Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Camber is at -1.78 on stock suspension - firestone says can't adjust

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 02:24 PM
boma

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camber is at -1.78 on stock suspension - firestone says can't adjust

I put on some Wanli 225/40/18 Tires on the front since my RE040's were balding out.
I had them install these tires and do an alignment.
But they told me the right tire needs to be "pulled out" at a body shop?

I got a printout and it says:

My Right Camber is -1.78, which is beyond the -1.10 to .10 range.

Left Front Spec Range Right Front Spec Range
-.59 -1.10 .10 Camber -1.78 -1.10 0.10
7.27 2.80 4.80 Caster 6.82 2.80 4.80
-0.08 -0.11 0.01 Toe -0.05 -0.11 0.01

I'm stock suspension and stock touring wheels. It doesn't make any sense that they can't adjust it, especially when I had Nissan do a four wheel alignment 5 months ago.

Should I just buy a camber kit for the front wheels? Or what should I do?
Old 04-23-2005, 02:53 PM
OvaYahead

if you didn't tamper with the suspension at all, just bring it back to Nissan with the print out of the alignment.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:06 AM
VQ35DECivic

If all else is stock, and you haven't been in an accident, hit a really large pothole, etc., the shop is pulling your chain.

Their machine sounds like it's severely out of spec and your best bet is to take it to a Nissan dealer, where Nissan requires them to have their machines calibrated periodically.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:46 AM
boma

That's the thing, I bought my car used, and I know its been through something really bad.

I got conned on my used car, bc the guy told me nothing was wrong with it at all.

Nissan aligned my tires and didn't say anything. But then again they're a stealership.

Does it cost alot to have Nissan just read my alignment and give me a printout?
Old 04-26-2005, 12:10 PM
grifferjr

Originally Posted by boma
That's the thing, I bought my car used, and I know its been through something really bad.

I got conned on my used car, bc the guy told me nothing was wrong with it at all.

Nissan aligned my tires and didn't say anything. But then again they're a stealership.

Does it cost alot to have Nissan just read my alignment and give me a printout?

sounds like you are talking structural damage to the car. did ya carfax it. i know you probably dont want to know now but pay a few bucks and get a carfax history, find out what the car has been through and you might have to pay to get it fixed. if things are really that bad you may need to look at possibly some legal action if the car wasnt fit for resale. i am guessing that you bought the car off the private market used (even though you say nissan aligned the tires)???? If thats the case then you might have a rough road ahead of you.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:15 PM
boma

Yes Griffey I did carfax it. It checked out clear as whistle. Apparentely it doesn't say much, if no one reported what happened. You're right I did buy it from a private market used. Somehow nissan didn't say my front right was messed up. I did find uneven wear on both front tires, but it looked like the tire feathering everyone has.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:58 PM
lsdunique

It might not necessarilly be from an accident. The car comes with ZERO camber adjustability from the factory, and alignment changes through time, and thats why it needs to be readjusted.

I never quite figured out why they gave zero camber adjustment on the front, but they do on the rear to an extent.

It could be an accident, pothole, or just through normal wear and tear.

sales pitch ** we have a group buy going with our front camber adjustable arms for 325.00 shipped (and they are newly improved design)
Old 04-26-2005, 08:20 PM
Go Speed Ricer

When you say from an accident is this irreparable? I spun on I-81 trying to deflect a blown trucker tire luckily I spun into a ditch. Body was untouched but rear suspension was shot. Now it’s been a year and my rear tires wear in the inside, I’ve gone to the dealership three times for realignment but -1.6 is as far as it will go. Can I still come back to my insurance and say the suspension job done after the accident was not back to stock? Its frustrating especially with going through 2 sets of s03’s in a year? I cant account anything else for this particular anomaly because when I look at my original tires from my stock rims it showed no signs of wear in the inside.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:27 PM
nuttyprof

DONT EVER DO YOUR ALIGNMENTS AT FIRESTONE. those guys really suck where i live. and they only gave me a 2 wheel alignment. On top of that they aligned my G35 to I35 specs. idiots. set my toe at 1.25 degrees.... when its supposed to be at .02 degrees. my brand new tires went bald in 7k miles.....
Old 04-26-2005, 11:22 PM
boma

Originally Posted by Go Speed Ricer
When you say from an accident is this irreparable? I spun on I-81 trying to deflect a blown trucker tire luckily I spun into a ditch. Body was untouched but rear suspension was shot. Now it’s been a year and my rear tires wear in the inside, I’ve gone to the dealership three times for realignment but -1.6 is as far as it will go. Can I still come back to my insurance and say the suspension job done after the accident was not back to stock? Its frustrating especially with going through 2 sets of s03’s in a year? I cant account anything else for this particular anomaly because when I look at my original tires from my stock rims it showed no signs of wear in the inside.

Call insurance. It's most likely that. ARG............
Old 04-26-2005, 11:35 PM
boma

Originally Posted by nuttyprof
DONT EVER DO YOUR ALIGNMENTS AT FIRESTONE. those guys really suck where i live. and they only gave me a 2 wheel alignment. On top of that they aligned my G35 to I35 specs. idiots. set my toe at 1.25 degrees.... when its supposed to be at .02 degrees. my brand new tires went bald in 7k miles.....
Arg. I just bought the lifetime alignment package for $99
Old 04-26-2005, 11:38 PM
boma

check out my settings. anything else look out of wack? Thx. I will look into those camber arms for the front. I can't afford them yet.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
File0008.pdf (67.0 KB, 98 views)
Old 04-27-2005, 07:57 AM
VQ35DECivic

Coupla things... If it's -1.7, there's either got to be something severely wrong w/ the vehicle, or the alignment machine is totally way off/not calibrated, or some of both. Carfax, BTW, won't tell you very much, other than a salvage title. The vehicle could have $20K in damage, but if it's not salvaged or totalled, then there's not going to be any record of the vehicle having been in an accident.

And w/ regards to the alignment machine... the stock toe setting is 1mm toe-in, give or take 1mm being the factory tolerance. Since that is a linear measurement as given in metric measure, you can't compare that to a rotational measure (degrees/minutes/seconds) unless you convert it.