Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Hotchkis TVS

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 01:54 AM
jhp1025

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hotchkis TVS

It appears to me that alot of people that are using the Hotchkis are 2003 and early 2004 Z's. I have a 2005 Z and I know the suspension is a little stiffer than the earlier models.

I like what the TVS system has to offer, but do not want to reduce the spring rate in the back that much as I have heard that may cause bounciness.

Is there another spring that has a similar drop with spring rates closer to the stock 2005 rates?

My other alternative is to go with Tein Basics and sways.

THANX
Old 11-20-2005, 06:25 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jhp1025
It appears to me that alot of people that are using the Hotchkis are 2003 and early 2004 Z's. I have a 2005 Z and I know the suspension is a little stiffer than the earlier models.

I like what the TVS system has to offer, but do not want to reduce the spring rate in the back that much as I have heard that may cause bounciness.

Is there another spring that has a similar drop with spring rates closer to the stock 2005 rates?

My other alternative is to go with Tein Basics and sways.
THANX
2004.5+ shocks are actually softer then the earlier cars. The 03/04 shocks feature a very high amount of compression dampning that is simply not present on the 04.5+ shocks. BUT,........ along with the 03/04 shocks greater compression dampning, they lack the proper amount of rebound control, hence the reason for the bounce issues those suspension's have. The 04.5+ shocks have vastly superior bounce control, but less compression dampning does give the car a less lively feel.

The lower rear rate on the Hotchkis springs is the direct result of specific R&D where Hotchkis found that the 03/04 rear shocks were especially lacking in rebound control. Less spring in the rear ment that the rear shocks had suffecient dampning to help lesson bounce during cornering and theirby show improvements.

Here is an email from John Whatley of Hotchkis:
quote:

"There is no error on the spring ratings. The rear spring is in fact softer than the stock. The reasoning behind this is that: during testing we found that the rear end likes to bounce under hard cornering. By reducing the spring rate in the rear we were able to get more MPH in slalom testing and stopped the bouncing that occurred. These springs in conjunction with our swaybars will be matched with each other to provide a neutral feel under hard cornering."

Even in the absense of the quote above I can tell you that when shock is showing sign's of lot having enough rebound control and is allowing bounce that lowering the spring rate bring said shock closer to it's allowable control range. So, less spring does NOT cause more bounce the reverse is true.

"Is there another spring that has a similar drop with spring rates closer to the stock 2005 rates?"

Yes, RSR downspring. .6"/.6" 345lbs/417lbs

However, you may find that the Hotckis springs lower rear rates may afford you greater traction coming out of the hole. And less sensitivity on the whole regarding the throttle.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:29 AM
jhp1025

Thanx Gsedan

I still am debating. Yet other options have come up.

HKS Hipermax RS. I read a lot of good things, and am told that if I get these coilovers, I will not need to upgrade sways. I only want to improve the appearance with a drop of 1" and want to mantain a comfortable ride.

I am leaning towards the Coilovers. Either Tein Basics or HKS Hipermax RS.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:47 AM
dnguyent

I have the hotchkis springs and an '04 Z. I can attest that the lower spring rate in the rear has vastly mitigated the bounciness over concrete pavement. If the '05 and '06 models have the softer springs, then it IS an improvement.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:08 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jhp1025
Thanx Gsedan

I still am debating. Yet other options have come up.

HKS Hipermax RS. I read a lot of good things, and am told that if I get these coilovers, I will not need to upgrade sways. I only want to improve the appearance with a drop of 1" and want to mantain a comfortable ride.

I am leaning towards the Coilovers. Either Tein Basics or HKS Hipermax RS.
Based on what you want I would remove the Basics from your list and consider the Tein CS in it's place. The RS is still a good choice, though in term's of wanting comfort the CS is even more geared towards delivering this in terms of spring rates and valving which is the very thing that would cause the Basic to drop out of the running in your case.