Notices

DIY: 350z 06 headlight upgrade walkthrough

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 08:44 PM
RENFRO

Received 105 Likes on 72 Posts

Look at this image. This is the back of an 06 headlight housing wired up. What I circled in red is the solenoid connection to allow the flapper to actuate for low beam or high beam operation. The bulb itself only differs by the plastic base notches that allow it to fit into the newer housing.

So my question: Does the 03 HID harness have the connection circled in red to allow for high beams?

Name:  c342f9df-8eda-4fd5-bf12-c0d8ab98259a.jpg
Views: 6429
Size:  412.8 KB
Old 07-16-2013, 08:44 PM
mattleegee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RENFRO
You need the different style bulb ONLY for the plastic tab portion so it will fit into the new housing. The bulb itself DOES NOT get brighter due to a higher current output. The flapper I was talking about goes into the open position to allow all of the light to pass through.

Do you track what I'm saying?

I have purchased D2S bulbs so they will fit into the housing. However, I'm curious if the connection exists on the factory 03 HID harness to connect to the 06 housing high beam solenoid connection
the 2004 had a regular halogen as the highbeam in the HID setup, im not following whats so special about the 2003

2003 HID/halogen highbeam setup is different from 04-05 HID/halogen highbeam setup ?

You already did this swap? or are you assuming it doesn't work?
Old 07-16-2013, 08:49 PM
RENFRO

No, I understand there is a separate bulb in the 03-05 housings for high beams. Now, do you see the problem I am highlighting? The 06 does not use a separate bulb for high beams. It uses a solenoid actuated flapper. So, what connection is used off of an 03-05 HID harness to plug into the flapper solenoid of an 06 housing? Tracking? Look at the photo I posted.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:54 PM
RENFRO

Now, if the halogen H7 connector on the 03-05 HID harness is a direct plug-n-play for the solenoid connection I circled in red above, then we are golden. That is my question
Old 07-17-2013, 12:04 AM
Delta_two-Niner

No, I understand there is a separate bulb in the 03-05 housings for high beams. Now, do you see the problem I am highlighting? The 06 does not use a separate bulb for high beams. It uses a solenoid actuated flapper. So, what connection is used off of an 03-05 HID harness to plug into the flapper solenoid of an 06 housing? Tracking? Look at the photo I posted.
It's all plug and play. I have an '03 D2R Touring, and when i bought my '06 lights, i simply plugged them into the stock harness...everything works just fine. No modification required. Unless of course you don't want your top 7443 bulbs to be on with DRL's, then you'd have to snip a wire. Other than that...just plug it in and you'll see.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:07 AM
Delta_two-Niner

Now, if the halogen H7 connector on the 03-05 HID harness is a direct plug-n-play for the solenoid connection I circled in red above, then we are golden. That is my question
Assuming your '07 headlights came with a harness and bulbs ready to go...just plug it in. High beams and all should work right out of the box. (You'll have to transplant your ballast mounted on the bottom of you HL to the new set.)

If you wanted a bulb other than the 4300k HID's...you'll have to contact the guys at...(pm me for the website).
Old 07-17-2013, 03:58 AM
RENFRO

Why is this so freaking difficult for people? I am wanting to use my OEM HID harness!! My 07 headlights are shells. Everything I've read is that I should be able to use my OEM harness since I have OEM HIDs.

So, yet again, is the H7 high beam connection on the 03-05 harness a direct plug and play to the connector for the flapper on an 06+ housing? This is the only way an 03 harness will allow for high beam operation in an 06 housing!!!
Old 07-17-2013, 06:28 AM
RENFRO

Earlier in this thread the exact same question was asked, but it was never answered. How are guys wiring the newer headlight housings' high beams using the older 03 harness? Now to clarify: There are THREE parts to this wiring! The ballast, the igniter that the HID bulb plugs into, and the harness itself that powers the turn signals, DRLs, and high beams.

So, will my HARNESS (not the ballast and igniter which I know are compatible with a D2S bulb) from my 03 wire directly into the 06 housing? Because I am not seeing how the high beam operation is going to be wired since my 03 harness uses a separate halogen high beam. However, as long as the physical bulbs themselves (turn signals/DRLs) physically screw into the new housing I can rig the wiring to work.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:23 PM
mattleegee

I would say buy the lights and just install them, then you will see its PNP
Old 08-09-2013, 10:07 AM
Fuelslt1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is how I swapped my '03 HID lights over to the '06 set up....to answer your question.

1. I used my '03 wiring harness on the '06 headlight housing.
2. I cut a notch in my stock '03 HID bulb base to fit into the '06 housing.
3. I do not have high beams anymore as the '03 harness uses a separate connection for it's H7 high beam bulb.

