MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Body, Interior, Exterior & Lighting (DIY) (https://my350z.com/forum/body-interior-exterior-and-lighting-diy-460/)
-   -   DIY: DETAILED wheel stud replacement (front & rear ARP wheel stud friendly) (https://my350z.com/forum/body-interior-exterior-and-lighting-diy/294698-diy-detailed-wheel-stud-replacement-front-and-rear-arp-wheel-stud-friendly.html)

pangoman 11-15-2008 07:08 PM

I've replaced a wheel stud on my truck before and didn't pull the calipers and rotor off before doing it. Why did you have to do it on the Z?

3hree5ive0ero 11-15-2008 10:48 PM

^ You can't access the stud after you tap it out with the rotor there, which can't be taken off with the calipers there.

pangoman 11-25-2008 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero (Post 6562322)
^ You can't access the stud after you tap it out with the rotor there, which can't be taken off with the calipers there.

Yeah, just replaced one wheel stud on my driver rear wheel this past weekend. Now I see what you mean...lol. BTW, your instructions helped trmendously. One tip for those that are banging away on the rear rotor to get it off - If you loosen the ebrake all the way through the little plugged hole on the outside of the rotor then the rotor will come off without having to beat the crap out of it with a sledgehammer.

Here is a link to the full instructions for how to remove the rear rotor. See post #5.

https://my350z.com/forum/autocross-r...ml#post3173770

Brad350 11-25-2008 07:12 AM

I was going to replace a broken stud myself to save some cash, which I recently broke off while removing my wheels to paint my calipers. But I just took her in for an oil change at the dealer and mentioned that I was missing a lugnut and it appeared that the stud was sheared off. I told them I hadn't touched it since they had recently put new tires on my car. They apologized, gave me a free oil change, and replaced the stud for free! Thanks for the DIY though!

MetallicZDriVer 02-11-2009 12:06 AM

I will be following these steps in a couple days as well now that i broke 1 of mines off too

McGuckin 02-14-2009 04:55 AM

Thanks for the DIY. Just did this and the tip for removing the caliper brace is the best.

quakerroatmeal 02-15-2009 10:08 AM

I need to do mines sometime soon as well.

NISMOFO 03-25-2009 02:21 PM

Awesome thread...finally found it. I'm going to try this soon...hopefully next week.

3hree5ive0ero 03-25-2009 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by NISMOFO (Post 7121458)
Awesome thread...finally found it. I'm going to try this soon...hopefully next week.

You getting longer studs or did you break the OEM one?

Citrus 03-25-2009 06:57 PM

Thanks for the DIY, I'm in the process of replacing my rear studs (thanks to chitty Muteki lug nuts...). Could you possibly move this to the Brakes and Suspension DIY area so its a bit easier to find? Doesn't seem like it belongs in "Body, Exterior, Interior and Lighting."

BallZdeepNYC 03-25-2009 08:56 PM

best write up for this i have seen i have to do my passenger rear one as well it is stripped. But i have bigger issues i think my wheel bearings are no good going to dealer for appointment tommorow afternoon to check i hope its covered under warranty

3hree5ive0ero 03-26-2009 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by Citrus (Post 7122646)
Thanks for the DIY, I'm in the process of replacing my rear studs (thanks to chitty Muteki lug nuts...). Could you possibly move this to the Brakes and Suspension DIY area so its a bit easier to find? Doesn't seem like it belongs in "Body, Exterior, Interior and Lighting."

No problem.

You can put this under your bookmark, search for this thread under my name, search through my "created threads," or just look through your subscribed threads since you replied, if you're having trouble finding this thread.

Originally Posted by SiCKBLaCKMaX99 (Post 7123134)
best write up for this i have seen i have to do my passenger rear one as well it is stripped. But i have bigger issues i think my wheel bearings are no good going to dealer for appointment tommorow afternoon to check i hope its covered under warranty

Thanks.

NISMOFO 03-27-2009 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero (Post 7121859)
You getting longer studs or did you break the OEM one?

I'm going to do a 5mm spacer in the rear. I'm just iffy about the parking brake part. I'm not going to beat my break rotor off...that's for sure. And I might have the rear rotors turned while they're off.

3hree5ive0ero 03-27-2009 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by NISMOFO (Post 7128875)
I'm going to do a 5mm spacer in the rear. I'm just iffy about the parking brake part. I'm not going to beat my break rotor off...that's for sure. And I might have the rear rotors turned while they're off.

Why would you even beat your brake rotor? If they don't come off after you take off your lug nuts, then tapping it from the inside (toward outside) with a mallet should loosen it enough.

If you mean the stud, I'm not sure how else you could get that out. Is there another way?

Also, where do you get your rotors turned around here?

NISMOFO 03-27-2009 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero (Post 7130774)
Why would you even beat your brake rotor? If they don't come off after you take off your lug nuts, then tapping it from the inside (toward outside) with a mallet should loosen it enough.

If you mean the stud, I'm not sure how else you could get that out. Is there another way?

Also, where do you get your rotors turned around here?

I've never had my rotors turned...for the fronts, I just replaced them with brand new OEM rotors. I was going to do the same with the rears, but they look fine. I do have R-Tune pads though. I might to the rotors to some place like Goodyear.

I have only skimmed through the instructions, but I thought there was another link that showed how to properly release the e-brake and the rotor would just pull right off like the front rotors do?

3hree5ive0ero 03-27-2009 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by NISMOFO (Post 7130899)
I've never had my rotors turned...for the fronts, I just replaced them with brand new OEM rotors. I was going to do the same with the rears, but they look fine. I do have R-Tune pads though. I might to the rotors to some place like Goodyear.

I have only skimmed through the instructions, but I thought there was another link that showed how to properly release the e-brake and the rotor would just pull right off like the front rotors do?

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
8: Remove the brake caliper bracket and the rotor and set it aside. They should just slide right out.

Apparently, mine just slid right out. I do remember loosening them up a little with the mallet, though. And the hand brake should be down already, since you have to turn the hub to align the [broken] stud to an empty area anyway.

quakerroatmeal 03-27-2009 02:45 PM

Mines was seized. Would not come out for crap. Had to get a giant breaker bar and break it loose before it would slide right off. Took a good 15minutes before I could take one side off.

TARGET350Z 06-07-2009 12:44 PM

Great write up. Just one quick question. Any tips on breaking the bolts on the right rear side? I'm having a very hard time (even after using breaker bar and wd40). Thanks, Devin

Edit- Trying some liquid wrench as we speak..hopefully it will do the trick

3hree5ive0ero 06-07-2009 09:55 PM

Did you ever get the bolts out? Using a gigantic breaker bar or extending your breaker bar using a pipe will be helpful. And always spray the PB Blaster or whatever on all the bolts you'll work on prior to beginning your work.

TARGET350Z 06-11-2009 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero (Post 7415980)
Did you ever get the bolts out? Using a gigantic breaker bar or extending your breaker bar using a pipe will be helpful. And always spray the PB Blaster or whatever on all the bolts you'll work on prior to beginning your work.

Thanks for the follow up!! I did eventually get them off..took me a all day but I think it was a matter of getting the right angle and not being too gentle when pulling on it. So far so good. Curious question though..thoughts on thread lock and torquing bolts down? I didn neither and just tighted it flush by hand.:dunno: