Notices

Convertible Top Installation (DIY) question

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2021, 12:28 PM
xS3CT0Rx9

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Convertible Top Installation (DIY) question

I'd like to preface this by saying I searched for someone having this same question, with no luck, so if this has been posted and someone could refer me to the thread it would be much appreciated.

A little history, due to some tears, and the tension straps losing all elasticity I decided to replace the soft top on my own to save a couple thousand bucks. Got the old top off, no problem. Stuck currently when it comes to putting the new one on. The new kit came with 2 tension straps, that are used to pull the 2nd and 3rd bow together when opening the roof. My issue is, the new straps are longer than the OEM straps that were on there prior (see pictures for reference)(old straps were already tossed or lost, not sure at this point since I started this in beginning of june). My question is, do I need to stretch the new ones, to the point where there is enough tension to pull the bows together, then cut it to that length?

​​​​​​​
Old 07-19-2021, 12:31 PM
xS3CT0Rx9

Forgot to add, i do have an instruction manual from the manufacturer of the top, but it didn't say anything about the tension straps. Also called the manufacturer and the seller with no luck.
Old 07-20-2021, 07:51 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Good for you doing this yourself, it's really not rocket science.

I had to go look at my top and a pic I took with it off, did mine in 2015. So- you ARE on the right track, it just looks like your kit came with generic elastic. I would fold one end of the elastic strap to have 1/2" overlap (doubled to prevent tearing), slit the elastic to make a small hole and either secure with a rivet or temporary screw into either bow.
Then with the frame in closed position, bring the elastic over the other bow and tension it to about 2/3 it's possible length, marking it at the bottom of that bow plus 1/2" for doubling. Trim the excess and repeat the procedure to secure that end.

Lastly before you put the canvas on you should cycle the frame open/close by hand. (Remove the the 10mm bolts that secure the side struts). Check to see that the elastic brings the bows together to fold down and you are good. If you make a mistake Michaels, JoAnn's or any fabric store has elastic that will work.
Good luck!

Old 07-20-2021, 07:59 AM
xS3CT0Rx9

Originally Posted by jhc
Lastly before you put the canvas on you should cycle the frame open/close by hand. (Remove the the 10mm bolts that secure the side struts). Check to see that the elastic brings the bows together to fold down and you are good. If you make a mistake Michaels, JoAnn's or any fabric store has elastic that will work.
Just want to clarify, by this, I'm assuming you mean to remove the hydraulic struts on both sides and just lift it open and closed by hand? And should the 2nd bow come back and basically touch the 3rd bow? I bought this back in 2016/17 and the elastic straps were already worn out by then so I never saw how it was supposed to function normally.
Old 07-20-2021, 08:20 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by xS3CT0Rx9
Just want to clarify, by this, I'm assuming you mean to remove the hydraulic struts on both sides and just lift it open and closed by hand?
Correct.

And should the 2nd bow come back and basically touch the 3rd bow?
Without the canvas I'd imagine they'd be close, work it by hand and observe the range of motion.

I bought this back in 2016/17 and the elastic straps were already worn out by then so I never saw how it was supposed to function normally.
Here's something that didn't occur to me a moment ago. If you have some good clamps to could attach one end of the elastic and clamp the other end. Cycle it through by hand for proper movement while remembering the elastic will relax a bit from tension.
In a nutshell if your straps are too long the top won't fold and stow. If too short, they may lose their elasticity prematurely. I'd take the 2nd option any day, you don't really have to remove the canvas to replace the straps. ; )

edit-
once your canvas is on it's normal for it to be quite tight trying to close at first . Get the rear latched, and pull down on the front latch with your body weight if necessary.

Last edited by jhc; 07-20-2021 at 08:25 AM.
Old 07-20-2021, 08:32 AM
xS3CT0Rx9

That actually gave me another idea, to kinda go along with the doubling up method you said. I'll see if the straps are long enough to start on the 2nd bow, wrap around 3rd, and come back to the rivet holes on the 2nd. Will update later today.
The following users liked this post:
jhc (07-20-2021)