Notices

DIY: 350z 06 headlight upgrade walkthrough

Old 06-09-2012, 11:18 PM
amr_electron

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by maximariceboi
Sorry to bring this thread back up again... Having issues searching on here.. Which color wire needs to be snipped? Thanks!
It should be the blue wire.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:12 AM
maximariceboi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by amr_electron
It should be the blue wire.
Great thanks for the help!
Old 06-27-2012, 06:06 PM
fury350

quick question without making a new thread about it. coming from an 03 base model to the 06+ bi-xenon headlights, what other vehicles use the same 8 pin connectors as the Z does? i remember seeing somewhere that the nissan murano also uses it, was wondering if the G35 does also. just trying to broaden my horizon of finding this connector in a junkyard somewhere for cheap. finding it new online is even worse. thanks for any help!
Old 07-17-2012, 11:54 PM
Delta_two-Niner

What does snipping the blue wire actually do ?!?!? ***Just bought my '06 lights to go onto my '03 !!***
Old 11-24-2012, 02:16 PM
mike_eee

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any updates on this?? what wire to snip....my turn signals are always on and daylight DLR is always on...let me know what wire to snip
Old 11-24-2012, 06:04 PM
Z PHAT Z

Check out this thread
https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-an...rn-signal.html

Originally Posted by mike_eee
any updates on this?? what wire to snip....my turn signals are always on and daylight DLR is always on...let me know what wire to snip
Old 11-28-2012, 07:25 AM
SuicidE

I just recieved my brand new 06 headlights from Lightwerkz and im attempting to put them in my 04 base. Ive read some of the posts on how to DIY and none of them really explain much or atleast I dont understand. What I think I know (and please correct me if I am wrong) is that the 04 base have a 6 pin connector while the 06 bi-xenon have a 8 pin. Does anybody happen to know if they sell an adapter to convert the 6 pin to 8 pin? Im sure this is a common problem and I feel that Nissan should have already if they have not done so create something for this certain circumstance. And ive read some posts where people will splice or rig some thing in order for them to work and honestly im not too comfortable with doing that because I want something that will last and not create more problems in the future or not work properly i.e. the 4 amber parking lights continuesly stay on or something like that. So if you have more info on this or would like to lend a hand in walking me through this process it would be much appreciated.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:02 AM
sluggoZ

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SuicidE
I just recieved my brand new 06 headlights from Lightwerkz and im attempting to put them in my 04 base. Ive read some of the posts on how to DIY and none of them really explain much or atleast I dont understand. What I think I know (and please correct me if I am wrong) is that the 04 base have a 6 pin connector while the 06 bi-xenon have a 8 pin. Does anybody happen to know if they sell an adapter to convert the 6 pin to 8 pin? Im sure this is a common problem and I feel that Nissan should have already if they have not done so create something for this certain circumstance. And ive read some posts where people will splice or rig some thing in order for them to work and honestly im not too comfortable with doing that because I want something that will last and not create more problems in the future or not work properly i.e. the 4 amber parking lights continuesly stay on or something like that. So if you have more info on this or would like to lend a hand in walking me through this process it would be much appreciated.
'04 base does not have HID.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:43 AM
SuicidE

Originally Posted by sluggoZ
'04 base does not have HID.
I know this. I was just wondering how I go about putting my 06 headlights in that have bi-xenon HIDs.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:26 PM
sluggoZ

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SuicidE
I know this. I was just wondering how I go about putting my 06 headlights in that have bi-xenon HIDs.
Go to the Marketplace here & check the Vendor Exterior Section.
Look for the vendor selling the HID kit's & make sure it has the 8 prong connector.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:04 PM
ZMoneyPIT

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

I did this mod back in September with a buddy. We DIDN'T have to CUT OR SOLDER anything when I was changing from my 04 BASE lights to my 06+ headlights with the new HID ballasts.
When I did the conversion I took out the entire wire harness from the 06 lights and messed around with the connector. Inside the connector (8-pin) you are able to pop out the center with a flathead (I think that's what we used) and PULL every wire out. Make sure you identify which ones are which. We had the Nissan manual so we were able to line up everything.
I then did the same thing with my old wire harness (the 6-pin) and then inserted the wires from the new 8-pin harness into the old 6-pin. I made sure everything was perfectly lined up (you are going to have one lose wire that doesn't go into the 6-pin which was already discussed), hooked everything up, and bam it worked! No cutting or anything needed. So in the end I got rid of the 8-pin and still used the 6-pin which is way less work! I always love less work because I thought I was going to solder these damn wires together.

