Notices

DIY Roof Racks - Not for the Z

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 06:48 PM
cwv_558

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Roof Racks - Not for the Z

Alright well, this is my first DIY, and my first thread for that matter so I'll try to do this right.

For those of you who have another car other than the 350z for family vacations, hauling, etc, here's a little project I did today to make some roof racks for a vacation that I'll be going on this summer.

The Chrysler dealership wanted to charge $230 for their roof racks, so I said "F*** that!!" and headed to home depot. This mod will be vehicle specific, so you're gonna have to be creative in mounting it. I doubt you'll all be as lucky as I was.

Covering these in a spray on bed-liner is a pretty good idea that I didn't think of until after painting them. It would make them look more rugged and protect them a bit better.
Also, I know it doesn't look like the way I mounted it is very strong, but trust me, it is. Probably stronger than the factory one.

***I used a galvanized steel pipe, which is unfortunately not good for painting, I didn't think about it when I bought it. They do sell special primer for painting galvanized, which I also didn't get ***

Build time - 3-5 hours

Materials Needed -
Galvanized Steel Pipe (try to get something other than galvanized if painting) - $15
4 washers that fit your application - $2
P320 & P600 Wetsand paper - $4
Primer rattle can- $4
Krylon Gloss Black rattle can - $5
Krylon Flat Clear rattle can - $5
Total = ~$35

I started by cutting the pipe to size. I used a sawzall but a hacksaw will do.

Next, I had to bend it to fit the curve of the roof and make it look a little better. First I tried standing on it, but I found that wedging it between the steps on my porch works pretty well.

Next I did a test fit, and showing you how I am mounting them on the Pacifica.

Now it's time for Prep and Paint.
First use a file on the end to remove sharp edges. Then sand the pipe with P320. After sanding, you'll need to thoroughly wash it with soap before priming it.

Spray a coat of primer, wait 5 minutes, then spray another coat. Wait ~15-20 minutes.

**Be careful handling the pieces, because they can feel dry, but it will still be very easy to leave a finger print**

Then lightly wetsand the primer with P600 to remove any flaws. After sanding, re-clean the pipe with rubbing alcohol and wipe with a shop towel.

Now spray an even coat of black paint, while being careful not to get runs, or you'll have to spend extra time wetsanding them out. Wait 10 minutes, then spray another coat. Repeat again if you're feeling frisky and want a 3rd coat. The paint takes a lot longer to dry, wait ~25-30 minutes.

**Make sure the paint is dry, or else it will roll up when sanding and you'll have a mess to fix**

Again, lightly sand out any flaws by wetsanding with P600.
Clean again with rubbing alcohol and a shop towel.

Make sure you check for any dirt or dust before you spray the clear. It's best to spray multiple thin, even, coats instead of one thick coat to prevent runs and spidering.

Spray a coat, wait 5 minutes, spray again. Repeat until you have 4-5 coats if not more, because the clear is going to protect the racks from getting scratched from use.

Remember those washers? They need to be painted with the same process, except you can skip the sanding between primer, paint, clear. They don't need to be pretty.

After everything has dried overnight, they can be installed on the car.

Congrats!!! You just saved $200