Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Tien Flex w/EDFC Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 11:49 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

everyone has their own take - I personally find the EDFC more of a gimmick on the Z than anything else, frankly because there is not a huge adjustment range on the valving, since they use tiny twin tubes inside. Yes there is a difference between full soft and full stiff, but its nothing earth shattering, and can take a while to get dialed in, since there are so many adjustment points.

For the best all around unit that I have used are threefold:

1. HKS RS - very versatile setup, very comfortable for the street, and when the dampening is turned up, it handles terrifically. The rear mounts are the nicest out there short of the Zeals, though they are not dual height adjustable up front.

2. Cusco Zero 2 with reinforced rubber mounts - this is what I run. Took me a little while to get them dialed in to suit my driving style, and also took me going from the pillowball version to the reinforced rubber mounts, but I am thrilled with them. Rear mounts are not quite as robust looking as the HKS, but they are dual height adjustable and the dampening adjustments actually DO something. These are 5 way dampening adjustable.

3. Zeal Function V6 - the most versatile of the bunch - the Zeal quality is second to none, and the dampening adjustments again actually do something. Does not take long to dial in too, as there are only 6 adjsutment levels. Also dual height adjustable. The Zeals also have the nicest dampening adjuster of any coilover I have used.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:12 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

of course the Zeals are almost twice as expensive!

I have heard other people say that the EDFC is gimmicky also and maybe it is for some people. I find it very useful. But I am surprised you do not consider the difference between full soft and full stiff to be that great. I find it significant. I'd like to try one of the others to see what you mean.
My only complaint with the Tein Flex is that I'd like to see full stiff be a little more teeth rattling.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:29 PM
thawk408

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
everyone has their own take - I personally find the EDFC more of a gimmick on the Z than anything else, frankly because there is not a huge adjustment range on the valving, since they use tiny twin tubes inside. Yes there is a difference between full soft and full stiff, but its nothing earth shattering, and can take a while to get dialed in, since there are so many adjustment points.

For the best all around unit that I have used are threefold:

1. HKS RS - very versatile setup, very comfortable for the street, and when the dampening is turned up, it handles terrifically. The rear mounts are the nicest out there short of the Zeals, though they are not dual height adjustable up front.

2. Cusco Zero 2 with reinforced rubber mounts - this is what I run. Took me a little while to get them dialed in to suit my driving style, and also took me going from the pillowball version to the reinforced rubber mounts, but I am thrilled with them. Rear mounts are not quite as robust looking as the HKS, but they are dual height adjustable and the dampening adjustments actually DO something. These are 5 way dampening adjustable.

3. Zeal Function V6 - the most versatile of the bunch - the Zeal quality is second to none, and the dampening adjustments again actually do something. Does not take long to dial in too, as there are only 6 adjsutment levels. Also dual height adjustable. The Zeals also have the nicest dampening adjuster of any coilover I have used.
What about the HKS Hypermax II? Also, when looking at the Cusco Zero 2 I noticed that the fronts are way stiffer then the rear:
Cusco Zero 1&2 (Monotube, 1=non adjustable dampener, 2=adjustable dampener)
Full-length adjustment and height adjustment for separate setting of the height and spring preload
560/392 F+78% R+15%
Damper adjustability: (for Zero2’s only) 5-way adjustable
Transfers +63% roll stiffness to front (no they do not run their rear springs on the dampener body, oem location, seen them on the car with my own eyes.)
Side Note: That’s a awful lot of spring stiffness to move to the front
Old 04-22-2005, 04:34 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

dont think we have ever used them

yes the front rate is much stiffer - it is like this on several of the setups out there - I cannot comment as to why they chose to do it this way (there is a lot that goes into determining the proper spring rate including stroke of the shock, suspension layout, etc. However, having lived personally with these for over a year, they have performed flawlessly and are alot more versatile than many of the other coilovers I have used on the Z
Old 04-22-2005, 04:46 PM
thawk408

Do you have any experience with KW Variant 3 Coilovers? I have read alittle bit about them and they seem to be a very good peice.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:01 PM
GY-Z

i'm very agreed with Z1.
you'll have to know your weight distribution from front and rear, your tire setup, your sway bar setting to determine if a coilover suits you.
and Zeal V6 indeed have a top notch quality.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:43 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
Cusco does not offer revalving though to suit other rates. While I agree on paper the roll stiffness is alot for the front, in practice, as one often finds, things are vastly different. The one and only time I tracked my car I netted lap times that were as fast as our full ITS BMW - and my car is full weight, no cage.

It is all about proper setup, no matter what solution you choose

adam
I've seen places on the net that sell them that mention the ability to pick rates on the Cusco Zero 2's, I'll take your word as truth about that not being possible.

