Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

just installed the HOTCHKISS springs and sways

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 06:13 PM
actordan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PICS will be taken on saturday after the rains clear up and I will detail the car and make her look prettier than ever.

I am running 19" 235/35/19 front 275/35/19 rear Dunlop Sport 9000s

_^_____^
Hondas__me
Yup blowin away the competition!!!
Old 03-23-2005, 08:45 PM
ZZtopp

Let us know how the alignment turns out when you do it.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:38 PM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might have to get these sways soon.

Oh and let me know where you're going to get your alignment in San diego.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:52 AM
JimRHIT

Zeph, BUY THE SWAYS they were the best $250 I have ever spent on any car.

Me, Chad, Josh and a bunch of other local guys get our alignment done at Evans Tire on Convoy St. in Clairemont. They have the newest equipment, very precise techs that TAKE CARE OF THE WHEELS (Chad's Iforged 20s, my C4s, and Josh's Volks), and know their way around the Z/G suspension. Get the lifetime alignment ($140) and you can go as many times as you want. Chad goes there every single time he messes with his coilovers ... I think he has been there 6 times already (they hate him) lol
Old 03-24-2005, 10:31 AM
actordan

LMAO. The alignment came out just fine. Before I put them on I was drifting a bit to the left. Now she is straight as an *** less man in San Francisco.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:37 AM
actordan

Default Pics Are In!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.imagestation.com/album/in...?id=2128951359

if you need to sign in the sign is for the members forum
Imagestation
User ID: my350z.com_members
Password: my350z
Old 03-28-2005, 04:57 PM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JimRHIT
Zeph, BUY THE SWAYS they were the best $250 I have ever spent on any car.

Me, Chad, Josh and a bunch of other local guys get our alignment done at Evans Tire on Convoy St. in Clairemont. They have the newest equipment, very precise techs that TAKE CARE OF THE WHEELS (Chad's Iforged 20s, my C4s, and Josh's Volks), and know their way around the Z/G suspension. Get the lifetime alignment ($140) and you can go as many times as you want. Chad goes there every single time he messes with his coilovers ... I think he has been there 6 times already (they hate him) lol
Thanks for the recommendation on alignment shop Jim!
I know we had an SD thread for it, but I got a lot of mixed reviews of which place knew their way around the Z's geometry.
I'll definitely go to Evan's tire now.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:59 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Whats the spring rate of the Hotchkis springs?
Old 03-28-2005, 11:04 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Hotchkis Tuning Sport coils offer the performance you seek, and the comfortable ride you deserve. Made from cold wound silicon steel, our springs are linear rate, and are powder coated seabring silver.

Front Front 9/16" (15mm) Drop
340 lbs/in
Stock 310lbs/in

Rear 3/4" (19mm) Drop
330 lbs/in
Stock 350 lbs/in

Source: http://www.hotchkistuning.com/cgi-bi...atalogno=19413
Old 04-06-2005, 11:22 AM
brendone

I keep getting confused on the hotchkiss springs/sways as I read through different threads. Just when I think the springs are what I'm looking for, the next thread says the ride is more jarring than stock. Ideally I'd like a bit smoother ride so I don't shake the teeth loose on the daily commute (rough highway) without making the car feel like an old caddy.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:34 AM
JimRHIT

It is a bit stiffer AND softer than stock...look at the spring rates, its confusing. If you want a drop with a nice ride, you need progressive springs, but you will sacrafice performance somewhat.

Coilovers sound like a good option for you.

The Hotchkis ride to me feels a bit stiffer, but not noticeably. It sits one inch lower, aligns and looks nice. All for $150
Old 04-06-2005, 11:52 AM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

What about the 350evo sways? Dan car looks good man. What brand hood is it?
Old 04-06-2005, 12:14 PM
brendone

I'm actually trying to avoid a drop. Have to make sure I can get in the driveway What I was thinking I'd try is install the hotchkiss springs to see if removing the bounce would make a big difference (maybe the bounce is really what bugs me??). If the drive in is still to jarring, then I'd try adding some Koni's. From what I've read, it seems like a good combination. Means doing the same job twice, but I don't mind spending time in the garage. I'd just hate to pay $$$ for coilovers if I'd be happy with just the springs.

