly endless (yet pointless) knowledge of the Honda brand. Thank you for bringing me up to speed on a technology that has been studied, reviewed and, overstated since the mid-1990s. My formal apology follows...

Mr. Stalin/Marx/Hitler/Hussein/Wizdumb
I would like to apologize for having a personal sense of taste and style, as well as an opinion. I will try harder next time, and vow to stive to be perfect in your eyes.
Thank You
The United States of America

Did you know I turn my under seat lighting off while driving, or more to the point, did you ask? Did you assume the opposite? Cause when you assume, well you know. Ill return the favor and make a fair assumtion of you, just so we're on the same page. Take a break if you need too, dont want to overload you.

You are no more than a close minded tool whos sole intention on purchasing a Z was to impress the people who shun him. Unfortunatly you realize that personality (which you mentioned and lack) is REALLY what it takes to get invited out drinking with the guys. But, personality requires one to be open minded and tight-liped about things of personal taste or style which he does not agree with. Another unfortunate, because your overly opinionated and try to impress with bland, pointless and, unrelated information. You find your self alone with a car you probably cant afford. And, still, nobody likes you. All you have is a computer where you ATTEMPT to stomp on the opinions of others. So you reject us, because they rejected you. How pathetic. But Im open minded, so Ill await your apology.

ps - Remember this is only an assumption here. So, as I know you will, please feel free to correct me if Im wrong.

Last edited by JERZ33; 10-19-2005 at 10:24 AM.

Quick Reply: How to wire interior neons