Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

stillen sway bars installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 06:29 PM
jcpeyton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stillen sway bars installed

I installed Stillen adjustible sway bars, front and rear, last Friday; stiffest (forward) position in front, medium (middle) position for the rear. Used stock bushings, and took the Roadster out for a sunny 2 day top down Tucson weekend.

I am very pleased with how this product performed. There was a NOTICABLE increase in front stiffness and a really good feeling of flat cornering in the turns. A few rear end "clunks" disappeared after a few miles of twists and turns.

I bought these bars for $279, free ship. Installation was EASY--all you need is a lift and some wrenches. Nismo shocks and springs go in next weekend. I will report back on interaction, assuming another sunny Tucson weekend.

Thanks to ZBoater and manofsteel for guidance.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:48 PM
jcpeyton

PS--I am going to want new tires. I run OEM Potenzas on 18' OEM wheels. I'm not ready to change wheels, but would appreciate recommendations on tires.
I drive 35 freeway miles round trip to work at about 65/75mph, and play pretty hard on the backroads on weekends. I do not track my car. Advice, please.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:55 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Can't say that I agree with the bar settings. Test it, then change it to soft front med rear and test again. Car has a fair amount of front roll stiffness already.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:15 AM
jcpeyton

Sofest position in the front?
Old 01-25-2005, 03:53 PM
daveh

Originally posted by Gsedan35
Can't say that I agree with the bar settings. Test it, then change it to soft front med rear and test again. Car has a fair amount of front roll stiffness already.
Sometimes its not a matter of roll stiffness but working with the contact patch that the camber is allowing. With the Z's inability to adjust camber up front a stiffer setting may actually get more grip up front because it doesn't allow the camber to move into as much positive territory.
It really depends if the car is loosing traction at a given end of the car due to poor contact patches or improper roll resisance. The stock classes in autox only allow for front sway bar upgrades. One might think only upgrading the front sway bar would cause terminal understeer, but for the reason I mention above this is not always the case. Just food for thought. Gsedan35, the info you give on these forms is very informative.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:36 PM
jcpeyton

Thanks for the feedback. It is very helpful. I'm no expert. On the backroad twisties the car felt very flat and stable, stiffer and more confidence-inspiring in the turns. So much so that I probably took a few more "risks" than I should have and scared myself a little bit. Nevertheless, the car responded beautifully at the settings described.
The nismo s tune shocks and springs go in as soon as they arrive
and I may have to reset the sways after installation.
I'll report back.
Thanks to all for the input--It's been a long time (2 grown sons) since I've had such a fine car.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:18 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by daveh
Sometimes its not a matter of roll stiffness but working with the contact patch that the camber is allowing. With the Z's inability to adjust camber up front a stiffer setting may actually get more grip up front because it doesn't allow the camber to move into as much positive territory.
It really depends if the car is loosing traction at a given end of the car due to poor contact patches or improper roll resisance. The stock classes in autox only allow for front sway bar upgrades. One might think only upgrading the front sway bar would cause terminal understeer, but for the reason I mention above this is not always the case. Just food for thought. Gsedan35, the info you give on these forms is very informative.
I know where your coming from, the flip side of the coin, increasing the stiffness of the bar will reduce the degree of roll, which limits the degree of camber change, which, by itself (not taking into account load transfer), will result in more cornering force being asked of the front end and a more stable, controlled car. The overall picture is that you will have less ultimate cornering force, your car may be easier to drive, but your slower overall. IMO, their are too many other considerations, outside of SCCA sanctioned rules, to make greater front roll sitffness weather from sway bars of from springs, a valid tuning starting point. We should dial in the spring rates first, then tune the car to suit your driving style with adjustable sway bars. Taking tire temps across all tire contact patches would be a good idea to verify if your senses are reading true. I don't see oem 225 front tires as a help in all this either.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:08 PM
Speed Dreams

.........Gsedan35,
Great point, alot of us need to realize that suspension tuning is what it states. All components work in harmony and need to be tuned/adjusted really on a graduated scale to find the comfort, control level of the vehicle and driver based on the purpose intended.
But there will always be those that will drive around with suspensions so wired like they are riding on the frame and be happy, due to no body transition.
I'm not suggesting this is the thread starters intent, just observation of adjustment requests we have had.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:10 PM
350zippy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

new to the forum ( and to 350z) and enjoying a lot!
my question is : for adjustable anti sway bars , what settings are you guys using? (for track/street use)
thanks
Old 02-07-2005, 06:44 AM
etang789

I just got Stillen Sway Bars as well...have med/med setting for now the car is so much flatter and fermer on the corners now... great mod havent tried hard on it due to snow tires. the snow tires are much easier to break loose now. And i notice that the sways are now come in RED color rather than Yellow color posted on their website. Does anyone has red sways? Does anyone who makes stillen sways?
Old 02-07-2005, 09:28 PM
Speed Dreams

Originally posted by etang789
I just got Stillen Sway Bars as well...have med/med setting for now the car is so much flatter and fermer on the corners now... great mod havent tried hard on it due to snow tires. the snow tires are much easier to break loose now. And i notice that the sways are now come in RED color rather than Yellow color posted on their website. Does anyone has red sways? Does anyone who makes stillen sways?

Red is the color, put mine in this week
Not sure who makes them for Stillen but very happy with the quality. Initial settings= med/med with Tein basic coil overs.
Love the ride so far but need alittle more time in the twisties.