In the end, if you use the '03 wiring harness on the '06 headlight you will not have a high beam function.
The following users liked this post:
2-3-Z (02-20-2020)
Old 08-20-2013, 12:22 AM
mcubed45

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Earlier in this thread the exact same question was asked, but it was never answered. How are guys wiring the newer headlight housings' high beams using the older 03 harness? Now to clarify: There are THREE parts to this wiring! The ballast, the igniter that the HID bulb plugs into, and the harness itself that powers the turn signals, DRLs, and high beams.

So, will my HARNESS (not the ballast and igniter which I know are compatible with a D2S bulb) from my 03 wire directly into the 06 housing? Because I am not seeing how the high beam operation is going to be wired since my 03 harness uses a separate halogen high beam. However, as long as the physical bulbs themselves (turn signals/DRLs) physically screw into the new housing I can rig the wiring to work.
I'm pretty sure the wires that go to the high beam H7 on 03-05 just get routed to the flapper on the 06-08. When you convert, rather than powering the H7 bulb, the wires now power "on" the flapper and allow full light to pass through the projector, thus creating your "high beam". That's essentially why it's plug'n'play when you go from 03-05 HID to 06-08.

I'm not sure what the actual connector for the flapper looks like though. I would think you could just run wires from the flapper to your 8pin connector. It might not be pretty but it'll work.

Also the turn signal bulbs AND socket are different in 06-08 (7440 vs 3357A). The socket sizes are close but some people have noted fitment issues requiring modification when using their 03-05 sockets.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:10 PM
350vulcan

The 03-05 HID harness has a plug specifcally for the H7 bulb. It is not the same plug for the bi-zenon solenoid which the 06 harness has. If you have 06+ shells without the 06 harness and need to transfer your 03-05 style harness, you will have to source a plug from an 06+ style harness or cut off your H7 connector and attach wires to the solenoid directly.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:12 PM
mrfobbyaccent

Hello everyone I have a shell passenger side 06 and an almost complete set driver side (missing bulb and ballast) Now I have a base 04 with after market HID's can I use all the things from my 04 on the new 06 besides the bulb? And if not where can I find these parts? I also need one of the covers for the back of the headlight I heard they could be purchased somewhere.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:18 PM
DerekGreen86

Hi guys,

I have a 03 track with hid, I found a set of 06+ lights locally which may just be considered shells.

They are missing a few parts. The seller converted these parts to his aftermarket 06+ spyder lights.
- 06+ headlight wire harness
- ballast
- igniter packs

What is the best approach to get these working properly? Convert the 03 harnesses or Source 06 harnesses?

Name:  image8_zps3bcda1b2.jpeg
Views: 4028
Size:  84.1 KB

Originally Posted by Fuelslt1
Here is how I swapped my '03 HID lights over to the '06 set up....to answer your question.

1. I used my '03 wiring harness on the '06 headlight housing.
2. I cut a notch in my stock '03 HID bulb base to fit into the '06 housing.
3. I do not have high beams anymore as the '03 harness uses a separate connection for it's H7 high beam bulb.

In the end, if you use the '03 wiring harness on the '06 headlight you will not have a high beam function.
Why is this so freaking difficult for people? I am wanting to use my OEM HID harness!! My 07 headlights are shells. Everything I've read is that I should be able to use my OEM harness since I have OEM HIDs.

So, yet again, is the H7 high beam connection on the 03-05 harness a direct plug and play to the connector for the flapper on an 06+ housing? This is the only way an 03 harness will allow for high beam operation in an 06 housing!!!
Originally Posted by 350vulcan
The 03-05 HID harness has a plug specifcally for the H7 bulb. It is not the same plug for the bi-zenon solenoid which the 06 harness has. If you have 06+ shells without the 06 harness and need to transfer your 03-05 style harness, you will have to source a plug from an 06+ style harness or cut off your H7 connector and attach wires to the solenoid directly.
Originally Posted by mcubed45
I'm pretty sure the wires that go to the high beam H7 on 03-05 just get routed to the flapper on the 06-08. When you convert, rather than powering the H7 bulb, the wires now power "on" the flapper and allow full light to pass through the projector, thus creating your "high beam". That's essentially why it's plug'n'play when you go from 03-05 HID to 06-08.

I'm not sure what the actual connector for the flapper looks like though. I would think you could just run wires from the flapper to your 8pin connector. It might not be pretty but it'll work.

Also the turn signal bulbs AND socket are different in 06-08 (7440 vs 3357A). The socket sizes are close but some people have noted fitment issues requiring modification when using their 03-05 sockets.

UPDATE:

What is the best approach to get my lights working properly?

Based on my findings I know I can convert the ballasts and igniter packs from the 03 lights.

