Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 11:56 AM
Auto RnD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zeal Function X and Xs Introduction

Hello everyone,

This is Auto RnD

We would like to introduce to the MY350Z Forums the new Zeal Coilovers Lineup
The V6 have been discontinued and in its place is something even better.

The FUNCTION X

For the next generation hard user, we’ve developed the Function-X Series. The Function-X is now born. With advanced damping capabilities in effect, our efforts have recently focused towards our new “X-Coil Hyper Spring”. Through consistent and progressive research and experience, we’ve improved spring quality to achieve an even smoother and more responsive feel and ride. The ability to grasp precise road data has improved. The X-Coil spring achieves exactly this. Our Dynamometer Data proves this with stable rebound and compression levels (within a 0.1 Meter Per Second range) for level travel at very low speeds, very high speeds, and everything in between. By keeping very detailed, precision spring motion in mind, we are able to set the shock’s piston valving to superior levels. The combination of the shock and spring is superior. Our Linear Spring Motion with no Friction Loss is superior and the shock can be adjusted very precisely (Function-X includes 30-Way Damping Adjustability), thus the setting levels have broadened and can be fine-tuned with advanced precision and feel. Lightweight aluminum upper mounts, spring seat preload and spring seat locks, height-adjustable lower brackets and lock seats (for non-strut type applications) include a durable, Alumite finish for rust proof characteristics. Steel shell casing includes a special chromate plating for rust proof characteristics also. Adjustable brackets are newly designed and slender. Driving feel is amazing for the hard-user. MacPherson Strut-Type systems are specifically produced as an inverted-monotube type.

Quick Details
Geared Towards Track
30 Way Adjustable
Full Monotube Coilover
Independent Height and Preload Adjustment
Inverted Rear for easy shock adjustment
Spring Rates 12/10 kg
Custom Rates are available (no extra fee)

The FUNCTION XS

For the next generation street user, we’ve developed the Function-Xs Series. The Function-Xs is now born. With advanced damping capabilities in effect, our efforts have recently focused towards our new “X-Coil Hyper Spring”. Through consistent and progressive research and experience, we’ve improved spring quality to achieve an even smoother and more responsive feel and ride. The ability to grasp precise road data has improved. The X- Coil spring achieves exactly this. Our Dynamometer Data proves this with stable rebound and compression levels (within a 0.1 Meter Per Second range) for level travel at very low speeds, very high speeds, and everything in between. By keeping very detailed, precision spring motion in mind, we are able to set the shock’s piston valving to superior levels. The combination of the shock and spring is superior. Our Linear Spring Motion with no Friction Loss is superior and the shock can be adjusted precisely (Function-Xs includes 6-Way Damping Adjustability). Lightweight aluminum upper mounts, spring seat preload and spring seat lock, height-adjustable lower brackets and lock seats (for non-strut type applications) include a durable, Alumite finish for rust proof characteristics. Steel shell casing includes a special chromate plating for rust proof characteristics also. Adjustable brackets are newly designed and slender. Driving feel is amazing for the street-user. MacPherson Strut-Type are specifically systems are produced as an inverted-monotube type.

Quick Details
Geared Towards Street
6 Way Adjustable
Full Monotube Coilover
Independent Height and Preload Adjustment
Inverted Rear for easy shock adjustment
Spring Rates 10/8 kg

To Purchase These Coilovers Take a Look at the Suspension Section in the Vendor Marketplace
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172199

Last edited by Auto RnD; 02-16-2006 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:00 PM
Auto RnD

I personally run the Function XS Coilovers. My car is lowered quite a bit approx 2 inches and rides just as good if not better than stock. The damping is very good that it doesnt oscillate like stock on the freeway. Also another plus is that it makes the vehicle handle very flat. At this time i don't feel the need for an aftermarket sway bar. If you would like a test ride in this just let me know. I'll be glad to help anyone with their coilover decisions out.

A Very Huge Plus about these coilovers is the rear's are inverted. What that means is that the shock adjustment is actually on the bottom of the coilover. I had big worries about purchasing other coilovers because it would mean i would have to cut away at my precious interior. Save yourself the time and take a look at the zeals

Zeals are REBUILT in the usa. They offer Great customer service. Rebuilds and warranty work can be done in as short as 1 week upon reciept of coilovers.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:06 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

spring rates?
Old 02-16-2006, 01:19 PM
Auto RnD

spring rates for Xs = 10/8
Spring rates for X = 12/10 or You can go custom at no extra charge and they will get revalved for that spring rate as well
Old 02-16-2006, 01:56 PM
RIMSENsei

I got the Function X 30 ways on my RX8. All I can say is dope. They are soo nice. RX8 has a simiilar issue with gaining access to the damping adj ****. The Zeals I got have a "flex" tube that relocates the adjuster in my trunk for easy access. SUPER DOPe.

