Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Springs and Goils, what's the diff?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 07:02 PM
ZlleH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Springs and Goils, what's the diff?

I've read people dropping their car with springs (which you can find on ebay for like $150... And then there are the coils that look like pistons which are like $1000 a set...

What's the difference? Which one is ususally done?
Old 07-03-2005, 07:11 PM
imalazeeass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Springs are just springs. Your shocks will eventually wear off. Coilovers is the whole deal, hence the big difference in price.
Old 07-03-2005, 08:33 PM
ZlleH

So you have to get both springs and coils to drop your car?

Originally Posted by imalazeeass
Springs are just springs. Your shocks will eventually wear off. Coilovers is the whole deal, hence the big difference in price.
Old 07-03-2005, 08:42 PM
B-Unit

NO, coils are the "propper" way to drop your car im my opinion. They are adjustable unlike springs, and geared far more towards the cosmetic/performance aspect of the cars suspension, while springs are basically geared solely towards cosmetic as the actually make the cars performance worse imo.

With springs, you will have to deal with many pain in the butt consequences that springs inherently produce. For 1, your camber will be completely screwed up, and with a car that allready has camber problems (aka, feathering), i would definitely not go with springs if i wanted to do any suspension mod to my car. 2, you will have to replace the shocks eventually, sooner than later as your stock shocks will not be able to handle this lower ride height and increased pressure on the shocks, which will eventually blow sooner rather than later.

Coilovers are the ultimate performace and cosmetic geared package. They cost anywhere from 730 - 2000 dollars. I purchased a set of tein basics for 730 and I honestly could not be happier. These things gave me a great drop and a significant difference in ride quality, adjustability, and cornering ability. I love them.

So in my opinion. If you absolutely cant afford to drop some money to propperly lower your car, then dont lower it at all until you have enought money to get yourself a nice set of coilovers. Springs will produce problems that will great significantly decreased tire tread life, and could possibly at worst lead to your car crashing (springs caused my tires to wear quickly and improperly, i lost control in the rain and crashed). Im very passionate about this becase i believe having springs on my last car created many many problems, ultimately leading to my car to not perform as well in a rainy situation.

hope this helps

-Bryan-
Old 07-03-2005, 09:34 PM
UCLAzzz

Originally Posted by B-Unit
Coilovers are the ultimate performace and cosmetic geared package. They cost anywhere from 730 - 2000 dollars. I purchased a set of tein basics for 730 and I honestly could not be happier. These things gave me a great drop and a significant difference in ride quality, adjustability, and cornering ability. I love them.
-Bryan-
I was this close to going with some springs and struts for suspension, but am strongly reconsidering. Can you tell me more about the Tein basics. Are they noisy at all? You don't have any problems with tire feathering, did you have to buy any camber arms/toe arms (not sure what there called exactly)? How low did you drop it? What type of driving do you typically do? Track, canyon runs etc. I think you were at the SB run a few weeks back, wish I would have hitched a ride with you to feel them out (I had the cerritos nissan plates still on).
Lastly, Basics vs Flex, what are the pros and cons and your feelings! Anyways, any info would be greatly appreciated. BTW, I'm a fellow bruin as well, THanks

Last edited by UCLAzzz; 07-03-2005 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:51 PM
Badfish25

What about springs engineered to work WITH stock shocks like hotchkis? They only lower 3/4 and .5 inches, so there are no problems with camber being to far out of spec an alignment can't fix.
Plus it's a known fact that the 350'z shocks and springs were mismatched from the factory. A spring better matched may improve handling as well as ride. I'll post my impressions after I install their springs with sways. with these springs sways are needed as a softer spring rate in the rear induced more understeer, the sways counter this and better handling.
Wrong springs that are not engineered and just drop a car and increase srping rate are a NO NO, not only will your shocks blow quickly and produce the classic civic bounce, but it's quite dangerous on the roads.

Not to knock Coils, I"ll be upgrading to coils if I ever turbo. for now 150 for some springs is worth it to satisfy me for the next few months.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:27 PM
B-Unit

Originally Posted by UCLAzzz
I was this close to going with some springs and struts for suspension, but am strongly reconsidering. Can you tell me more about the Tein basics. Are they noisy at all? You don't have any problems with tire feathering, did you have to buy any camber arms/toe arms (not sure what there called exactly)? How low did you drop it? What type of driving do you typically do? Track, canyon runs etc. I think you were at the SB run a few weeks back, wish I would have hitched a ride with you to feel them out (I had the cerritos nissan plates still on).
Lastly, Basics vs Flex, what are the pros and cons and your feelings! Anyways, any info would be greatly appreciated. BTW, I'm a fellow bruin as well, THanks

Can you contact me on aim, its much easier than posting.

