Old 05-31-2006, 02:27 PM
eat rice z33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Uhh no..
Old 05-31-2006, 02:29 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well depending on how low you plan on dropping it, you may want to consider some camber arms if it is more than 1".
Old 05-31-2006, 08:25 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The man with the plan.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:41 PM
raceit

RadioMan,
It looks like you're on a mission. There is so much that can be said on handling and suspension, more than what you listed but I'll just suggest looking at the Hotchkis sway bars. They are 3 way adjustable front and rear.
If you're planning to track the car, it would be worth it to understand how each of your suspension and handling mods affect the car dynamics. Not sure how much of that you want to hear...
Old 05-31-2006, 08:50 PM
shezzzhot
Abzolutely Zexy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do the sways!! Hotchkis are the best!! I love mine... I'd suggest the one stage: springs and sways....cheaper in the long run.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:54 AM
shezzzhot
Abzolutely Zexy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RadioManJ350Z33
Thank you for the quality input. I always appreciate QUALITY advice.

I want a suspension that is majority responsive for Track use

Currently I feel as if the 350Z suspension is reactive.

I feel that the appropriate Coil over, sway bar, urethane and other misc links will make the suspension responsive and in control.

yes track duty is in the future...

Searching now for a well maintained / previously owned 540i sport for daily use.

Track is the main reason I purchased my sways. You will notice the difference and appreciate the quality workmanship of Hotchkis.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:37 PM
steakpinoy

The stock suspension works fairly well IMHO. I rode shotgun in my friend's 2005 touring along the mountain backroads. The only handling upgrade he had at the time were very good tires (Toyo RA-1). I literally felt the G's (and leaned heavily from side to side) in the car during the turns. Imagine taking 25 mph hairpins at speeds more than twice that (around 60-70 mph). If you're going to use the Z mainly for the track, I would suggest focusing your budget on good tires, actual track time and experience, and then you can evaluate what future suspension options (such as coilovers, sway bars, camber/toe arms) you will need. Since everyone drives slightly different, your suspension needs may slightly differ as well.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:01 PM
Rampant

To be perfectly honest, I would wait on the upgrades until you start tracking the car. But, you should always start with tires, pure and simple. They make the biggest difference by far.

Then spend the $2k or so you would have on the coilovers and go to racing school. That will drop much more time than than the coilovers would.

Then, you will know what is needed next (depending on the tracks you run and regulations of the series you will run in, and how your car is handling).

But, if you really want to go straight for the track-car suspension, you shouldn't forget bushings (along with the above sways, camber arms, etc). Also a good racing seat seriously underrated (hard to control the car when you are sliding around) and you may think about a 5-point harness (just make sure you mount it properly, or it could crush your spine in an accident).

Other things to think about for a track car is a lightweight flywheel and a gear change (to help accelerate out of the corners).

And, if you go for long runs and your brakes start to fade, a BBK should be something to think about as well.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:46 AM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, the majority of coilovers available for the Z are "JDM" crap, masking poor shock valving with high spring rates. I've run the JICs on track for well over two years, and the dampening adjustment is trash compared to Knois that I've run in the past. If you really want to do things right, I'd suggest considering the TC Kline dampers with a set of springs. The TCKR dampers aren't shiny and full of bling like all the coilover units, but are valved specifically for T2 competition and have a wide variety of adjustment (both bound and rebound). To compliment them, you can find a spring equivalent to the T2 spring, both Hypercoil and Eibach should offer similar size / rates for the TC Kline application.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:12 AM
MoodDude

A free mod to get better handling is to lighten up the car. This will also improve acceleration and braking!
Start with removing the easy stuff then go crazy if you want.

Easy stuff:
Spare tire
Jack & tools
Floor mats
Trunk mat
Drain the windshield wiper fluid
Run with less gas - 1/4 to 1/2 tank
Remove the rear windshield wiper and motor
Remove the rear hatch weight (yes there is a usless weight under the plastic.)
All of these don't cost you any money and you WILL feel an improvement in handling!
There is more stuff to remove if you want to go crazy.
Old 06-10-2006, 07:17 PM
Axelerate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John
IMO, the majority of coilovers available for the Z are "JDM" crap, masking poor shock valving with high spring rates. I've run the JICs on track for well over two years, and the dampening adjustment is trash compared to Knois that I've run in the past. If you really want to do things right, I'd suggest considering the TC Kline dampers with a set of springs. The TCKR dampers aren't shiny and full of bling like all the coilover units, but are valved specifically for T2 competition and have a wide variety of adjustment (both bound and rebound). To compliment them, you can find a spring equivalent to the T2 spring, both Hypercoil and Eibach should offer similar size / rates for the TC Kline application.

I was leaning to this conclusion also, but I then I got the HKS RS coilovers. I had Koni/RSR and I thought those were great, until I got the HKS'.

The driveability is amazing and they are very liveable and never feel under dampered. The "30 way adjustment" is a bit much, and I can only feel changes in 5 click increments.

Havent been to VIR with them yet, but will be next month with NASA. Auto-x and a time trial on the Patriot course tells me that the stiffer front springs are helping alot with steering and reducing brake dive into corners. Even at full stiff they still feel great and I can tell immediatly what setting they are on, but it doesnt remind me of every bump and crack in the road like the Konis did. It feels like HKS did do some research and testing on the spring rates and valving, as they say they did in their adds.

I'm getting the car corner weighted soon and then I'm gonna do further testing, but now I trying to dial out the oversteer since I put in the Cusco diff and get used to the extra traction. Not that thats a bad thing.
Old 06-10-2006, 07:28 PM
Tekwon-V

more info on the TC Kline dampers?
Old 06-11-2006, 05:13 AM
MoodDude

If you are looking at spending money to improve handling your order of purchasing should be:
1. Tires
2. Lightweight wheels
3. A-Arms
4. Overcoils and sways
Still say that for the biggest improvement is to lighten up the car. It is far easier to turn a 2900# car than a 3400# car!!!
Old 06-11-2006, 06:09 AM
Nano

Unless you have the rays track 18", lightweight wheels are the first critical step imho. Either 18" or even 17", in the correct sizes for appropriate tires.

Quick Reply: I'm all about handling...