It is a bit stiffer AND softer than stock...look at the spring rates, its confusing. If you want a drop with a nice ride, you need progressive springs, but you will sacrafice performance somewhat.

Coilovers sound like a good option for you.

The Hotchkis ride to me feels a bit stiffer, but not noticeably. It sits one inch lower, aligns and looks nice. All for $150
Old 04-06-2005, 12:55 PM
actordan

Originally Posted by Turbogt
What about the 350evo sways? Dan car looks good man. What brand hood is it?
Erebuni.
I bought it online at nopi.com they had it marked down for like 300 shipped.

AS for the ride quality on this, IT IS SWEET. truely the best 350(springs and sways) I spent on my 350! The ride quality is very "sporty" in the turns adn teh way she handles. Daily driving, I really didn;t notice to much of a difference to be 100% honest.

Coilovers are a grip of dough. Don;t really need them unless you plan on entering shows(slam to the ground, with the ability to raise it for normal driving) Other than that I think the Hotchkiss kit is overall a solid purchase.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:01 AM
Chicken

Originally Posted by brendone
I'm actually trying to avoid a drop.
Me too. Trying to balance the desire with putting in the Hotchkis springs I have (already, sitting new in my garage), with the reality that lower will mean more scraping (which is painful as is, and allredy happens). Common sense says that lower will not be better, but I can't stand it.

I suppose it will only be money (to put them on and take them off again if it is too low), but it will be painful to just spend money to confirm what you knew but hoped wasn't true.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:08 AM
phile

Originally Posted by Mr_Q
I have the Stillen adjustables myself and YES, the car handles more like a sports car should. Even with the stock springs.

Sway bars will affect the understeer and oversteer condition more so, hence why I did those. But man, the car really goes into a turn nice and neutral and then slam the gas if it starts to get out from underneath you...so nice.

Turn in is so much better too, the car actually...TURNS, instead of digging a trench.

I am hitting 90mph on some of the harriest turns on the local twisties. I couldn't have dared do that in the past, the car just plowed off the road...or would have.

I have mine setup for softer in the front and stiffer in the back. Exactly what the Z needs.

Nissan REALLY should rethink the swaybar setup. So many reviews I've read dog the Z for it's understeering. After all it's supposed to be a sports car...er coupe.

P.S. Only drive like a maniac when no one else is around! Heh.

Can you comment on why the car handles better with a softer setting in the front, and what the difference would be if you had chosen the opposite setup from front to back?

Because of the many different suspension options, and my lack of knowledge this is where I get confused. I have done some reading, but it is still hard to put together. Some people choose to change their shocks and springs, some people get strut bars, then there are coilovers.... Can somoene explain how these things work together? I'm still unsure on what exactly a coilover is. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:19 AM
JimRHIT

Originally Posted by Chicken
Me too. Trying to balance the desire with putting in the Hotchkis springs I have (already, sitting new in my garage), with the reality that lower will mean more scraping (which is painful as is, and allredy happens). Common sense says that lower will not be better, but I can't stand it.

oh just wait. You know all of those bumps that when stock you crawl over and clear ... then say "wow, that was close" .... I now hit every single one of em. You have to relearn how to drive the car once lowered ... even the small amount that hotchkis does.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:14 AM
brendone

oh just wait. You know all of those bumps that when stock you crawl over and clear ... then say "wow, that was close" .... I now hit every single one of em. You have to relearn how to drive the car once lowered ... even the small amount that hotchkis does.
Dont say that!!! I just ordered the springs and sways and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can still clear the curb in front of the garage.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:39 PM
tractng

Guys,

Jim is correct. When i got my hotchkiss springs, i was scraping my driveway. After a few tries, i get used to angling the car.

On a lazy day, i might scrape.

Tony
Old 04-07-2005, 12:53 PM
JimRHIT

I can go near anywhere now without scraping ... its all about learning the angle you need to take ...

... and holding up traffic while pulling in. Just be sure to slow down way in advance to avoid the chance of being rearended while entering a lot.