-Bryan-
Old 07-03-2005, 10:55 PM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ummmmm

With springs, you will have to deal with many pain in the butt consequences that springs inherently produce. For 1, your camber will be completely screwed up, and with a car that allready has camber problems (aka, feathering), i would definitely not go with springs if i wanted to do any suspension mod to my car. 2, you will have to replace the shocks eventually, sooner than later as your stock shocks will not be able to handle this lower ride height and increased pressure on the shocks, which will eventually blow sooner rather than later.
If you lower your car 1" using springs chaces are you wont have any issues with your struts. Also it will help out a lot in performance. it wont be as good as a high dollar coil over set but springs + struts will be just as good as coil overs. You however will not beable to adjust the ride height.

As far as the camber/toe problems..... dude if you lower your car you will change your camber/toe/caster no matter if you use coilovers or springs if you lower the car it will change no matter what.

If you lower your car with springs you will have to fix your alinement ONCE after that you will be set. With coil overs you will have to adjust your alinement EVERY single time you change your ride height. once again if you raise/lower your car it will change everything linked to the suspension.

Bottom line, coil overs are adjustable springs with struts all in one. are they better then just springs? yes are they better then springs+ matching struts? only if you're big on changing your ride height. as with fixing your alinement each time you change it.

If you have a track car I'd go with coil overs since chances are you will adjust the coil overs to meet your needs for that track. for street use I wouldnt touch them. Springs matched with a good set of struts would be more then enough.
plus once you install a camber kit and get the alinement right you wont have to worry about it again.
Old 07-04-2005, 07:17 AM
UCLAzzz

Originally Posted by jeffie7
If you have a track car I'd go with coil overs since chances are you will adjust the coil overs to meet your needs for that track. for street use I wouldnt touch them. Springs matched with a good set of struts would be more then enough.
plus once you install a camber kit and get the alinement right you wont have to worry about it again.
Let's say I got Konis or Tokico D-specs, those matched with some high qualilty springs would have a comparable performance versus Tein Basics, or even Flex. If I did get a strut/spring setup, now, and then a few months later get some new rims, could I just buy some new springs to adjust my lowering up or down as I desire? Do struts lower a vehicle or only springs? I'm just trying to learn...to be an informed consumer. Thanks
Old 07-04-2005, 08:13 AM
B-Unit

I returned you pm UCLAz
Old 07-06-2005, 03:28 PM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UCLAzzz
Let's say I got Konis or Tokico D-specs, those matched with some high qualilty springs would have a comparable performance versus Tein Basics, or even Flex. If I did get a strut/spring setup, now, and then a few months later get some new rims, could I just buy some new springs to adjust my lowering up or down as I desire? Do struts lower a vehicle or only springs? I'm just trying to learn...to be an informed consumer. Thanks
With after market struts you shouldnt have any problems adjusting your height.
just keep in mind that you will throw off your alinement everytime you raise/lower your car.

And on that note, I'm going outside right now to install my Camber Kit. so I can adjust my camber that is realllllly off right now.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:10 PM
UCLAzzz

What would you guys do for simply street driving, canyons, and dodging cars on the freeway to work (when late), Koni Yellow with good springs versus Tein Basics? This is where I'm at right now!!
Old 07-06-2005, 06:22 PM
Gruppe-S
Vendor - Former Vendor

We install a few sets of Tein basic and they were pretty good ride quality considering the affordable price. I was quite impress by how well these coilover response to turns and bumps.

Tein Flex offer more adjustability (height and dampening) and you can also use EDFC for in cabin control. You should also look into HKS RS if you are in that price range.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 07-06-2005, 07:15 PM
UCLAzzz

How streetable are the Flex's and HKS RS...? I drive a bumpy 710 freeway around 1 hour and half 5 days a week to work....I love the EDFC, but concerned about the noise of the Flex's and the harshness of the ride! I guess I just need to keep doing my research and seek some Z's with all three of the above on their ride...my friend has the Flex's, and at the time it did not seem that bad, but I was in awe of his ride and didn't really pay attention to his suspension specifically, he pretty much has every performance mod known to man...he's looking to go FI and track his Z...I dobt I will ever track...FI maybe some day...bottom line, I should drive his Z again!!!

Last edited by UCLAzzz; 07-06-2005 at 07:18 PM.