Notices

DIY: Lip kit installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 06:21 AM
Brrcats

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY: Lip kit installation

Alright, after looking for instructions on how to do this I figured I'd just try and wing it. This is how it went.

Tools I used
drill & bit
phillips head screw driver
c-clamp

nuts, bolts, washers, screws, etc (included in the kit)

Alright, first things first, you have to attach the lip to the bumper, it will basically just clip on. I slid the middle section of the lip between the bumper and the grill.

Then clipped the left side around the wheel well, and followed with clipping the right side around the right side wheel well.

try not to slide the bumper around very much as it will scratch off your paint.

Now that the lip is physically on the bumper, I checked the fitment of the brackets. Being as my luck is **** it was pretty horrible when lined up with the pre-drilled holes on the lip. The back of the bracket that was supposed to attach to the bumper extended all the way to the undercarriage protector. I wish I had a picture of this, but its pretty self explanatory.

This is when I decided to drill my own holes in the lip in addition to the holes needed in the bumper. First I had to bend the brackets so that they would lie flat on the bumper and the lip, this is where I used my c-clamp and precise scientific measurement.

I then jacked the car up so that I had enough room to work the drill in and see what I was doing. I just used the one that came with the car.
I placed the bracket the furthest to the outside of the lip as I could and drilled the holes. Here is a photo showing the predrilled holes and the self drilled holes.

the predrilled holes are the two large white holes at the right side of the lip, the holes I drilled appear to be about halfway down the lip on the right side. This is actually only about a third of the way from the right side of the car, the perspective on that picture is a little scewed.

Once the holes are drilled you simply use the small bolts to go into the lip and I didnt have a drill bit large enough to drill a hole for my big bolts I used two of the self tapping screws to fasten the bumper side. This is where having the bumper off would come in handy since you cannot attach the nuts to any of the bolts unless its off, but since I used the self tapping screws I really didnt care. Its also very difficult to fasten the nuts to the bolts that hold the bracket to the lip, they are very small and the angle at which you are trying to put them on isnt very easy.
heres the brackets after being attached

looks like I need to screw that one in a little more.

Then you need to use the self tapping screws to attach the sides to the wheel well.

and the finished product

overall this cost me ~100 bucks to install since I didnt have a drill or bits, so I went out and bought one. Other than that it took very little time. I dont know how much a body shop will charge to do this, but I wouldnt pay someone more than ten bucks to do this for me.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:11 PM
ckhs8

thanks for the quick write-up. Looks awesome!
Old 07-20-2007, 08:19 AM
Brrcats

Originally Posted by ckhs8
thanks for the quick write-up. Looks awesome!
Thanks, I know it wasnt too technically difficult, but I had no idea what to expect before I tried. So hopefully other people can take a look and realize how easy it is and do it themselves.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:51 AM
skochur

sweet writeup.....i like the lip too esp since i have the same color...what kind of lip is that??
Old 08-01-2007, 05:27 PM
350Z84

Good write-up. I should receive my Vielside lip next week and will be putting it on myself.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:03 AM
Brrcats

Originally Posted by skochur
sweet writeup.....i like the lip too esp since i have the same color...what kind of lip is that??
thanks, I just figured might as well write something up if there wasnt one already. Pretty sure its the nismo replica lip. I bought it from a guy, not from the actual online store.

Fitment was a little off on the drivers side and I'm going to bend it a little using a heat gun, but its not noticeable.

overall very easy to do, very easy.