Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Brake upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 06:40 AM
VinUnleaded

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake upgrade?

Now that I have seen how wimpy the stock rotors and brakes are.
Can anyone tell me how painful, costly, and labor intensive an upgrade would be?
I am thinking of "copping" out and just having my dealership install the Nismo versions.
My co-worker who I cite often, says he bought the 35th strictly for teh brakes, i.e. the upgrade on his first 350z was a pain, and he said he wouldnt want to repeat it.
I think he said it cost $3000+
Suggestions or Opinions?
Old 03-27-2005, 07:50 AM
bullseye

Originally Posted by VinUnleaded
Can anyone tell me how painful, costly, and labor intensive an upgrade would be? Suggestions or Opinions?
I don't track my car, but I like a good handling, good braking ride. I have Stillen 2-pc big brake kits both front and rear. The front kit has 14-1/4" slotted and X-drilled rotors with 6-piston calipers. The rear kit has 13" slotted and X-drilled rotors with 4-piston calipers. Motul 600 brake fluid courses through stainless steel brake lines. I have not driven the car since the rear kit was installed yesterday, as additional work must be completed on the car before I get it back tomorrow. But the front kit alone, which has been on since last summer, makes a HUGE difference in the way that car stops! It's unreal. I can't wait to see how much better the car stops after the new rears are well-bedded and broken-in, about 1,000 miles from now. Total cost of these brakes: about $4500-$5000 when it's all said and done.

One more thing... the big brakes look great inside my 18" wheels.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:14 AM
VinUnleaded

Geez, thats alot of money.
I thought about doing the Stage 2 upgrade Perf Nissan Advertises for $1500, but if Im gonna pull the rotors off , I might as well have done the whole thing.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:07 AM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The major cost in upgrading brakes is in replacing the calipers and replacing the rotors with a floating hat type rotor. You gotta decide how good you want to brake. You will always be limited by your rotor and caliper sizes if you stay with the stock stuff even if you do the Stage 2 upgrade using better rotors and pads. Also remember the vast majority of braking is done by the fronts so possibly you will want to just get a big brake kit for the front including new calipers and rotors. The install process of a 4 wheel BBK is pretty intensive, but the Stage 2 upgrade is not very difficult at all and can easily be done in an afternoon in the garage.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:09 AM
FritzMan

Avalon racing has an interesting non-Brembo front brake upgrade.

Not as much bling but likely quite effective.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:45 PM
zrdude

Big brakes will likely not make you stop in any shorter distance than stock. They will just endure heat better and not fade as quickly and the stainless steal brake lines might give you better pedal feel. I've had my Z through some damn twisty downhill canyons and never experienced fade with stock. Big brakes are a waste of money imo unless you track it regularly.... There is an article on the stop-tech website which proves that even their 14" bad boys don't stop any quicker than stock, they just take heat much much better...and look good too.

Originally Posted by bullseye
I don't track my car, but I like a good handling, good braking ride. I have Stillen 2-pc big brake kits both front and rear. The front kit has 14-1/4" slotted and X-drilled rotors with 6-piston calipers. The rear kit has 13" slotted and X-drilled rotors with 4-piston calipers. Motul 600 brake fluid courses through stainless steel brake lines. I have not driven the car since the rear kit was installed yesterday, as additional work must be completed on the car before I get it back tomorrow. But the front kit alone, which has been on since last summer, makes a HUGE difference in the way that car stops! It's unreal. I can't wait to see how much better the car stops after the new rears are well-bedded and broken-in, about 1,000 miles from now. Total cost of these brakes: about $4500-$5000 when it's all said and done.

One more thing... the big brakes look great inside my 18" wheels.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:48 AM
FritzMan

Originally Posted by zrdude
Big brakes will likely not make you stop in any shorter distance than stock. They will just endure heat better and not fade as quickly and the stainless steal brake lines might give you better pedal feel. I've had my Z through some damn twisty downhill canyons and never experienced fade with stock. Big brakes are a waste of money imo unless you track it regularly.... There is an article on the stop-tech website which proves that even their 14" bad boys don't stop any quicker than stock, they just take heat much much better...and look good too.
Agreed. The car's stopping distance is pretty much world-class as is!

I upgraded my stock non-Brembo with Russell stainless lines and Hawk HP+ front and HPS rear (little more front bias) and the stopping got even better.

Unless you plan to do multiple high speed braking runs (ie: lapping), I wouldn't bother with bigger brakes.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:18 AM
VinUnleaded

Thanks for the info, seems the money will be better spent elsewhere.
Maybe a SuperCharger someday...especially if Nissan releases a Turbo 350Z to torture me.