For street driving any BBK will do. Basically overkill
Old 04-18-2006, 05:58 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rickdogg
For street driving any BBK will do. Basically overkill
he goes for the look. Just like me. hehehe

BTW, out of those 23 voted for ST, how many of them ACTUALLY own the ST?
Old 04-18-2006, 06:08 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't vote since I mentioned he can go with any BBK for daily driving.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:51 PM
350Zteve

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Navygolf13
You should try the AP's, they are way better.
Based on what data?
Old 04-18-2006, 08:55 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I just got done researching BBK setups. This is what I found
Brembo > AP > Stoptech > Rotora
IMO, the brembo are in a class of their own because of their superior rotors. The AP and Stoptechs are kind of a high second teir. Out of the two, I would probably choose the APs. That said, AP setups are inconsistent with the rotors that are included with the kits. I found they sourced rotors from roughly 3 different manufactures with some being good, and others not so good. When and if you order a set of APs, make sure you find out specifically what rotors are shipping with the kit.

Stoptechs are a great setup and can offer great bang for the buck. The rotoras are kind of the base/bargain setup that one would look at that wants the looks but doesn't need the best performance and doesn't want to spend the big dollars.

Also, the 8 pot vs 6 pot vs 4 pot doesn't mean as much as the manufactures would like you to believe. All setups are going to have the same clamping force, but the difference will come down to modulation - I am not going to try to define that as I would have a hard time trying to in this post. Some will lead you to believe that with the 6 and 8 pot setups, they can handle heat better. Sometimes that is the case, but for the most part, there are numerous other factors that play a bigger part in that than the number of pistons in the caliper - pad height, cross drilled/slotted, type of pad, rotor size etc.

I think as most stated, any of the available kits are going to be overkill for the majority of Z owners - including myself. So set a budget and find a kit within that budget that you feel is the best.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:01 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

The rotoras are kind of the base/bargain setup that one would look at that wants the looks but doesn't need the best performance
any fact to back this up?

Seriously, 30 votes for ST. Do you really own ST or just FEEL like they are better? lolz.. DON"T VOTE if you don't even own any BBK. Geez.

Last edited by Bubble; 04-18-2006 at 09:05 PM.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:08 PM
Zivman

Originally Posted by Bubble
any fact to back this up?
Any facts to dispute it? I talked with a couple reps and with owners of kits. All basically said the same thing in regards to Rotora. This is not a rip on the kit, as I am sure it would handle anything I would throw at it, just that I feel the brembo, AP, and stoptech are better kits. For the most part all the kits are going to provide relatively similar clamping forces. I personally choose brembo for three reasons:
1.) from the research I did, I found brembo to have the highest quality rotors of ANY brand. I felt the calipers of nearly every kit on the market to be similar enough that the rotors set one kit apart from the others
2.) pad height. This may not be 100% true, and I may be stating it incorrectly, but the brembo caliper/pad setup grabs further out from the center of the rotor which is benefical - I believe for both stopping distance and heat dissipation
3.) I was able to get them comparably priced to the other kits on the market and I didn't have to wait a month for them like stoptechs. Mine are in transit to me as I type this. they shipped within 36 hrs and will be at my door on Thursday.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:13 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

i'm not dispute with Brembo or AP. But between ST and Rotora, there is no proven fact that one is better than the other.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:52 PM
whiteg35c2

I'm actually interested in this debate too, who actually owns these kits!?

Personal additions:

* In terms of technology, Stoptech gives you the good bang for your buck. Full two-piece floating rotor tech, well distributed 4-pot calipers and a variety of pads to choose from (where the real stopping happens =P)

*AP is two-piece, but floating rotor will run you an extra 2k, plus I believe them when they say you should ONLY use their particular floating rotor tech if you track.

*Brembo, eh they have a great name but I haven't really seen too much, I like how someone finally put an opinion on it, but I still haven't seen enough exposure, plus they dont even have a rear bbk solution for my car (G35 coupe) which honestly doesn't matter since ~75+% of braking is up front anyway.

*Project Mu, JDM Bling, but they are only in Emerald Green

*Endless, also JDM Bling. They want the track market and not the enthusiasts. You can take what message you want from that. Fronts are near the cost of an entire Rotora setup.

