Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Tein Mono-Flex Installed

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 04:04 PM
jimster716

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Tein Mono-Flex Installed

Had the development set of MonoFlex coilovers installed last week. The MonoFlex utilizes a monotube damper. The Monoflex line is the next gen of the Type RA coilovers (which weren't available for the Z33 anyways IIRC).

Sorry, don't have install pics but the dampers have an anodized darker green hue to them. I should have pics later when I go in for a different install. You can find more info at http://www.tein.com/mfpdamp.html

The Monoflex is stiffer than the regular Flex which may be a turn off for many of you but the Flex was always intended to be streetable with occasional track use. If you only care about ride height adjustment with a comfortable ride, I'd refer you to the Comfort Spec line from Tein. Z33 Monoflex springs are stiffer than regular Flex with 14kg/mm (783 lb/in) springs front and rear instead of 12 kg/mm (671 lb/in).

The Monoflex definitely feels tauter around corners than my previous Flex. If anything there is greater responsiveness on the damper stroke which has alleviated rear end float on faster sweepers. EDFC compatible and same 16 way damping adjustment.

The real advantage of monotube technology is the resistance to aeration and improved heat dissipation under high stress situations like track days. Monotubes are preferred in racing. Tein usually offers twin tube coilovers for their entry and midline consumer offereings. The twin tubes are rebuildable and are less expensive to manufacture - these factors being very important to consumers.

Z33 Monoflex should be available by November or December 2006. MSRP is expected to be $2100-2200 (about 15% higher than regular Flex). Both regular Flex and Monoflex will be available for the Z33 IIRC.

Also expect the full competition Super Race coilovers to be available from Tein later this year or early next. Double adjustable for separate compression and rebound stroke settings. Similar to full race N1 dampers but includes springs and perches. Will be EDFC compatible but requiring 2 units (one to control compression and the other rebound). This set up probably won't be streetable or at least highly uncomfortable.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:50 PM
350Zteve

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At those spring rate, those will be nuts on the street. I already went down from 12kg to 10kg rates on my flex to make it bearable. I bet they work nice on the track though.