Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Taking off brakes for painting

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 12:26 AM
Z4Zoro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking off brakes for painting

How difficult is it to remove the caliber? Not the entire caliber but just the part facing out. I would like to remove this, sand it down and paint them black. Most cars have a few bolts to remove and the the part will slip right out.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:35 AM
Kolia

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need a good impact driver to loosen the screws at the back. They're thighten to 114 ft.lb.

Make sure you plug the fluid lines or be prepared for a difficult bleeding of the system.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:09 AM
Z4Zoro

Originally Posted by Kolia
You need a good impact driver to loosen the screws at the back. They're thighten to 114 ft.lb.

Make sure you plug the fluid lines or be prepared for a difficult bleeding of the system.
In most cars you do not have the plug the lines. I just want the front part off.
On alot of cars the front of the caliber will slip right off after loosening a few bolts. That part has no brake line connected, I shouldnt have to worry about bleeding lines. Unless this car is different and I have to take the entire caliber off.

I guess the only way to know is to take off the wheel I try.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:14 AM
E K

Are you talking about stock brakes? The caliper does have a brake line attaches to it. How else would the brakes function?

You don't have to disconnect the brake lines if you just want to take the caliper off the assemby to paint it. But it'll still be connected to the car with the brake line.

How are you planning to paint it? Spray paint, brush paint, or something else?
Old 07-15-2006, 10:17 AM
VN_350z
Banned

dont separate the brakeline from caliper...you'll have to flush the air..which is a b!tch. THere's a thread in here which someone shows how to paint it w/o removing the brake line.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:27 AM
Z4Zoro

Originally Posted by E K
Are you talking about stock brakes? The caliper does have a brake line attaches to it. How else would the brakes function?

You don't have to disconnect the brake lines if you just want to take the caliper off the assemby to paint it. But it'll still be connected to the car with the brake line.

How are you planning to paint it? Spray paint, brush paint, or something else?
I use a brush with the dupli-color caliper kit. I have did it many times. Not sure how the Z works. On my past car the outer part of the caliper was able to come off without taking the entire caliper off. I cleaned it, sanded it smooth, and used the dupli-color kit that includes the brush. Came out great

*Pic of my mustang caliper
Attached Thumbnails Taking off brakes for painting-new-calibers-blue-1.jpg  
Old 07-15-2006, 11:35 AM
lex350

I just painted my calipers on my Black BMW. I painted them black with the high temp paint in the can, 1200, like $6. To tell you the truth I did not remove the calipers at all. Get a few cans of brake cleaner and a wire brush. I taped everything up and the I painted a few coats. It been a few weeks and They look nice.