Old 07-29-2010, 01:14 PM
epidemic007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

o im DEFFFF doin this on sat......can we say fujitsubo burnt titatanium
Old 07-29-2010, 01:54 PM
350zion
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks again... I wanted a burnt Ti look on the shifter for a while but as far as I kno the only NISMO **** Ive seen wit the burnt finish was a polished ****. Mostly anything thats done is polished first. That polished look dont match anything on the interior of a Z . All the trim is brushed so I purchased a brushed Ti **** to match. Then I figured y not hit it wit the torch and get the same look outta it but in a brushed finish. And the best thing is that If it wears or scrathes all I have to do is sand it back down wit a 3m pad and burn it again.. Best thing since sliced bread. Easy mod great looking.. Thanks for the input guys...
Old 07-29-2010, 05:51 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by epidemic007
o im DEFFFF doin this on sat......can we say fujitsubo burnt titatanium
Is your Fuji titanium?
Old 07-29-2010, 05:54 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by scotts300
I believe they are, that asking price is insane.
Yea... it is, theres another for sale in the classifieds section.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:31 PM
ocdz

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Some magazine had a write up on how to achieve the burnt titanium effect using a stick welder. Apparently this same oxidation level can be built by creating a bath of diet coke with the ground electrode attached to piece of metal submerged in the coke, and the positive electrode attached to the titanium piece. I'm not saying I want to try this but in theory it is safe. The reason for doing this rather than the burning method is that the oxidation is much more controllable and varying the voltage results in different colors of oxidation.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:18 PM
350zion
Professional

Originally Posted by ryamartin
Some magazine had a write up on how to achieve the burnt titanium effect using a stick welder. Apparently this same oxidation level can be built by creating a bath of diet coke with the ground electrode attached to piece of metal submerged in the coke, and the positive electrode attached to the titanium piece. I'm not saying I want to try this but in theory it is safe. The reason for doing this rather than the burning method is that the oxidation is much more controllable and varying the voltage results in different colors of oxidation.
I guess
But i will say that It was fairly easy to control this because I used a torch and started at the point I wanted blue and worked my way down. The longer u hold a flame to the same spot the more oxidation that will occur, so if u hold the flame on the tip of ur work piece for say 45 seconds until it turns blue then work away from that spot u will get the purple then finally gold/yellow ofcoarse using less of a concentration of the flame in one spot, for less time each time u move. Sounds plausible Good luck wit the diet coke and arc welder jus be careful and dont blow urself up...

Last edited by 350zion; 08-01-2010 at 06:21 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:39 PM
ocdz

Originally Posted by 350zion
I guess
But i will say that It was fairly easy to control this because I used a torch and started at the point I wanted blue and worked my way down. The longer u hold a flame to the same spot the more oxidation that will occur, so if u hold the flame on the tip of ur work piece for say 45 seconds until it turns blue then work away from that spot u will get the purple then finally gold/yellow ofcoarse using less of a concentration of the flame in one spot, for less time each time u move. Sounds plausible Good luck wit the diet coke and arc welder jus be careful and dont blow urself up...
Like I said I don't plan on doing it. I was just saying there are more precise ways of achieving this same effect, Your torch job is good, but companies that do this obviously do it in a way that offers much more uniformity. Also I don't believe the danger would really be in any kind of explosion.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:05 PM
350zion
Professional

Originally Posted by ryamartin
Like I said I don't plan on doing it. I was just saying there are more precise ways of achieving this same effect, Your torch job is good, but companies that do this obviously do it in a way that offers much more uniformity. Also I don't believe the danger would really be in any kind of explosion.
Listen I can do this all day but Im not gonna jus wanna entertain the idea of the dangers of using an arc welding machine to color titanium. This was taken from a random welding web site forum, the OP asked which is more dangerous AC or DC this is one answer I grabbed off the site:
There are too many variables to give a straight AC or DC answer. Going back to basics V=I x R. It is usually a Voltage that you will come in contact with that will cause a Current to flow thru your body. The Resistance of your body will determine how much current will flow thru your body. This will depend on many factors - skin resistance, sweat, wet fingers, rubber boots, wet floor etc.

Remember it only takes 6mA through your heart to kill you. That is why many old timers will put their left hand in their pocket when fiddling inside live equipment. The natural reaction is to grab the chassis with your left hand and poke around with your right hand. If you get a shock the current will run up your right hand across your chest (thru your heart) and exit to the chassis via your left hand. Put your hand in your pocket and the current must find another path.

Some say that DC shocks are worse because your muscules cramp up where as AC tends to make them convulse. As a result DC is more likely to make you hang on where as AC is more likely to throw you off. Again that is why old timers tend to touch a potentially live part (for example an electric fence) with the back of the hand so that a shock will cause the hand to be moved away where as if you touch it with the open palm there is more chance of grabing the live item.

Some also say that 110VAC is more dangerous than 240VAC because 240VAC is more likely to kick you off than 110VAC. I suggest that you try to avoid both and AC and DC!!!

Added after 18 minutes:

An electric welder can have an open circuit voltage up to about 100v between the electrode and work terminals. It is not unusal for welders to get a shock - especially when changing rods. Again there are many variables - sweaty body because of the PPE they are wearing, wet gloves, wet conditions etc.