Personally, I would like to try the Brembos or Endless just to find out for sure what is really going on with them. Does anyone have any personal, brutally hoenst experience on these brake companies. Enquiring minds want to know!
Old 04-18-2006, 10:46 PM
lex350

Default Yes

As I expected, this is turning into a great thread and is really helping me with the purchase. The only reason I have considered Rotora is because there priced good and they have a nice look with the drilled/slotted rotors. Truth is I’m pretty sure I’m not going to buy them. The only thing catching my eye is the 6 pot front calipers. But I know 4 pot would be just as good.

I’ve heard nothing but good reviews about Stoptech BBK. I think they look great. The only other type I think also looks great are the Brembo BBK but there too expensive and I don’t even know if they make a rear kit for the 350z. I’m sure they do.

You guys have been nothing but a lot of help. Thanks a lot, really.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:51 PM
VN_350z
Banned

my vote go to BREMBO 14inch BBK. I have them on for 1 year now...no problem...no squeak and brake pedal feel really great
Old 04-18-2006, 10:53 PM
lex350

Originally Posted by VN_350z
my vote go to BREMBO 14inch BBK. I have them on for 1 year now...no problem...no squeak and brake pedal feel really great
What about the rears, stock?
Old 04-19-2006, 04:55 AM
Zivman

Originally Posted by lex350
What about the rears, stock?

Brembo designed their kits to work with the oem rears. The 13" to be paired with the non brembos and teh 14" to be paired with the oem brembo rears. I am in the process of tracking down a set of oem rear brembo calipers. Brembo has the lines and the rotors you need for the rears, you just need oem brembo calipers
Old 04-19-2006, 09:22 AM
lex350

Well guys I now have my BBK set on order. I decided to order the stoptech 14" kit 4 wheel with drilled rotors and Yellow calipers. I have to wait a month now so when I get everything in I'll take some pictures.

Thanks
Old 04-19-2006, 09:23 AM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Congrats! I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:35 AM
lex350

Yep, thanks to you I went with the yellow. Thanks again GTNPU Z
Old 04-19-2006, 09:44 AM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Yep, thanks to you I went with the yellow. Thanks again GTNPU Z
Old 04-19-2006, 10:56 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Well guys I now have my BBK set on order. I decided to order the stoptech 14" kit 4 wheel with drilled rotors and Yellow calipers. I have to wait a month now so when I get everything in I'll take some pictures.

Thanks
Yours will be in right after mine. I ordered the same kit last Wednesday, in red. Did you go with the 355 X 32mm or the 355 x 35mm?
Old 04-19-2006, 11:35 AM
lex350

Originally Posted by vo7848
Yours will be in right after mine. I ordered the same kit last Wednesday, in red. Did you go with the 355 X 32mm or the 355 x 35mm?
Thats a good question. I think I'm getting the 355 x 32mm. I will know for sure when I get my invoice. And I'm going to be getting mine before yours. I paid extra so I could be in front of you. There just taking your kit and painting it yellow for me. lol
Old 04-19-2006, 05:15 PM
amG35

Zivman, where would the Wilwood BBK fall in this hierarchy? I am considering the Rotora, Stoptech, and Wilwood BBK's for my G. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Zivman
I just got done researching BBK setups. This is what I found
Brembo > AP > Stoptech > Rotora
IMO, the brembo are in a class of their own because of their superior rotors. The AP and Stoptechs are kind of a high second teir. Out of the two, I would probably choose the APs. That said, AP setups are inconsistent with the rotors that are included with the kits. I found they sourced rotors from roughly 3 different manufactures with some being good, and others not so good. When and if you order a set of APs, make sure you find out specifically what rotors are shipping with the kit.

Stoptechs are a great setup and can offer great bang for the buck. The rotoras are kind of the base/bargain setup that one would look at that wants the looks but doesn't need the best performance and doesn't want to spend the big dollars.

Also, the 8 pot vs 6 pot vs 4 pot doesn't mean as much as the manufactures would like you to believe. All setups are going to have the same clamping force, but the difference will come down to modulation - I am not going to try to define that as I would have a hard time trying to in this post. Some will lead you to believe that with the 6 and 8 pot setups, they can handle heat better. Sometimes that is the case, but for the most part, there are numerous other factors that play a bigger part in that than the number of pistons in the caliper - pad height, cross drilled/slotted, type of pad, rotor size etc.

I think as most stated, any of the available kits are going to be overkill for the majority of Z owners - including myself. So set a budget and find a kit within that budget that you feel is the best.

Quick Reply: Stoptech BBK