Notices

Painted door handles, removal and installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 09:35 PM
slmdchvy05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plastidip goes on just like spray paint and dries quicker too. That is a good idea because people talk about how good that stuff sticks to emblems and grills with little to no rock chips. When I get around to redoing mine I may try that.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:30 AM
350zeed

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And I guess it can live through a car wash too? I'm talking about automatic ones, not by hand ones. It just seems so easy to peel off.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:25 AM
morphiusrt

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 350zeed
And I guess it can live through a car wash too? I'm talking about automatic ones, not by hand ones. It just seems so easy to peel off.
I am going to be doing mine when I get my car back with plasti dip but I am taking an extra step for protection and using the clear 3m bra stuff to cover most of the handle. I will get some pics up once I get it done.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:57 AM
350zeed

I'm going to do mine here in about an hour, lol, just went and bought a magnitized screwdriver. Any hints and tips on how to spray inside the handle?
Old 03-14-2012, 10:39 AM
350zeed

Well all came out well, except the front, center piece on the bottom of the bumper. It looks like spray paint. So im going to peel it off and spray a thicker coat
Old 03-14-2012, 10:51 AM
morphiusrt

Originally Posted by 350zeed
Well all came out well, except the front, center piece on the bottom of the bumper. It looks like spray paint. So im going to peel it off and spray a thicker coat
Just make sure to do very thin coats. When I first did it I thought you had go on thick but you don't at all.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:38 AM
JonBell

I have done mine in Plasti Dip and I just recently ran into a problem. It has been on for about a year now and it just started to peel from the inside of the handle slowly making its way to the outside. I just took it all off last week and plan on redoing it just this time trying to get deeper on the inside part so it won't peel again. Only problem with it, other than that super easy to clean and never had a peeling/chipping problem with car washes or anything other than opening the door.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:34 PM
350zeed

Well I did my thin on the inside of the handle so it will peel off and break off on the inside, I was trying to think ahead, everyone grabs it differently, I open with my thumb, some use their whole hand.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:12 PM
blackcloud

Thanks AstroZombie. Just replaced a broken door handle following your directions. Never would have been able to figure it out without the excellent pics.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:44 PM
big_dish

I just did mine today, same graphite color that I painted my wheels and front/rear emblems. The car looks so much better without the silver handles.

Name:  doorhandle2.png
Views: 1230
Size:  735.8 KB
Name:  doorhandle.jpg
Views: 1147
Size:  107.1 KB
Name:  doorhandle3.png
Views: 1155
Size:  634.1 KB
Old 09-18-2012, 05:48 AM
NOLAGG

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok so I painted all my badges and front reflectors in plasti dip and it came out flawless . My next project to tackle is the handles . Now
Y question along with a few others I've seen not responded too is what is the best way to paint them on the car and or off the car . How do ou prep then on the car and also how do you guys paint the inside and what has to be taped off ? Any clear needed and if so what brand how many coats ect. Im sorry for these questions I just need a guarenteed answer to those questions so I can do this right the first time ! Please don't kill me !
Old 09-18-2012, 07:10 AM
slmdchvy05

Originally Posted by NOLAGG
Ok so I painted all my badges and front reflectors in plasti dip and it came out flawless . My next project to tackle is the handles . Now
Y question along with a few others I've seen not responded too is what is the best way to paint them on the car and or off the car . How do ou prep then on the car and also how do you guys paint the inside and what has to be taped off ? Any clear needed and if so what brand how many coats ect. Im sorry for these questions I just need a guarenteed answer to those questions so I can do this right the first time ! Please don't kill me !
I took the handles off the car and on the back side of the handle there is a plastic clip that you can twit around to hold the handle open, but you will want to put a coat with the handle close. I did about 3 coats of paint and 3-4 light coats of flat clear to achieve the best results and durablility. To do that you have to open and close the handle each coat so that you get a even coat on the front where when the handle is open/pulled out it covers a portion of the handle, trust me it will look so much better because I tried both ways 1st time with the handle closed and 2nd time open & closed. Make sure you use some plastic or laytex gloves when doing so or the oils from your hands will not allow the paint to stick very good. I sanded mine with 320 grit sand paper and then used a degreaser to clean it real good, then I used self etching primer about 2 decent coats will be plenty and when that dried I wet sanded it with 600 grit sand paper real good and degreased it again. Before I painted them I used a Grey scotch bright bad to make sure they were scuffed up real good to insure the paint will stick and then degreased them one last time before painting. I cut up a wire clothes hanger to hang/hold the handles while I painted them and to hang them out of the way to dry.
I ordered a couple of spray cans of the factory matched super black paint for my cars paint code from "www.paintscratch.com"
The primer I got from walmart "Grey self etching primer"
The flat/matt clear I bought from walmart too "Krylon flat clear" FYI if you use the flat clear or semi flat clear you are going to be like WTF, but yes it comes out with a white/milky haze to it and will go away.

