Notices

Putting two rear windshield wiper removal with sprayer removal the easiest way

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 02:17 PM
evoforlife

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting two rear windshield wiper removal with sprayer removal the easiest way

I've been researching a lot lately about deleting the rear windshield wiper but couldn't find one that incorporated everything into one. I found two good ways of deleting both the wiper and the window squirter and in my opinion are the best and easiest to do without using and liquid sealant or super glue. I went to Home depot and found the faucet stopper and a 7/8in nylon hole plug.

supplies needed:

Faucet Stopper (Home Depot) sink section

7/8 inch nylon hole plug (Home Depot) screw section

PTFE thread seal tap (Advance Auto)

Silver Nissan Paint (Advance Auto)

Krylon black paint (Advance Auto)

Clear coat (Advance Auto)

Tools needed:

Needle nose pliers

Serrated knife

Spatula

Electrical tape

10mm socket

12mm socket

socket wrench

flashlight

1) paint both pieces from Home Depot for the sprayer black and for the wiper whatever color your car is. Mine was silver and I used Platinum Met which was the closest to my car's silver color and matched up almost perfectly. I used 2 coats of primer, 3 coats of silver paint, 2 coats of clear coat for the wiper plug. With the sprayer the Krylon paint does not need prime so i just painted it and did not clear coat it.

2) Next start taking the wiper off, first pull off the plastic cover that hides the 12mm bolt. Then using a 12mm socket take the nut off that holds the wiper to the wiper motor. Using both hands put one hand in the far back of the wiper and the other in the front of the bolt on the washer and gently rock it back in forth towards the back and front of the car. My car has 140k miles on it and it took less then 30 seconds to take the wiper off, I've read a lot about people having trouble taking the wiper off and this is the best way to do it, as pictured below.

3)Now for that annoying plastic cover that is very tightly sealed that you can barely get your fingers under. I found that one of the inside panels is loose enough to easily get you fingers under and pry the plastic up enough to put a a spatula under then get your finger in the very front to easily pull the cover off.

4) Next the wiper motor uninstall is very straight forward. Just unclip the connector to the wiper motor and the three 10mm bolts that attach the motor to the trunk itself. Then pull it out gently and push the grummet out from the bottom of the trunk upward. I also taped and zip tied the connector back to the trunk so it wasn't banging against the plastic cover when i put it back on.

http://i964.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1288907740

5) Installing the Faucet Stopper is the next step. From the top put the faucet stopper through the windshield wiper hole and make sure you center it so the rubber washer is around the hole to insure its a tight seal and be sure to clean around the hole before tightening. Then go underneath the trunk and tighten the wing-nut plastic nut to the stopper. you might need to wiggle it around a little bit so that it clears the metal in the space where you are tightening it.

6) Next cut the excess plastic from the stopper from underneath the trunk. I used a Knife to cut it right off while the stopper was in the car as i had enough room to do so. If you want you could make the stopper where you should cut to clear the plastic cover then take it back off and cut it with whatever. I just thought it would be easier to just do it while it was on the car.

7)Now that your done with the windshield wiper its onto the window sprayer. Taking the sprayer is kinda tricky as i needed to get inside the trunk and pull off some of the rubber trim around the trunk near the sprayer. This made it easier to see where i needed to put the needle nose pliers. There is a clip on the right and left side of the sprayer that you need to clamp with the need nose then push up at the same time. This took a couple tries but isn't too bad to get. Then put a screw into the sprayer whole with some thread sealer and zip tie it in place and it wouldn't hurt putting some take around it to insure no rattles.

8) Now take your 7/8in plug and you need to sand done the bottom of it to fit into the space where the sprayer use to be. You can keep trying to stick it into the spot and see how much further you need to sand down. I used a circular saw and just ran it and put the plug onto the wheel when it was spinning and worked perfectly, probably not the safest but I've been doing stuff like this for a long time now with other cars. once you get the right hight of the nylon hole plug put the thread seal tape around the bottom of the plug to seal from water and put it into the sprayer hole.

9) Finally install the plastic trunk cover by putting it back up and lining up the clip in holders and push firmly around the plastic cover. Now you are done with you wiper and sprayer delete.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:08 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up

Excellent work. Very clean.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:10 PM
evoforlife

Originally Posted by davidv
Excellent work. Very clean.
Thank you sir, it started raining 30 seconds after i finished it and everything sealed up great!
Old 11-04-2010, 03:11 PM
Neu Era

nice DIY
Old 07-07-2011, 03:33 PM
Brogan07

Need some help with this. I'm on my 3rd diff color blue and it still does not really match. San Marino Blue (BW5) does not seem to be in any autostore's paint match books either.

I've tried a Dark Blue Metallic (GM color), a Dark Blue Pearl (Toyota) (the closest match), and a Dark Blue (Ford), but none seem to be dark enough to match.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:51 AM
beezee

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Nice work