Notices

DIY: 350z Stance GR+ Spring install/swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 12:53 PM
potato

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY: 350z Stance GR+ Spring install/swap

http://www.whatthefitment.com/forums...g-install-swap

I picked up some 9k stance springs to replace my current 6k springs in my stance GR+ coils. A few of the what the fitment members helped me out and suggested making a how to on doing it since its pretty simple. It took us about an hour to do both sides with minimal tools.

Step 1 - easy enough, jack the car up and take the wheels off so you can get to the coilover

Step 2 - take off the bottom bolt holding the coilover to the wheel hub

Here's a picture of the bolt we are removing:

Step 3 - Remove the top nuts holding the coilover to the top of the wheel well

Step 4 - You should now be able to pull the coilover itself off and have something like this. As you can tell from the picture my spring is currently pretty compressed as its the same size as the new 9k spring. The best thing to do now would be to measure the entire coilover so when you put it back together you can assemble it to the same ride height or make adjustments based on your original height. As you can see mine was 18 1/4" which is what I put it back at. Also, its going to settle about a 1/4 inch as you drive on it.

Step 5 - Next you want to begin taking the coilover apart to put the new springs on. Start by loosening the bottom mount and unscrewing it

Step 6 - Finish taking the spring off by removing the last ring and the ring holding the spring in place.

Step 7 - Put the new spring on and work backwards to reassemble everything and ensure its on tight. Install the coilover to the car again and have a beer.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:47 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

i have thier LX so its the OEM version, going to upgrade springs too.. way too soft now, but the rates are higher on my OEM style.. going from 11k/10k to 13k/12k soon.. thats the max they say ( 2k up on any) that will still mate well w the existing rebound valving.. just for anyone reading who used SEARCH to find this write up. Congrats, etc.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:22 PM
i.rashid

good write up
Old 05-26-2012, 03:10 PM
Ibex

I just installed their SS pro. Seem to be pretty good quality, only time will tell.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:38 PM
Austin209

wow, that really is easy. Is switching from oem suspension to this true coilover just as easy?
Old 09-19-2012, 10:20 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

As you can tell from the picture my spring is currently pretty compressed as its the same size as the new 9k spring
Funny, a 6k spring that is 8 inches long when compressed is the same length as a 9k spring that is 8 inches long. Guess what that means? There is very little preload on the spring.

Step 5 - Next you want to begin taking the coilover apart to put the new springs on. Start by loosening the bottom mount and unscrewing it
If you remove preload on the spring first, you can take the top nut off the strut and remove the spring from the other direction, then you don't even have to touch your damper length. Less work, faster and no measuring.