I have been really happy with the duribility and quality of the out come of them. I can not express how durable the it will be because they have been redoing the highways in my area and the loose gravel on the roads have chipped my bumper and hood but not a scratch on my handles.

I dont have any close up pics but this is the best one that I have for my car

Old 09-18-2012, 08:01 AM
NOLAGG

Originally Posted by slmdchvy05
I took the handles off the car and on the back side of the handle there is a plastic clip that you can twit around to hold the handle open, but you will want to put a coat with the handle close. I did about 3 coats of paint and 3-4 light coats of flat clear to achieve the best results and durablility. To do that you have to open and close the handle each coat so that you get a even coat on the front where when the handle is open/pulled out it covers a portion of the handle, trust me it will look so much better because I tried both ways 1st time with the handle closed and 2nd time open & closed. Make sure you use some plastic or laytex gloves when doing so or the oils from your hands will not allow the paint to stick very good. I sanded mine with 320 grit sand paper and then used a degreaser to clean it real good, then I used self etching primer about 2 decent coats will be plenty and when that dried I wet sanded it with 600 grit sand paper real good and degreased it again. Before I painted them I used a Grey scotch bright bad to make sure they were scuffed up real good to insure the paint will stick and then degreased them one last time before painting. I cut up a wire clothes hanger to hang/hold the handles while I painted them and to hang them out of the way to dry.
I ordered a couple of spray cans of the factory matched super black paint for my cars paint code from "www.paintscratch.com"
The primer I got from walmart "Grey self etching primer"
The flat/matt clear I bought from walmart too "Krylon flat clear" FYI if you use the flat clear or semi flat clear you are going to be like WTF, but yes it comes out with a white/milky haze to it and will go away.

I have been really happy with the duribility and quality of the out come of them. I can not express how durable the it will be because they have been redoing the highways in my area and the loose gravel on the roads have chipped my bumper and hood but not a scratch on my handles.

I dont have any close up pics but this is the best one that I have for my car

Hey man thanks a lot for responding with such detail and all, much appreciated . Just maybe I'm not reading it correctly plus for the fact im at work and can't totally focus but how exactly are ou covering the whole handle inside specifically ..? Your spraying the outside ... Letting that coat set , then putting your latex glove on and holding it open and spraying again ? lol im some what lost here my apologies
Old 09-18-2012, 08:07 AM
NOLAGG

Also what's your time period Inbetween spraying both plasti ad clear ?
Old 09-18-2012, 08:51 AM
slmdchvy05

I just put some pics in my album showing what I mean on the handle. I gave it about 15min between coats of paint and wait about 30min to an hour to clear coat them and about 15min between coats of clear. You will want to give them a few hours before touching them or putting them back on and be careful when putting them on in case they are not completely dry or you will leave finger prints or even mess up the paint.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:53 AM
slmdchvy05

I posted the pics from my phone so I'm sorry if the are upside down or sideways
Old 09-22-2012, 11:24 PM
A-Town-Z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NOLAGG
Hey man thanks a lot for responding with such detail and all, much appreciated . Just maybe I'm not reading it correctly plus for the fact im at work and can't totally focus but how exactly are ou covering the whole handle inside specifically ..? Your spraying the outside ... Letting that coat set , then putting your latex glove on and holding it open and spraying again ? lol im some what lost here my apologies
Read this:
Originally Posted by slmdchvy05
I took the handles off the car and on the back side of the handle there is a plastic clip that you can twit around to hold the handle open, but you will want to put a coat with the handle closed...
Old 09-24-2012, 12:55 PM
slmdchvy05

With the handles off the car they will look like this "OFF THE CAR" I just used something to prop my handle open to show you the difference from open and closed possion that I was talking about. You will use the plastic clip that you will see on the backside when you take the handles off "the clip that attcahes the rods to the handles" you can twist it to keep the handle open and then twist it back to close it.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:30 PM
phased1

Hello, I recently sanded and painted my door handles with 3 coats. It has only been 2 months and it is already chipping.

I plan to sand it and redo them could someone please recommend me a primer or clear coat since that's what I missed. I want to do it properly this time.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:59 AM
morphiusrt

Originally Posted by phased1
Hello, I recently sanded and painted my door handles with 3 coats. It has only been 2 months and it is already chipping.

I plan to sand it and redo them could someone please recommend me a primer or clear coat since that's what I missed. I want to do it properly this time.
Any decent brand like krylon or something like that would be fine.

Quick Reply: Painted door handles, removal and installation