Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

New StopTech Technical Paper: Caliper Move-out Kits

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 09:23 AM
J Ritt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New StopTech Technical Paper: Caliper Move-out Kits

StopTech constantly receives questions regarding the appropriateness of using a larger brake rotor with existing stock calipers. These types of "upgrades" are typically called move-out kits, or rotor plus-sizing. We've discussed this topic with customers countless times in the past, but we've finally formalized some content on the topic. Enjoy.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/St...Out%20Kits.pdf
Old 07-18-2006, 10:31 AM
KhanMan

Do you know how much this kit will cost and what else we would need to change other than the location of the caliper?
Will these kits work on the newer 2-pot brakes you see on the 05+(06 for awd) G35 and 06+ Zs? Thank you.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:25 AM
J Ritt

This post was for informational purposes only. We don't sell or support these types of 'upgrades.'
Old 07-18-2006, 01:04 PM
SilverJDMCoupe

It seems that this article compared an Actual designed Big Brake Kit to an OEM 2 or single piston system. How would this compare to the OEM Brembo brakes (Opposed 4-piston system). That is my, and a few other's questions. If we want to upgrade the braking system in our 03-04 G35 Coupe or 350Z Tracks, we must chuck our 4-Piston Brembo calipers and rotors in the trash to get the kit with 4-Piston Stoptech calipers, bigger rotors and relocation brackets for upwards of $1400? Why isn't there a relocation bracket for the stock Brembos with a larger rotor??
Old 07-18-2006, 01:16 PM
J Ritt

It seems that this article compared an Actual designed Big Brake Kit to an OEM 2 or single piston system. How would this compare to the OEM Brembo brakes (Opposed 4-piston system). That is my, and a few other's questions. If we want to upgrade the braking system in our 03-04 G35 Coupe or 350Z Tracks, we must chuck our 4-Piston Brembo calipers and rotors in the trash to get the kit with 4-Piston Stoptech calipers, bigger rotors and relocation brackets for upwards of $1400? Why isn't there a relocation bracket for the stock Brembos with a larger rotor??
The OEM Brembos are a great system, and were designed with a system approach to work appropriately with the 350Z. It is a fine choice for many people looking for a brake upgrade on their base model Z's/G's, and many Track and coupe owners love them. For those people who want more heat capacity however, they will unfortunately have to "chuck them" to get a system with a bigger front rotor.

That is the fundamental issue of the article. If you upgrade ONLY the rotor to a larger unit while retaining the Brembo calipers, you will have unintended affects on the brake system. You would need to resize the pistons to properly accomodate for a larger rotor diatmeter. Unfortunately, you can't resize the pistons in the caliper after they've been manufactured. In other words, approach the system as a system. You can't just throw pieces at the system without understanding how they work together.

If someone desperately wanted to go to a bigger front rotor, it would be better to sell the stock Brembos and go with a properly balanced system from one of the brake manufacturers...StopTech, Brembo, AP, etc.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:16 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Racing Brake sells a "move out" style system like the one your reffering to. We tried one, it is absolute TRASH with a capital T...The kicker is, the cost is not all that much less..
Old 07-18-2006, 02:33 PM
dklau33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
Racing Brake sells a "move out" style system like the one your reffering to. We tried one, it is absolute TRASH with a capital T...The kicker is, the cost is not all that much less..

What was wrong with Racing Brake "move out" kit that makes it trash in your opinion?
Old 07-18-2006, 02:37 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by dklau33
What was wrong with Racing Brake "move out" kit that makes it trash in your opinion?
Its complete trash..Trust me, we have used it and it does not function well..Its simply a larger drilled and slotted rotor, with a cheap metal bracket that relocates the stock caliper.. Its made in Tiawan and their warranty and customer service are almost non-existant.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:30 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In short...

OE Calipers are engineered for the size rotors they are originally equipped with.

Using a Larger rotor will require the Caliper to be re-engineered to work properly...

Using the OE calipers with a Larger Rotor will increase heat capacity, but DECREASE the Calipers Function.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:54 PM
S12 driver

Even Brembo does offer a Turismo kit for some cars which uses a larger rotor on stock calipers, if it's that bad of an idea I doubt Brembo will do it.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:08 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by S12 driver
Even Brembo does offer a Turismo kit for some cars which uses a larger rotor on stock calipers, if it's that bad of an idea I doubt Brembo will do it.
Right, cause a company would never try and sell products to someone in a different pricing market. There is a market for oem upgrades believe it or not.The concept sells product, but does it offer better performance as compared to a full BBK?..Absolutely not..
Old 07-20-2006, 06:20 PM

That's not entirely true.

It's really easy to sit down and write an article bashing a product you don't even sell. It seems to me that the purpose of the article may be that Stop Tech has seen an increase in the sales of "move out" kits and wants to try and regain some of those possible sales.

I ran a "moveout" kit on my Acura RSX and never once had a problem. I was on R-compound tires and I couldn't engage ABS with the OEM brakes. I did all the rotor, pad, ducting and fluid upgrades and just never had enough heat capacity or the braking power to get the factory system to exceed the limits of the tires.

The larger discs increased the effective radius, adding more brake torque and gave me just what I needed. The increased heat capacity allowed me to avoid fade related problems. All in all it was a great upgrade.

I also ran the Brembo Turismo kit on my Escalade EXT. That was even more impressive than what I noticed with the Acura. When I asked Brembo why they don't do more Turismo type kits for sports cars they had some similar responses to what the Stop Tech article touches on, but if done correctly it's actually a very good and affordable upgrade.

The bracket must be strong enough to not promote unwanted flex. The new disc must match the disc in terms of anullas and radius(brembo includes new pads with their Turismo kit for this exact reason). The brake lines must be the correct length. AND lastly, the disc needs to be of improved quality or you are not necessarily improving the sysytem.

I agree that their are many companies that are doing the "plus-size" kits incorrectly, but you cannot knock the companies that are doing it right. After hearing Brembo's explaination of that type of system it explained alot of things that I noticed on the RSX like abnormal pad wear, and it may have explained the squeal (that and the race pads). Even with those couple issues I still felt that for Less than $800 the AEM kit was great.

All I'm saying is that I personally would not accept an explaination of why not to use a specific product from a company who doesn't even make that product.

No disrespect intended to Stop Tech.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:49 PM
StopTech
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it might be worth noting that we do not produce a product with move out brackets specifically because of the reasons outlined in the article. Wouldn't it be odd for us to not recommend something and then turn around and try to sell it to you? We have the ability to produce a large rotor kit with move out brackets and have chosen not to becuase we do not feel they are a good upgrade path to take. This article is more to explain our philosphy regarding these products and why we choose to not offer such parts instead of condemning or bashing those that do.