X coil spring technology is super awesome. I'll see if I can find a jpg of the spring dyno.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:48 PM
dklau33

I'm assuming the rear springs are on the rear damper body and not on the OEM location?
Old 02-16-2006, 09:18 PM
Auto RnD

The rear spring is in the oem location. Zeal did numerous tests and different setups when they did the research before the z33 came out and they came to the conclusion that the stock setup was best for their coilovers. Unlike other companies that just make coilovers to fit the 350z/G zeal actually did real world driving as well as tracking their coilovers. With enough research they came up with this setup of inverted rears and those spring rates.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:48 AM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, for more than $3k I would have expected some level of double adj. That's pretty steep pricing. I know Zeal is a good product, but it seems short on features for the price.
Will
Old 02-17-2006, 08:13 AM
ActionJackson

No mention yet of an electronic dampening controller from Zeal? I'd rather get the Tanabe Sustect Pro-7 w/TEAS for these prices.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:45 AM
NiSmO D1X

Damn, its nice but its a lot of money. Looks like I need to start saving.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:14 AM
Auto RnD

Resolute are you speaking of double adjustable damping? that is available but at a much steeper price. Zeal at this point is still in the works on an electronic damper. Although it will primarily be used for track model coilovers. One of the main features of zeals that is hard to beat is that they are readily servicable in the US. Customer support is amazing. Also 3000 Msrp for the XS but if you take a look at https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172199 then you can see that they are actually very competitive with other coilovers. Zeal isnt very fond of gimmicks. They make products that are race proven from the track and taken to the street. These same coils once were used on the JGTC Endless 350z Before they started Prototyping the Function XR Double Adjust. If you feel that zeal's are overpriced for what they are. Then i would like to call a comparison in terms of ride quality and overall balance versus other similarly equipped vehicles with other name brand vehicles.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:30 AM
Resolute

You said Zeal is working on a double adj coi-over, or is currently avail? I would be interseted if so.
Will
Old 02-17-2006, 12:03 PM
Auto RnD

They are currently in the prototyping stage and this is officially a Track ONLY coilover. No msrp pricing has yet been released but expect the coilover to be in the 4000 + range.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:20 PM
Resolute

Hmm... for that price I could go with JRZ's. For the price of the Function X I could go with TC Kline Koni's. I'll keep my eyes out for this Zeal option in the future, a set of their double adj super function R's, or whatever they're called, would be nice if priced competitively. Shoot, even Teins have double adjustable coil-overs for less than $3000, Advance Design does too, just not for the Z yet. please let us know what comes of this new kit in development. thanks for your quick responses btw,
Will
Old 02-17-2006, 01:44 PM
Auto RnD

I have yet to test those coilovers out. But most people out there currently do not have a need for that much adjustment. Zeals have a wide variety of coilovers to choose from.

The X is designed for the weekend warrior who takes his car to track. Although there is only 1 available adjustment available for the coilover. It does adjust rebound and damping unlike koni yellows. This is a very good setup that is very forgiving on the track. I've had evo guys run this coilover. And they were able to stay near the front of the pack even though they were still novice drivers. I am not saying this will make you the best driver. But having a good suspension is definitely a great starting point.

The Xs in my honest opinion is probobally one of the best all around coilovers on the market. I can take daily driving with little less than a hiccup and it can still be used on the track.

Remember spring rates are not everything in terms of handling and ride comfort. How the coilover is valved to each spring is what makes the most difference.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:14 AM
dklau33

Can OEM ride height be kept with these coilovers? Or better yet do you know what the range of height adjustabilty is for both of these coilovers compared to OEM height? I just might have to stop by the shop and take you up on the offer of a test ride.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:14 AM
dklau33

Oops.. double post.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:13 PM
roncfpz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would love to see an electonic damping force contoller with these new products. Zeal has an excellent reputation for quality coilovers. I for one don't see the electronic controller as a gimmick.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:55 PM
Auto RnD

dklau33. Most coilovers on the market do not retain factory height. Due to shorter stroke of the shock. i believe the range is approx 3/4 inch from factory to about 3 inches. Just let us know if you want to take a spin.

As for the electronic controller they have been in the works since late of 05. As of right now i am uncertain as to which coilover they will be available for.