Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Which brake kit do you think is the BEST?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 05:00 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The BEST? How do you define this in a brake kit? Honestly, you can't

Stick with a name brand, and you'll be just fine.

The BEST will be the one attached to the lightest Z, wearing R Compound tires....

the pad selection for GREX, Alcon, Endless, Stoptech, Brembo, AP, Rotora is huge...you'll sell the car before you try all the pads available.

As for the GREX finish, keep in mind the chrome is an extra cost...the standard color is a very tasteful gold.

So the moral of the story is (in no particular order)

1. Define your purpose - are you doing it for performance, a styling mod, or a bit of both? This will help you narrow the field.

2. If it is a style choice, whats the overall look you are going for..more show, more track styled, etc.

3. Customer support/recalls/problems - I can personally vouch for AP, Brembo Stoptech, and Endless customer support - all are top notch (I deal with each ona weekly basis).

4. overall design - the kits you are talking about are all in the same overall league - stick with a firm like this and you'll be in good shape. All have dust shields, so all will last a good long time.

5. Noises, etc - that's all in your pad selection. I have APs on my own cars, and have zero noises (my one Z has the 6 pistons and uses Mintex pads, the other has the 4 piston and uses Ferrodo's - neither is noisy at all

Adam

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 05-13-2005 at 05:10 PM.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:14 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adam, seem like Rotora is not falling into your recommend list. Do you have any special deal for Stoptech 14" Front in Blue now?
Old 05-13-2005, 06:28 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rotora makes really high quality kits as well - we have been very pleased with their results on the cars we have used them on.

I'll PM ya Monday with pricing
Old 08-16-2005, 05:59 PM
Dan Ketch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which ones did you go with?
Old 08-17-2005, 07:14 AM
racin

Originally Posted by bixby
Why do people rule out Brembo for aftermarket? Just curious because to me it would make sense when ordering replacement pads. You'd just select replacement parts for a Track model in that case wouldn't you? Pardon my ignorance her.

I am considering a BBK sometime in the future as well and Brembo just seems to be the easiest & most logical choice. What am I missing here?
The Brembo caliper used for most of their BBK's is different than the one used for the Track model Z, and it also uses a different pad than both the track model AND other kits like StopTech, etc. It's swept area is a bit smaller than the StopTech ST40 pad as well.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:48 AM
dwnshift

We are working with PFC (Perfromacne Friction) on a 350Z/G35 Grand AM Cup kit and a "performance" street car kit.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:03 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i LOVE my StopTech 14" front/rear big brake kit... and now they have a 13" kit which is probably better for everyday use-

honestly. 80% of the people buying BBKs dont even need the rear kit.. i dont even think i need it. but im sure any kit you get, it will be bling!
Old 08-17-2005, 11:03 AM
AznIceRckt

this is somewhat new I believe.

ap racing 6 piston caliper
355mm floating 2-piece vented/slotted discs
racing pads
fit under 18" oem touring and track wheels

3700 front only! ouch..

I'd say the 'best' is something non-bolt on. Bolt on though, this AP or the endless ccr 6/4 piston setup.

http://www.stillen.com/Sportscars_de...d=63649&page=2
Old 08-17-2005, 11:53 AM
itsjoshufocker

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

has anyone tried the brake kit from racingbrake? it uses the stock calipers just bigger brackets and rotors and pads... does it have more stopping power? maybe close or equal to a full bbk kit?
Old 08-17-2005, 04:51 PM

I can't believe nobody mentioned Tarox.

I mean they have a 12-pot caliper. How can you compare???

http://cemautosport.com/products/ind...ist&clearoff=1

(Scroll to bottom of page.)

Old 08-17-2005, 05:06 PM
racin

This is a joke, right?
Old 08-17-2005, 05:13 PM
jran76

Stoptech here, great product and service, top notch. If you want bling, they can do custom colors.

One not mentioned, Project Mu....
Old 08-17-2005, 07:42 PM
M3This

I cant vouch for my self, howevver I have read in several brake shoot outs in differnt mags and stoptech always seems to have the shortest distance and the best reviews. However I have NEVER seen them compared to Endless in any of the tests and have heard great things about them as well.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:49 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sure... more pots if you want better pad wear and less clamping force...

That wont be the best Performing brake kit...

Best Race Proven Perfoamnce kit is the Stop Tech 14.1" Front and 12.9" Rear. Their ST40 Caliper is used on many race cars on the Front and the ST22 Caliper is used on the Rear...
Old 08-17-2005, 10:46 PM
Triple8Sol
Banned

Stoptech is basically just putting kits together. It was explained to me that they source their calipers from AP Racing. AP Racing makes great stuff, so I'd go straight to the source...
Old 08-18-2005, 02:46 AM
racin

I'm sure there will be quite a response to this one...
Old 08-18-2005, 04:59 AM
King Tut

Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
Stoptech is basically just putting kits together. It was explained to me that they source their calipers from AP Racing. AP Racing makes great stuff, so I'd go straight to the source...
Ignorance is bliss. I am sure JRITT will respond to clear up your confusion.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:13 AM
sdoow

Our brake kit was specifically designed for the 350Z / G35. With over 18 months development and testing just for the 350Z you better believe that the kit has an outstanding performance. If you purchase both front & rear kits (which we recommend and costs less then most front BBK’s), then you are getting a fully balanced brake system. Here are a few highlights of what the kit has to offer:

Fits stock wheels
NO SPACERS
Easy installation
Convergent Vane – vanes are convergent nozzle design, increasing airflow and turbulence, which makes the disc cooler
Center-mount – there is a load of advantages, to highlight one the air inlets are widely open to both inboard and outboard sides of the rotor, rather than your traditional surface mount
Affordable

For under $2,000 you can get both front & rear BBK kits, that is the best bang for the buck.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:13 AM
jran76

Stoptech DOES NOT use AP racing calipers, they make their own forged calipers (and hats and rotors too). They also do a lot more than just put kits together. AP makes great stuff at many different levels, their racing stuff is top notch, but I don't think any of us can afford their carbon brakes.

I am sure Stoptech will have something to add....
Old 08-18-2005, 09:39 AM
J Ritt

Triple8Sol,
I think my Egineering team would have a few things to say about your post!

We are definitely NOT "just putting kits together." Take a read through our website technical pages, and this overview of our testing procedures on the 350Z. Every one of our 400+ BBK's is designed and developed specifically for the platform on which it will be installed.
http://zeckhausen.com/Testing_Brakes.htm
http://www.stoptech.com/technical/

We manufacture our own products. Here is some info on our partners and suppliers of 'raw materials.' http://www.stoptech.com/company/

We only sell one line of brake kits. We don't have a watered-down street kit, and a full race kit. The kits the pro racers are winning with are identical to the kits we sell to our normal street customers. Take a look at these articles to see how well we're doing at the top levels of production-car racing. We've been mopping up over the last few weeks.
http://www.stoptech.com/news/

It was explained to me that they source their calipers from AP Racing. AP Racing makes great stuff, so I'd go straight to the source
These rumors have been propigated by our competitors, and individuals that would like to see us fail. At one point or another over my time at StopTech, I've heard that we're rebadging Brembo, AP, and Rotora brake calipers!

Things are changing a bit as our reputation grows however, as people begin to learn about the level of effort that goes into our products. Some customers are now asking our much larger competitors like Brembo if they are rebadging our product. One of their sales reps told me that a while back, and I got a kick out of that. We in fact do have a number of very high profile customers that are rebadging our product, such as Toyota Racing Development (TRD).

Quick Reply: Which brake kit do you think is the BEST?