Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Swaybars, what's the difference?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 07:55 AM
phile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swaybars, what's the difference?

So I imagine i'll be getting some swaybars for my car. But what's the difference? Alot of people get the hotchkis, some get the 350EVO, etc.

I'm pretty sure swaybars have to be matched to the suspension setup properly. Seems like the 350EVO bars would be great considering they have a racecar. Seems more specialized.

What are everyone's thoughts?
Old 04-15-2005, 08:47 AM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RSR Ti2000 Down Springs - 350EVO Sway Bar Set - Koni Sport Yellow Shocks

Adjustability/Features/Ease of use/Quality and Design

The 350EVOs have three settings, I opted for the middle setting. Koni Sport Yellows are adjustible with a ****. I opted for the lowest setting which is stiffer than stock. The RSRs are not adjustible.

The quality of the Konis, RSRs and 350EVO swaybars are top notch.

Comfort/Daily Drivability/Performance

My Z is a daily driver. I take canyon roads daily. There is some loss in comfort however, bounce has been reduced. Most noticable is the fact that body roll is substantially improved. The 350EVO sway bars really work well in keeping the Z level especially in tight curves. The differences is dramatic, I would say that we're talking about shaving off seconds at a track just because of your ability to enter into and more importantly, to exit out of the curve at higher speeds.

The ride is generally comfortable. Obviously I'm giving up the smoother ride for better handling. I notice every bump and flaw of the road but I don't notice substantial increase in fatigue from the new set up. Bumps and potholes aren't as friendly for the new shocks but the feedback is good.

RSR downsprings lower the center of gravity and produce better looks. There was slightly noticable performance improvement.

Koni Sport Yellows and 350EVOs were installed concurrently. I have to say that the Konis and RSRs compliment each other very well. The 350EVO Sway Bar set is simply outstanding. I can certainly see that they were designed by race tested pros. They are solid and keep the Z very well planted. Traction in turns are now limited only by the wheels and tires. Even with stock wheels, it's very clear that the sways are an exceptional performance improving modification. Of the three suspension modifications, I would have to say that if you're only going to do one thing, I'd recommend the sways over everything else.

The Vendors

The Konis and sways were ordered from 350EVO. The RSRs were ordered through StreetImage. There was a 9 day delay due to BJ being sick. I was upset about the delay however, BJ was stand up in not charging for 3 day delivery.

Conclusions

I highly recommend the 350EVO sways. I give this component an A+. I recommend the Koni Sport Yellows and give this component an A. I also recommend the RSRs and also give this component an A. StreetImage gets an A+ for pricing and installation. 350EVO gets an A+ for producing an extremely high quality swaybar and an A- for service.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....47#post1374947
Old 04-15-2005, 01:57 PM
phile

Are the 350EVO sway bars hollow? What are difference between race springs and down springs? I'm guessing the ti2000s are down springs like you said, instead of race springs?

If I got those suspension upgrades I would not need to bother getting coilovers correct?

The only down side of going with what you suggested is if I decide to lighten my Z I won't be able to corner weight the car. Well, I would be if I sunk another 2800 in coilvers! haha
Old 04-15-2005, 03:00 PM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are not hollow. In fact, I believe they are one of only two sway bars that are solid, the other being from Cusco. They are heavy duty sways.

As for the springs, the ti2000s are down springs. I don't know what the difference is between down springs or race springs, it might have something to do with stiffness and spring rates. Ask your vendor.

Correct, if you get shocks and springs, you don't need more expensive coilovers which are basically a combination of the two in one unit.

As for corner weighting, I never gave that much thought since I don't track the car. However, with this set-up the Z just needs a big brake kit to be track ready. I can't tell you how nice it is to change lanes like a switch blade without noticing any body roll. Only in very tight curves at higher speeds do you notice any roll whatsoever.

The only draw back I see is not being able to tell where the limit is because the suspension is so confidence inspiring.

Good luck.
Old 04-15-2005, 04:06 PM
phile

Originally Posted by hfm
They are not hollow. In fact, I believe they are one of only two sway bars that are solid, the other being from Cusco. They are heavy duty sways.

As for the springs, the ti2000s are down springs. I don't know what the difference is between down springs or race springs, it might have something to do with stiffness and spring rates. Ask your vendor.

Correct, if you get shocks and springs, you don't need more expensive coilovers which are basically a combination of the two in one unit.

As for corner weighting, I never gave that much thought since I don't track the car. However, with this set-up the Z just needs a big brake kit to be track ready. I can't tell you how nice it is to change lanes like a switch blade without noticing any body roll. Only in very tight curves at higher speeds do you notice any roll whatsoever.

The only draw back I see is not being able to tell where the limit is because the suspension is so confidence inspiring.

Good luck.

Thanks alot for the advice I was thinking about the ti2000 springs a couple weeks ago. I posted in a thread about it.

And about not being able to tell where your limits are. That's scary stuff man. I'm sure you're a great driver, but I woudl take it to a large mall parking lot and find the limits. When I drive my friends EVO I feel like I can't judge the limits of the car. This is why most vendors recommend a staggered setup with the Z, to promote a little understeer.

Good luck, and be careful!

EDIT: p.s. what is the advantage of a solid swaybar over a hollow one? I thought a hollow design was more structurally sound..maybe it's just the weight factor.

Last edited by phile; 04-15-2005 at 04:14 PM.