Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

just installed the HOTCHKISS springs and sways

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 01:18 PM
actordan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just installed the HOTCHKISS springs and sways

WOW! It made a big difference! I took some windy roads home last night after picking up my car. I Didn;t push it very hard(as to where I am drifting or breaking traction around turns). It handled so much better. I took a couple of swooping switch backs at around 30-45 MPH and she HUGGED, no traction break or anything. Then I took a corner(this is one that I have never gone around more than 30 mph(rated at 15) I took taht at 40, My stomach hurt, maybe cause I am getting old, but wow, I noticed the difference. This weekend I am going to OC, and will probally take it to ORtega Highway and see how this puppy really handles!

The hoitchkiss is not a STIFF ride, noticable but the Z feels alittle stiffer. Daily driving I don;t notice to much(but I drive freeways 11 miles to work). Over all handlimng is greatly improved, and the drop is 3/4". It gets rid of the gap on 19s without tucking the front wheels under the fender.

Will be posting some pics soon. ENJOY
Old 03-22-2005, 01:22 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Congrats! I have the same setup with the addition of the Koni Yellow Sports Shocks & I'm loving it. Out of curiousity, what do you have your sways set at? I currently have mine at Hard(F) + Medium(R). Enjoy your ride @ Ortega!
Old 03-22-2005, 01:25 PM
GQ 350z

Can't wait for those pics, please post your Volks setup also

I hear med/med is a very balanced setup.

ravi
Old 03-22-2005, 01:28 PM
actordan

yeah I brought the digi cam in so I can get the pics of the outside and of the engine bay, but had to dorp my car off at the shop so they can fix some paint issues I had. With the rain coming in this week it may be a little while. Hopefully soon!

As for the settings, I have no idea! Honestly, I took the sways and the springs down to SDCS in Escondido, They put it all together for me. It didn;t look as if they were adjustable, or did I miss something?
Old 03-22-2005, 01:33 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Yeah. If you got the Hotchkis TVS Stage 1 Kit, then yes they are adjustable. You can tell from the 3 holes on each mounting point of the sways for different settings. I'm sure they defaulted your setup to be Medium all around. That's what most shops do since it's what Hotchkis recommends as their default setting. Enjoy!
Old 03-22-2005, 01:39 PM
actordan

AWESOME! Thanks, I still am tickeld pink(no pun intended ) on how much of a positive difference it made
Old 03-22-2005, 01:51 PM
GQ 350z

What color is your car?
Old 03-22-2005, 08:40 PM
Mr_Q

Originally Posted by actordan
WOW! It made a big difference!
I have the Stillen adjustables myself and YES, the car handles more like a sports car should. Even with the stock springs.

Sway bars will affect the understeer and oversteer condition more so, hence why I did those. But man, the car really goes into a turn nice and neutral and then slam the gas if it starts to get out from underneath you...so nice.

Turn in is so much better too, the car actually...TURNS, instead of digging a trench.

I am hitting 90mph on some of the harriest turns on the local twisties. I couldn't have dared do that in the past, the car just plowed off the road...or would have.

I have mine setup for softer in the front and stiffer in the back. Exactly what the Z needs.

Nissan REALLY should rethink the swaybar setup. So many reviews I've read dog the Z for it's understeering. After all it's supposed to be a sports car...er coupe.

P.S. Only drive like a maniac when no one else is around! Heh.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:04 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr_Q
I have the Stillen adjustables myself and YES, the car handles more like a sports car should. Even with the stock springs.

Sway bars will affect the understeer and oversteer condition more so, hence why I did those. But man, the car really goes into a turn nice and neutral and then slam the gas if it starts to get out from underneath you...so nice.

Turn in is so much better too, the car actually...TURNS, instead of digging a trench.

I am hitting 90mph on some of the harriest turns on the local twisties. I couldn't have dared do that in the past, the car just plowed off the road...or would have.

I have mine setup for softer in the front and stiffer in the back. Exactly what the Z needs.

Nissan REALLY should rethink the swaybar setup. So many reviews I've read dog the Z for it's understeering. After all it's supposed to be a sports car...er coupe.

P.S. Only drive like a maniac when no one else is around! Heh.
I read the staggerred tire size setup also commits the Z to understeering. It may not just be the sway bars.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:00 AM
Chicken

Originally Posted by actordan
...and the drop is 3/4".
Can you tell me how much it dropped the front? My donkey is OK with a 3/4" drop (in fact that'd be perfect), but I really don't want a front drop at all, let alone 3/4" as the front lip is already 4.5 inches off the ground, and I don't want it to be under 4.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:34 PM
actordan

BTW my bad *** "Z" is daytona blue with the carbon fiber racing seats. Hold on let me measure where my front lip is to the ground.... I would say its pretty damn close to 4". Overall the drop looks great, it just "cleaned" the car up a little...errr I mean a LOT!

good point also....never drive like a dumbass when there are other people around, you could hit one and spill your beer! j/k
Old 03-23-2005, 01:39 PM
Mr_Q

Originally Posted by Armitage
I read the staggerred tire size setup also commits the Z to understeering. It may not just be the sway bars.
That and the LSD. But you can rid a lot of it with sway bars.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:43 PM
actordan

Also its a 3/4" in the rear and I believe its 1/2" in the front. I have the staggered tires and with this set up the car sticks like glue to the road!!!!!!!
Old 03-23-2005, 02:04 PM
live steam

I will be putting this setup on the car when they arrive, which I hope is soon. I purchased them from Performance. They should come in any day. Glad to hear that the ride isn't too stiff or too low. That is why I went with them vs. the Eibachs or Tiens.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:49 PM
actordan

I ordered mine from Nopi. They charged me less the performance. I heard the Teins have a squeek, I don;t remember if that was for the C/O or just the springs. I paid $300 for teh install(but that included the rest of the Samco Hoses, radiator flush, Grounding kit install and just some tinkering to the car that needed to get done.

I want to do a cruise of the "Z" in southern ca Mainly san diego area. Wonder if anyone would be interested?
Old 03-23-2005, 02:55 PM
live steam

Are you getting any clunking from the bars? I hear they move around a bit. I think you can put a retention bar on them.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:06 PM
actordan

NOpe smooth and quiet. So far. Will keep an eye er ear out for that. THANKS!!
Old 03-23-2005, 05:34 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Originally Posted by live steam
Are you getting any clunking from the bars? I hear they move around a bit. I think you can put a retention bar on them.
I've had mine for well over 3 months with no clunking.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:45 PM
live steam

What size wheels and tires are you guys running?
Old 03-23-2005, 06:00 PM
GQ 350z

Dan, post pics LOL

Quick Reply: just installed the HOTCHKISS springs and sways