This differs from the original DIY thread. Like the quoted members above have discussed, this situation involves more then the simple plug and play. In this case the harnesses are MISSING from the 06 lights.

Convert my 03 harnesses or Source 06 harnesses?

I believe its best to try sourcing a set of 06+ headlight harnesses before attempting to modify the 03 harnesses to work with the 06+ highbeam solenoid. There are differences between the two harnesses and you will also risk sealing issues on the turn sockets.

Any suggestions where to source or find parts to create the needed 06+ harnesses?

I have contacted Nissan and they will not sell the harnesses without buying the entire headlight assembly. I have also contacted Depo in hopes that they could source the harnesses which are used in their replacement lights but had no luck. I hope that this helps someone else in the same situation. Thanks for any feedback or suggestions.

Note: I eventually found a set of 06+ headlight harness after a month of looking, they came on Ebay for $55 shipped.

Last edited by DerekGreen86; 11-19-2013 at 05:13 PM. Reason: update
Old 05-17-2014, 05:09 PM
Diggles

to that last post , thank you very much for getting that clarified , I also just bought 06 headlight shells with no wiring harness , so If anyone knows where I can get the headlight wiring harness from I would appreciate it , thank you
Old 05-17-2014, 06:04 PM
Diggles

actually my friend the electrician said he can find something to slide over the pins on the solenoid with pigtails so im going to try to just splice the 03 headlight harness to work on the 06 headlight brights
Old 06-09-2014, 03:23 PM
knapps23

Sorry for posting in such an old thread but.....

I just did the 06 swap and everything fit and works perfect. ( i had 05 with HIDs)

I noticed the signal lights are permanently on and i dont mind it, i think it looks good. I've heard some snip a wire so they only act as signals. Is there any risk associated with either leaving or snipping the always-on wire?

Thanks all.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:31 AM
Heritage

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by knapps23
Sorry for posting in such an old thread but.....

I just did the 06 swap and everything fit and works perfect. ( i had 05 with HIDs)

I noticed the signal lights are permanently on and i dont mind it, i think it looks good. I've heard some snip a wire so they only act as signals. Is there any risk associated with either leaving or snipping the always-on wire?

Thanks all.
Nope - matter of taste. Some people use switchback LEDs in that socket instead, so the DRL feature is white (always on), and the turn signal activates the amber.

Look carefully at the feature of the switchback bulb you buy: some alternate white/amber/white/amber when flashing, and some shut off the white completely and flash amber until the turn signal is deactivated.

Also be sure that you're using a NON CK bulb. I believe the socket in our Zs is standard, and not CK (which means the positive leads are both on one side of the blade of the bulb).
The following users liked this post:
2-3-Z (02-20-2020)
Old 09-24-2014, 03:11 PM
stujakessy

Originally Posted by potato
This DIY is for those who want to do the 06+ headlight upgrade to their 03-05 z. Here is the list of tools you will need:

10mm socket
socket wrench
extension
patience and time

First we start off by removing the bumper. i don't think i need to go into much detail here as their are many tutorials regarding it and only 3 bolts on each side.

Next, there is 4 bolts you will need to remove. I have them pointed out here:

After that we need to disconnect the lights. Simply use a flat head to push in the little **** on the clip and pull down and it will come out

You should now have your light off and ready to be taken apart. take off the next 4 screws and unclip it

Once thats done turn it around and you will see the following. unscrew it and unclip it also

Once thats done we now need to remove the bulb. simply unclip it and pull it out

You should now have this:

Now attach it into the new light. you can leave the ground wire unhooked (the piece im pointing at thats not mesh), it wont hurt anything. just feed the mesh wire up into the light into the ballast. protip: put the bulb in first, then use the metal things to hold it down for you. then it should just slide down onto the light and turn into place (i was trying to put it all in at once which wasnt working lol)

Everything should now be seated correctly and plugged in:

Put the plastic round piece back on. your gonna have to work with it and try each one if you dont remember how they went

Repeat this for the second light and hook everything back up to the car

Throw your bumper back on and your done

Hey I'm new here and I have a 2003 base 350z , I'm trying to buy 06' aftermarket headlights with the led lights along the side. I have no idea what to do with the wiring. I have no idea what bulbs I have or how many pins my headlights have. I would LOVE if someone could let me know what bulbs I need to buy and how to wire the new headlights to my car without boching my car ! Much appreciated!

Below are the new headlights .

:http://m.ebay.com/itm/291225158557?nav=SEARCH
Old 02-02-2015, 12:17 PM
crazyjeys

Default 6 pin connector

wrong post. sorry.

Quick Reply: DIY: 350z 06 headlight upgrade walkthrough