Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Poor Alignment Job???

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 07:23 PM
Endless Shock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Poor Alignment Job???

Can a poor alignment job cause the car to veer left or right on a straight away? Has anyone else experienced this problem?

My suspension, wheels and tires:
Cusco Zero 2's, SF Challenge's & BFG KDW NT 255:285/35/19 ... The front fender is 26" from the ground and the rear is 26.5" from the ground...

So I got an alignment on Monday... I drove the car and everything seems to be OK (at that time), I did take some back roads and city streets and nothing seemed out of the ordinary... Today I took I80, so there is long straight away... I couldnt hold my line with the steering wheels in its "center - zero degree position"... I keep veering to the right - I have to hold the steering wheel at like 11 o'clock to hold a straight line ... Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance...
Old 07-05-2006, 07:34 PM
techcontrol

How much road crown does this road have? Is it just this particular road or have you tried others. Yes, the algnment could be jacked, or less likely is the alignment guy tried to over compensate for the road crown. Try to find the most level road you can and repeat the proceedure you've decribed. If the car veers hard on center than take it back to the shop. What did the alignment printout say BTW?
Old 07-05-2006, 07:52 PM
Endless Shock

I have tried other roads and I get the same results... Im not sure how much crown these roads I have taken the car on have but I do not remeber holding the steering wheel in that position before... Argh!!! I dont have the print out anymore since I was in a rush to get out of there (only after I paid them - I didnt rush them while they were working on my care to get it done faster)... I dont remember the front but I think my Rears where as follows:

RL Cam=1.8
Toe=0.03
RR Cam=1.9
Toe=0.02

I guess this information is pretty useless since I need the fronts... It looks like I will be going to the shop and have them redo the job

I appreciate the response...

Anyone else care to to comment?
Old 07-05-2006, 09:58 PM
plastiketa

Check this link:

http://www.350zmotoring.com/modules....index&name=TSB

Towards the bottom is the TSB for drifting to the right.

My car does the same thing, but I changed my suspension to coilovers and I think the dealer will try to turn me away because of this.

Good Luck!

Last edited by plastiketa; 07-05-2006 at 10:09 PM.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:53 PM
Endless Shock

Originally Posted by plastiketa
Check this link:

http://www.350zmotoring.com/modules....index&name=TSB

Towards the bottom is the TSB for drifting to the right.

My car does the same thing, but I changed my suspension to coilovers and I think the dealer will try to turn me away because of this.

Good Luck!
Crap!!! I just put my coilovers on too... This started after the alignment was done ... Im taking it back in tomorrow morning before I go to work...

Thanks for the respose...
Old 07-06-2006, 03:57 AM
Nano

Originally Posted by Endless Shock
Can a poor alignment job cause the car to veer left or right on a straight away? Has anyone else experienced this problem?

My suspension, wheels and tires:
Cusco Zero 2's, SF Challenge's & BFG KDW NT 255:285/35/19 ... The front fender is 26" from the ground and the rear is 26.5" from the ground...

So I got an alignment on Monday... I drove the car and everything seems to be OK (at that time), I did take some back roads and city streets and nothing seemed out of the ordinary... Today I took I80, so there is long straight away... I couldnt hold my line with the steering wheels in its "center - zero degree position"... I keep veering to the right - I have to hold the steering wheel at like 11 o'clock to hold a straight line ... Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance...
UNless the car was in a previous accident, it's probably an alignment issue.

check for the ride height on both Left-Right sides to make sure everything is seating and settled properly. (fender to ground)

Last edited by Nano; 07-06-2006 at 06:26 AM.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:36 PM
Endless Shock

Well thanks to everyone for their input... Everything is working as it should again... It seems it was the tech's fault (which he freely admitted)... My baby drives like a dream again...

Oh yeah, looking at the sheet earlier in the day - with the drop that I have (see first post) all but one thing is within spec and that would be my front camber... Something I already expected so its not such a big deal...