It was so easy I couldn't believe it. My lights have been going on strong ever since. The 06 lights are sooo much better and brighter. It's the best thing I've done with the car. If you guys need pictures or have more questions let me know.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:44 AM
bluebadge

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Great thread btw, i'm going through the process of upgrading my '04 HID units to the 06+ Bi-Xenon HID Units, Can't wait to get it completed. I was able to score a complete passenger side OEM unit brand spanking new on Ebay for $200, but I still need a drivers side unit, has anyone had any experience with Depo brand aftermarket units? If anyone knows of a good aftermarket supplier that would be helpful. Hate to go aftermarket but price is a concern.

Last edited by bluebadge; 01-19-2013 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Change of question!
Old 04-18-2013, 07:38 PM
K350Z52

Hey everyone I thought that maybe someone could help me? I have the 03 HID and got some 08 headlights, I know that they will match up fine and stuff, While having some mods done to em one side went on fine and works fine the other side keeps blowing the low beam fuse, Any idea what it might be?
Old 05-18-2013, 01:09 PM
donj

What mod did you get done? One if you rewired make sure they're good and no live wire touching anything... obviously. And two make sure your fuses are all in order with right amp... goodluck

Keep us posted

Originally Posted by K350Z52
Hey everyone I thought that maybe someone could help me? I have the 03 HID and got some 08 headlights, I know that they will match up fine and stuff, While having some mods done to em one side went on fine and works fine the other side keeps blowing the low beam fuse, Any idea what it might be?
Old 07-16-2013, 04:51 PM
RENFRO

Received 105 Likes on 72 Posts

Ok, I'm digging this up from the dead because there is a ton of incorrect information in here. I am in the middle of swapping in some 07 Headlights into my OEM HID Track edition. "Bi-Xenon" does NOT denote some type of magical HID bulb that changes brightness. The way this updated headlight creates the "high beam" is by an actuating flapper. If you look directly into the shell of a new style headlight, you can see that in the low beam position, the flapper is covering half of the projector lense...when one flips the arm to the high beam position, the flap opens all the way allowing all of the light to travel through.

Now for the question that was originally asked and never really answered, how does one wire to this flapper using an OEM 03 HID wiring harness? There's a small, 2 prong connector directly underneath where the HID bulb is inserted. That connection is what will actuate the flapper. However, OEM 03 HIDs used an external halogen bulb as a high beam. Does that halogen connection plug directly into the newer "flapper" connection on the new headlights, thus allowing for "bi-xenon" high beam operation?
Old 07-16-2013, 05:54 PM
mattleegee

^ what?

plug it in, you have no control over this flipper flapper

you need to buy a different style bulb for the BI, no magic
Old 07-16-2013, 06:04 PM
-Trav-

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Are you swapping ballasts? Using the new style bulb or the one out your 04?

edit: and yea what Matt said...it was the easiest mod I've ever done.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:56 PM
davidroman350z

what wire did you cut?
Old 07-16-2013, 08:34 PM
RENFRO

Again, like I said...with no control of said "flipper flapper" you will have no high beams!!
Old 07-16-2013, 08:37 PM
RENFRO

Originally Posted by mattleegee
^ what?

plug it in, you have no control over this flipper flapper

you need to buy a different style bulb for the BI, no magic
You need the different style bulb ONLY for the plastic tab portion so it will fit into the new housing. The bulb itself DOES NOT get brighter due to a higher current output. The flapper I was talking about goes into the open position to allow all of the light to pass through.

Do you track what I'm saying?

I have purchased D2S bulbs so they will fit into the housing. However, I'm curious if the connection exists on the factory 03 HID harness to connect to the 06 housing high beam solenoid connection

Last edited by RENFRO; 07-16-2013 at 08:38 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY: 350z 06 headlight upgrade walkthrough