Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Replacing shocks - need new cotter pins/non-reusable parts

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 08:17 AM
broohaha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Replacing shocks - need new cotter pins/non-reusable parts

I'm installing Koni Yellows, and tried to research as much as possible, the details of doing it myself.

I have the service manual which identifies a handful of cotter pins and even some bolts that should not be resused.

1. I haven't really seen anyone specifically mention that they replaced these parts with new ones. (Perhaps it's assumed and I'm a dumb@ss.)

2. Service manual doesn't give me any specs on the bolts/pins. So should I simply be able to go the dealership and hope the parts department knows what they're doing?

3. I want to do this right, so a simple trip to the dealer is no biggie for me. However, I am curious to know if you think it's important to replace these? Or is it Nissan being extra-cautious...?

Thanks for any info.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:22 AM
MIAPLAYA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by broohaha
I'm installing Koni Yellows, and tried to research as much as possible, the details of doing it myself.

I have the service manual which identifies a handful of cotter pins and even some bolts that should not be resused.

1. I haven't really seen anyone specifically mention that they replaced these parts with new ones. (Perhaps it's assumed and I'm a dumb@ss.)

2. Service manual doesn't give me any specs on the bolts/pins. So should I simply be able to go the dealership and hope the parts department knows what they're doing?

3. I want to do this right, so a simple trip to the dealer is no biggie for me. However, I am curious to know if you think it's important to replace these? Or is it Nissan being extra-cautious...?

Thanks for any info.

At the very least all cotter pins need to be replaced. These are one use items...
Old 06-30-2005, 05:28 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Go down the hardware section of any home improvement store and look for the area where they usually have misc specialty hardware stuff stored in pull out drawer's. Find 3/32 brass or stainless cotter pins that are 1" long. I get mine from Orchard Supply hardware, don't know if you have any near you.