Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Mystery: Letting suspension settles after installation of new suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 11:18 AM
Fab_vr6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery: Letting suspension settles after installation of new suspension?

I have heard both sides of the stories: A) Install your new suspension and let it settles by driving the car around for at least 2 weeks, once it is "settled" then do an alignment. B) The concept of alignment "settles" doesn't make sense, do an alignment right away.

Which one is correct?

Gary
Old 04-11-2005, 11:29 AM
2 low Z

Well both A and B are correct. Ideally you should have the alignment done right after because the toe and camber (my caster didn't change much on mine) will be off front and back. And after it "settles" the camber and toe will be slightly off from the previous setting.

I went with the Tanabes and have noticed that the back did settle a bit. I went ahead with the lifetime alignment from firestone and will have a realignment done. I also installed SPC alignment kit for the rear so the camber can be adjusted in the back.

Hope this makes sense.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:35 AM
Fab_vr6

Can you give me a bit more info on the lifetime alignment program at firestone? I only wonder if Firestone Canada offeres the same program... hmm...
Old 04-12-2005, 05:55 AM
KenWH

When I put Hotchkis springs on my Dodge Ram, it took several days for it to settle. Intial drop was about 1/2 what it should have been and I was like wtf . After talking with other guys that have done springs, they told me to wait at least a week to let the springs settle.

Sure enough, after about a week of light driving it eased right down to the advertised 2/4 drop. Then I took it to get aligned.

I've heard some people say that their alignment shop will do an intial alignment right after the spring install and will let you bring it back in after it settles for fine adjustment for little or no additional cost. That would be an ideal situation but I suspect those shops are few and far between. Wouldn't hurt to ask the shop though.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:37 AM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try Minit-tune in Richmond...right beside Burger King on No.3 Road. They do good jobs there.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:42 AM
2 low Z

Not sure about Canada, but the lifetime alignment was like $140 US. Good for the life of the car. I figuered if I get a camber kit it will save me some cash in the long run. Also it is good to have your alignment done once aorund 5000 miles. I'll do it a little more often to keep the toe and caster in check since I have a little negative camber in the front.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:04 PM
Blue Liquid

After i installed my S-Tune suspension, it looked like the rear was on a lift kit. It looks a little better after a week, but it still isn't as low as the front looks.