Chassis setup rarely in the end stray's from the known tuning law's set forth by those that have laid down those laws. Increasing or moving the stiffness of the springs to the front will reduce the degree of roll, which limits the degree of camber and track change, which, by itself (not taking into account load transfer), will result in more cornering force and a more stable, controlled car. The overall picture is that although you may have less ultimate cornering force, your car may be easier to drive, but slower in the end.

No matter what, though, springs, bars, and shocks are a big game of trial-and-error. When we don't do setups that follow the law, we set ourselves up to follow a slower path then when we do follow the rules. It is much easier to make your car slower than faster. Caroll Smith's Tune to Win, Fred Puhn's How to make your car handle and the book by the Skip Barber racing school Going faster are all excellent reads.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:10 PM
thawk408

Does anyone have any imput on the HKS Hypermax II?
Old 07-13-2005, 11:23 AM
Mr_Q

For me, the need to properly 4 corner balance the car is MOST important. Not because I am some super serious autocrosser but because I weigh 300lbs! My Zs handle is way off because of that. You should hear my tires on right turns. So a coil over that allows me to properly balance the car is needed.

I like the TEIN's because I can 4 corner balance a street setting then, from within the driver's seat, adjust to a more stiffer track setting when needed. That's awesome. Why get out of your car to switch modes? That seems so, "old school". LOL
Old 07-14-2005, 10:00 AM
barthelb
Master

I agree with Mr_Q

In car adjustability should be available on most if not all high end coilovers. I have the Zeal V6 and are almost wanting to trade in for a Tein w/ EDFC. But the ride quality on the Zeals is way better. But they aren't flawless. They are a bit noisier and of course are manual adjustments. It still handles great on full soft but the in-ability of not being able to adjust it on the fly really sucks. Hopefully there will be something available soon.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:07 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

awfully difficult to offer in car adjustment on inverted dampers though......that would be one expensive setup

frankly, I find myself picking a set damper setting for front and rear and just leaving it alone
Old 07-14-2005, 10:21 AM
Mr_Q

Something else I just thought of...one of the presets I need to have is someone at the shop to sit in the passenger seat while I am in the driver's seat. Then, balance the car again for that scenerio. Cause they are going to have to do some major adjustments with just me in it and if an "average" passenger is riding along, everything's going to get hosed. Be nice to push a button and get the car as close to being balanced for that too.

EDFC has three storage settings right? So my settings would be...

1) Street and just me
2) Track and just me
3) Street, me and a passenger
Old 07-17-2005, 08:04 PM
Eagle1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1) Street and just me-10F-12R
2) Track and just me-3F-5R
3) Street, me and a passenger-14F-16R
Old 10-27-2006, 09:38 AM
Drift_corners

If your car feels like its on rails your not driving fast enough
Old 10-27-2006, 11:10 AM
spacemn_spiff

Originally Posted by mbonanni1856
Yup. I was there when he did it.
And how did you measure it?
Old 10-30-2006, 11:59 AM
Drift_corners

Holding G;s on a skidpad and hitting a massive g around any random turn are diffrent things, the skidpad makes it all relative. I have seen Z's on re040's 225/245 hit 1 g on random turns in autocross. only for a slight second, on a skidpad they would be most likley less than .86(guestimate)
Old 11-04-2006, 08:16 AM
crabbycarl

Default Tanabe Pro 7

What do you guys think about the Tein Flex vs. the Tanabe Pro 7 with the TEAS? I know there's a pretty big price difference ($800 - $900), but I'm wondering what to put into my car.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:30 AM
MoodDude

You made a good choice. I personnally have the Flex w/ EDFC and change the setting depending on the track and street. Unlike Z1, I actually dial in the ideal set up for the track I am driving and the conditions. For instance, for Road Atlanta and Barber I set my front to the damping setting of 2 and the rear to 10. Yet, when I am at Sebring I had to change the front to 4 and the rear to 14 to get the most grip.
Also, change the dampening depending on if the track is wet or dry. And the nice thing about the EDFC is you can change the setting while you are on track and see what works best.

The only way to go even better is to look for a coilover that offers a 2-way or even a 3-way adjustment. I would love to adjust my dampening and rebound separately, yet for the cost a single adjustable is the way to go unless you have a dedicated track car.

And as an FYI - all my RX8 friends who track there car all agree that the Flex w/ EDFC is the way to go.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:05 AM
Eagle1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by crabbycarl
What do you guys think about the Tein Flex vs. the Tanabe Pro 7 with the TEAS? I know there's a pretty big price difference ($800 - $900), but I'm wondering what to put into my car.
The tanabe Pro 7 with TEAS sounds very nice, but I have not yet come across anyone who has it or has driven it. the Tein is an older offering and it works very neatly. I would be very intrigued with hearing from someone who has first hand experience with both and could compare for us.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:04 AM
chishifu

yeah this seems kinda ridiculous, you've got a very skeptical reader here.

ChiShi

Quick Reply: Tien Flex w/EDFC Questions