Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Help me pick a suspension!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005 | 01:51 PM
Enron Exec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me pick a suspension!

Hi all,

I was wondering if the suspension guru's here could help me out on what aftermarket parts would they recommend for my setup.

Currently im looking for something that will decrease body roll in mid cornering. I also would like something to help me launch on the drag strip without wheel hop. Right now, if the strip sprays the stick VHT, i will wheel hop all through 1st and 2nd gear. Overall, id like the car to ride maybe 10-30%% stiffer and with much more dampaning in the shocks to keep the car from being so bouncy. More dampening the better IMO.

Im looking at wheels, tires, strut bars, springs/shocks, and coilovers. The whole package deal. Ive read that coilovers change the feel of the suspension. Can anyone elaborate?

My current setup is on stock springs/shocks, wheels wearing Nitto 555R 245/40-18 front and 255/45-18 rear. I have the Ingen SES so will i need special strut bars in the rear? I also have the APS TT, will i need a special strut in the front?
Old 10-11-2005 | 02:12 PM
sp1derm00

Originally Posted by Enron Exec
Hi all,

I was wondering if the suspension guru's here could help me out on what aftermarket parts would they recommend for my setup.

Currently im looking for something that will decrease body roll in mid cornering. I also would like something to help me launch on the drag strip without wheel hop. Right now, if the strip sprays the stick VHT, i will wheel hop all through 1st and 2nd gear. Overall, id like the car to ride maybe 10-30%% stiffer and with much more dampaning in the shocks to keep the car from being so bouncy. More dampening the better IMO.

Im looking at wheels, tires, strut bars, springs/shocks, and coilovers. The whole package deal. Ive read that coilovers change the feel of the suspension. Can anyone elaborate?

My current setup is on stock springs/shocks, wheels wearing Nitto 555R 245/40-18 front and 255/45-18 rear. I have the Ingen SES so will i need special strut bars in the rear? I also have the APS TT, will i need a special strut in the front?
I had the Tein Basics and currently have the HKS Hipermax II's

The basics are very good for the money, pretty stiff and comfortable for daily driving. Cant adjust dampening though...

Now I run the HKS Hipermax II's and I think they are perfect for me: Pretty comfortable at low settings... VERY sporty at the mid settings.... uncomfortably sporty at the higher/highest settings.

The Hipermax II's might be what ur looking for. It has 30 way (although i counted 36 clicks) dampening so it is VERY adjustable...
Old 10-11-2005 | 07:05 PM
JJ19

have you heard of the nismo scca race springs? drops car 1" all around and supposedly has high spring rates... never heard of anyone with these springs but i still might be willing to give them a try. im goin to find out if they match up well with nismo dampers, but if not i might go with koni adjustables.
Old 10-11-2005 | 07:39 PM
palepony

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

JJ - neither the off the shelf koni's or nismo s-tune shocks can handle the spring rates of the nismo scca springs. you will need revalved koni's or other shock to mate with those springs.

enron - you're goals having cornering performance and drag performance are at odds with each other. for the best in either one, you will sacrifice the other. what is more important to you, handling or launch? or do you want something inbetween?

also by "strut bar" did you mean sway bar?

pp

Last edited by palepony; 10-11-2005 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-12-2005 | 05:47 AM
C Ray Z

Default I have T2 Springs

I have SCCA T2 springs on my car and love the handeling on the track. Around town it is stiff and you feel the filled in pot holes but it is tolerable. Freeway driving has been fine.

I also have Koni SA "Yellow" shocks in combination with 350EVO arms and sway bars.

See and expanded post in Autox/Track section "Serious Track Setup"
Old 10-12-2005 | 03:25 PM
palepony

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

c ray

do you feel that the off-the-shelf koni's have enough damping for the nismo T2's? if so, c-ray and JJ, i stand corrected by someone who actually owns this setup.

there are also the revalved TCKline koni's that apparently can handle rates upwards of 800lb/in.

pp
Old 10-12-2005 | 03:59 PM
C Ray Z

I believe JasonH raced T2 using SCCA T2 springs and SA Konis. I am no expert but fell the shocks are handeling the T2 rates. I like the lack of body rool and great balance I have on the track. I am sure the DA give a more precise compression adjustment.
Old 10-13-2005 | 11:54 AM
Enron Exec

Ohh yea, i ment sway bars. Thanks for clearing that up.

Yes, i would rather have greater handling and control over a suspention that improoves launching.

Originally Posted by palepony
JJ - neither the off the shelf koni's or nismo s-tune shocks can handle the spring rates of the nismo scca springs. you will need revalved koni's or other shock to mate with those springs.

enron - you're goals having cornering performance and drag performance are at odds with each other. for the best in either one, you will sacrifice the other. what is more important to you, handling or launch? or do you want something inbetween?

also by "strut bar" did you mean sway bar?

pp
Old 10-13-2005 | 11:59 AM
Enron Exec

Originally Posted by C Ray Z
I have SCCA T2 springs on my car and love the handeling on the track. Around town it is stiff and you feel the filled in pot holes but it is tolerable. Freeway driving has been fine.

I also have Koni SA "Yellow" shocks in combination with 350EVO arms and sway bars.

See and expanded post in Autox/Track section "Serious Track Setup"
Thats too harsh of a setup for my tastes. Im in Houston and there is ALOT of road to cover just to get to work or grab a bite to eat. And most of those roads suck. Im looking for around 30% stiffer springs at most, progressives would be nice. What i really would like to know are what are some good quality shocks that can work in concert with some springs and are well dampered.
Old 10-13-2005 | 12:25 PM
350Zteve

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would consider the KW Variant 3. I know a lot of people that track with those and they love them. You can also change out the springs to suit your tastes.

Swaybars, I would go with Hotchkis.

Originally Posted by Enron Exec
Hi all,

Old 10-13-2005 | 12:32 PM
thawk408

Originally Posted by 350Zteve
I would consider the KW Variant 3. I know a lot of people that track with those and they love them. You can also change out the springs to suit your tastes.

Swaybars, I would go with Hotchkis.
I have not used the KW Vairant 3, but have heard that they are a very well designed coilover and you can replace the the springs to your liking. I belive they are progressive, so it will give you are more comfortable ride. According to their specs and your needs, it sounds like a very nice option.