Many welders are now fitted with VRD's - Voltage Reduction Devices to reduce the chance of electric shocks. VRD's sense that the Welder is not welding and limit the open circuit voltage to 20-30 Volts.

Some Welders don't like VRD's as they say that the VRD makes it harder to stike an arc because of the delay caused by the VRD sensing that the Welder is actually welding and allowing full voltage to appear at the terminals.

Now Im not tryin to discredit ur opinion but I will say, If some one who has no experience in anything mecchanical the easier and safer way to color Titanium would probably be with a flame. At the worst u might get burned but u will not lose ur life , IMO electricity and liquids do not mix.So coke water **** its all the same A LIQUID and my post is in no way intended for ppl to go out and get injured, Im sure that if a person knows how to adjust the current thru an arc machine they might be able to pull this off however for the DO IT URSELFER I jus dont think its safe, And as a matter of fact the technique u speak of may be done in a controlled setting such as a factory where this is what they do. As u stated companies do this. Again not for the everyday DIY.So as I finished my previous post Ill restate that good luck dont blow urself up, In other words dont get electrocuted. Sorry if I pissed u off but jackin my thread aint happening especially since ur 2 cents may kill someone..,...

Last edited by 350zion; 08-03-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:15 PM
350zion
Professional

BTW the process I believe ur referring to may be anodizing which again the everyday DIY cannot do by themselves. My thread was to promote 350 z enthusiasts looking to add something nice to their ride an idea how to do this. I am all for ppl doin their own work theres so much more satisfaction. And lastly if u can afford to send a piece out to be anodized u can afford to buy it already colored...IMO
Straight from wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anodising

Anodized titanium

selected colors achievable through anodization of titanium.
Anodized titanium is used in a recent generation of dental implants. An anodized oxide layer has a thickness in the range of 500 to 1000 angstroms, much thicker than that for a naturally formed oxide layer, which has a range of 50 to 250 angstroms.[citation needed]
Titanium anodic films cannot be made thicker than about 300nm, and are therefore susceptible to mechanical damage.[9] Standards for titanium anodizing are given by AMS 2487 and AMS 2488.
Anodizing titanium generates an array of different colors without dyes, for which it is sometimes used in art, costume jewelry, body piercing jewellery and wedding rings. The color formed is dependent on the thickness of the oxide (which is determined by the anodising voltage); it is caused by the interference of light reflecting off the oxide surface with light traveling through it and reflecting off the underlying metal surface. Titanium nitride coatings can also be formed, which have a brown or golden color and have the same wear and corrosion benefits as anodization.

I cant make this shlt up

Last edited by 350zion; 08-03-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:23 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Y'all trippin you can do this with 12volt batteries for RC remote controls. No one is going to die from a little 12volt battery.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:19 PM
350zion
Professional

Originally Posted by dikspiel
Y'all trippin you can do this with 12volt batteries for RC remote controls. No one is going to die from a little 12volt battery.
Can u really? Thats cool.. I aint tryin to be a dick, but if ur gonna post up make sure u kno wat ur talkin about and be clear on wat ur sayin.. dude was talkin about an arc welder not an effin battery. If it can be done wit a battery tho thats cool didnt kno that. Thanks for the input... maybe i am a dyck..SO WAT!
Old 08-04-2010, 05:59 PM
ocdz

Originally Posted by 350zion
Can u really? Thats cool.. I aint tryin to be a dick, but if ur gonna post up make sure u kno wat ur talkin about and be clear on wat ur sayin.. dude was talkin about an arc welder not an effin battery. If it can be done wit a battery tho thats cool didnt kno that. Thanks for the input... maybe i am a dyck..SO WAT!
jesus christ... quote yourself "if ur gonna post up make sure u kno wat ur talkin about and be clear on wat ur sayin.." you just copied and pasted some **** from wikipedia. Obviously you have no clue what you're talking about. I was just saying as an FYI not a DIY. Does there really need to be a DIY on how to use a ****ing torch?? Congratu****inlations a 12 year old pyro could have completed your project, which judging from your typing you possibly are.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:12 PM
350zion
Professional

listen I give up u obviously have free time on ur hands to go back n forth I wasn't giving a how to on using a torch jus Wat I did wit mine ur entitled to ur own opinion but if you feel Theres a better way to do something then y not post ur own thread. its that simple pal thanks for all the entertainment u win ... good luck wit ur life and for those who appreciated n left comments thanks good luck wit ur projects....

Last edited by 350zion; 08-04-2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:34 PM
epidemic007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flo-ridaZ33
Is your Fuji titanium?

i know im a lil late but yes it is and depending on when my car gets finished getting the new control arm installed, im gonna try a lil blow torch action to see how this actually comes out.....pics to come hopefully with a great turnout.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:20 PM
350zion
Professional

Originally Posted by epidemic007
i know im a lil late but yes it is and depending on when my car gets finished getting the new control arm installed, im gonna try a lil blow torch action to see how this actually comes out.....pics to come hopefully with a great turnout.
how did it work out? in for pix....
Old 11-18-2010, 04:46 PM
BoomerZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow i just saw this. great job bro!

too bad i should've given you my titanium before i sold it