Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Cusco Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 10:37 PM
Pilot_Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cusco Coilovers

Not much (if anything at all) has been said about Cusco Coilovers.

They're probably not the best, but I will be spending most of the money under the hood (FI).

I was thinking down the line I woud do a Cusco package: A-Arms, sway bars, & coilovers...any comments...

Thanks

BTW-
My driving will be for the occasional weekend at the track & more often some spirited driving on windey mountain roads....
Old 04-29-2006, 06:18 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ya know I used to hammer their coilovers because of how much softer they run the rear spring rates vs the front. Long story short, I actually went out and tested different front to rear rate combo's and let's just say I no longer speak out against the idea, actually prefering a simular front spring rate biased setup in end. That being said, IIRC they offer two different upper mount system's. I would opt for the more forgiving non pillowball setup. And we do have a member here that went from Zero2's to the HKS RS system, he is on record that he does like the RS much better. Though I do not know if his unhappiness with the Zero2's was because of issue's with the pillowball upper mounts or because he really feels that the RS setup is better because of it's valving. Here's a link to send Adam a pm and ask him his thoughts, maybe you can just ask him to post them in the thread (I"d actually like that). https://my350z.com/forum/member.php?...oster&t=186440

Cusco Zero 1&2 Full-length adjustment and height adjustment for separate setting of the height and spring preload
Zero 1 has non adjustable dampning
Zero 2 has adjustable dampning
Spring rates 560/392
Stiffer then oem by F+78% R+15% (04.5+ oem setups use stiffer rear oem rates then 03/04 car's do)

HKS RS (Monotube construction, adjustable dampning)
Spring rates 448/448
Stiffer then oem by F+43% R+31% (04.5+ oem setups use stiffer rear oem rates then 03/04 car's do)
Special Note: “Marketed” as HKS’s track coil over with a good street ride.
$1600 when on sale Owner review's have a simular flavor as the Zeal coilover's below, they are very will liked.

As you can see they are priced about the same. The Cusco does have one advantage over the RS setup and that's the ability to set the preload to ideal and adjust ride height seperately.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:06 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I ran the Zero2 for awhile in my car, and we have several customers (some on the board, some not) who run both Zero 2 and Zero 2 Titaniums (same unit, just one has Ti casings).

The Cusco's were a very nice coilover overall. When I first ran them, I had T1S, which helped to contribute to the cars nice overall driving on our NY roads. Once I changed over to S03's, I felt everything in the road a bit more. Swapping to a slightly softer spring rate would have helped, but I never got around to doing it.

I did switch to the HKS RS as mentioned. Overall I found them to be a bit more compliant for day to day NY driving, and they have a wider adjustment range. The Cusco's did handle better overall however, so it's really a users choice. I had issues with the rear pillowballs on the Cusco's being a bit noisy. They offer a reinforced rubber upper mount which I swapped to, and now include with all Cusco coilovers offered through us for the Z. Since the Z cannot adust camber via the upper mount anyway, I don't see the pillowball version being worth it, and would recommend opting for the reinforced rubber upper mount (costs a bit less as well).

What G350sedan mentions about the rideheight is important - that is a good advantage the Cusco has over the HKS. Becomes more important the lower you go.

Cusco a arms = the goodness. Love them
Old 04-29-2006, 03:07 PM
Pilot_Z

....Thanks for your contributions....

...I might go with the Cusco route.....Z1, I' give you a call when I am ready (still need to boost first).
Old 05-19-2006, 03:43 AM
Lawn Dart

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is it worth paying the extra money for the Zero-2 over the Zero-1? Basically you just gain the ability to control 5 settings of dampening? Plus, although its probably expensive, you can always upgrade, right?
Old 05-19-2006, 03:50 AM
TruBluZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was wondering this very same thing! Thanks guys
Old 05-21-2006, 08:34 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well right now it's a $479 difference in price between Zero1's and Zero2's. What I don't know is if the 2's at that price have the pillowball upper mounts or the same rubber mounts. IIRC, you can get the damper assemblies separate. But, I doubt you'd be able to even buy two of them for $479. IMO I would say it's worth the difference to get the adjustable dampning.

http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...ing&prodid=517
Old 05-22-2006, 08:04 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

upgrading the dampers at a later date would make no sense unfortunately - it is less expensive to buy the adjustable ones from the outset

All Cusco coilovers are offered with reinforced rubber upper mounts or pillowballs. Because the Z has no camber adjustment at the upper shock mount anyway, unless you have an all out race car, the pillowballs are frankly a waste IMHO
Old 05-22-2006, 12:58 PM
dklau33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Z1 from reading specs on another retailers sight I am under the impression that the Zero 2's can maintain stock 350Z ride height. Can you confirm or deny this? This is the specs I got.

350z: (Front: -30~0mm; Rear: -25~0mm)
Old 05-22-2006, 01:25 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

I dont know of any coilover that actually can get you back to stock height - everyone I have seen for the Z is around a 25mm drop at their highest setting
Old 06-12-2006, 12:48 PM
3five0_GT

Z1, how was the bounce between the zero2 and RS?
I live in california and looking at getting the RS for day to day driving and a little track use.

Are the spring rates included with the Cusco's too harsh?