Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

replacing my front rotors

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 05:29 PM
rgreene

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing my front rotors

So I got my Z back from it's 30k service today and I was told that I would need to replace my front rotors. According to the tech the spec is for the rotors to be at 24mm, where mine are at 21mm. The dealership is quoting me $240 for both front rotors, so I'm looking around online and it looks like for that much I can buy myself some new slotted/drilled rotors. First off: does 3mm of thickness really necessitate a replacment, or is that the dealership trying to make money? Also, if I were to go with slotted/drilled rotors, will that cause the rotors or pads to wear out much faster? Lastly, where would you recommend buying these from? Thanks for fielding my newbie questsions
Old 07-06-2005, 04:53 AM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a spec for the rotors and the thickness should be within that spec to be perfectly safe. I'm not sure what the spec is though you can probably find it in a search. As for the $240 price if that includes install it doesn't sound that bad to me, but rotors are fairly easy to install yourself. But given that you actually took your car to the dealership for the "30k service" I doubt you will be doing it yourself. The slotted/drilled rotors will not noticeably cause the pads to wear out quicker. If you want some great rotors and pads I would go with Stoptechs and contact one of their dealers like Avalon Racing.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:44 AM
rgreene

Yea, I'm really not all that mechanically inclined myself. If it is an easy install, I wouldn't mind giving it a shot -- but I've never really done as serious as this before, mostly I don't know what I'm doing and I'm afraid I'll screw up my car.

That price I got from Performance Nissan -- and its only the cost of the parts, but I figure I'd have to get them installed somewhere anyway so the install cost shouldn't be a factor.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:10 AM
imalazeeass

rgreene what stoptech rotors are you getting from performance nissan?
Old 07-06-2005, 10:20 AM
rgreene

I was looking at these:
http://performancenissanparts.com/ca...roducts_id=325