Notices

DIY: 06 center console, and main guage cluster and window contorl removal.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 05:16 PM
rwalton1129

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY: 06 center console, and main guage cluster and window contorl removal.

Decided to try and write this up because I only found a removal of an 05 or below and there were a few differences...

It is not necessary to fully remove the shift boot but I found it easier. Start by unscrewing the shift ****, yes it does unscrew even if it is helod on by an ungodly amount of glue. I had to use channel locks and a towel. Next just pull up on the shift boot ring, it should just come right up. Next just disconnect the white connector from the ac controls.

Next open the cubbie compartment and lift up the lower mat. It should just pull up.

Next you will need to pop some covers that cover two of the screws that need to be removed. Here is a pic of the covers.

I found the easiest way to remove the cover is not to pry but to just stick a flat tipped screwdriver straight back toward the front of the car.

Next you will need to replace the two hidden screws and the other two screws that are near the bottom. Here is a pic of the four screw locations..

After you take the four screws off I started from the top and pulled toward the back of the car. Here is a pic of the only clip that holds the top of the center console.

Alright now for the main guage cluster I forgot to snag pics of the under side of the steering column but there is four screws under there that must be taken off. There are three in plain view but there is also one under the tilt lever. Just unlock the tilt lever and you will see it under there. After taking these four screws off pop off the ring that is around the key entrance, it just pops off. Then just work around and try to pull down on the panel. I have not found a real easy way to do it besides just pulling down at the turn signal and the wiper lever. After that there will be four 10mm bolts that need to be removed. Here is the pic of the left side.

and here is the right side.

As far as the window controls go there are no screws on the 06 just clips and trust me they hold it strong. It took about ten minutes to get the drivers side off. The passenger side you still have to remove the aluminum trim piece and take off the 10mm bolts that hold it on. Then just repeat the same as the driver side. Also just held on by clips.

I hope this helps any 06 owners that may find it useful. I want to add that this would not be possible without some help from minispider.

Any comments or improvments are appreciated.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:32 PM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice write-up! I thought there is a screw below the plastic by the door lock for the door panel removal?
Old 12-30-2006, 06:18 AM
rwalton1129

Not on my 06 there was nothing. I will take pics as soon as I get my stuff back from acree.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:21 AM
efx

Originally Posted by rwalton1129
Not on my 06 there was nothing. I will take pics as soon as I get my stuff back from acree.
im going to be installing my 06 cubby for another HU. I was wondering if you had any problems installing it or is it just plug and play? Thanks for the write up, been looking for this.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:07 AM
TreeZ

beautiful write-up. this couldn't of come at a better time! haha.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:02 AM
rwalton1129

Sorry guys deleted the pics off of photbucket without back ups...