Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Non-Brembo Track Day Pad

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 09:25 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Non-Brembo Track Day Pad

All right... I received my StopTech Stage II brake kit w/ the Axxis Ultimate pads. I'm aware that the Ultimates are an excellant daily driving pad. I like to get a second set of Track Day only pads. I've had several suggestions; Cobalt Friction Spec VR (or even the GT Sport for lighter use), the Ferrodo DS2500, & the Carbotech Panther XP 8 and 9.

For those that have use any of these pads please share some feedback. Also where did you/ can I purchase these pads? Thanks guys!!!
Old 08-25-2006, 10:27 PM
Volk350Z
Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the Project U Level Max for my track setup..
Old 08-26-2006, 08:40 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Bump...
Old 08-26-2006, 05:17 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Bump!!!
Old 08-26-2006, 07:38 PM
kuah@splparts.com
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Robert_K
All right... I received my StopTech Stage II brake kit w/ the Axxis Ultimate pads. I'm aware that the Ultimates are an excellant daily driving pad. I like to get a second set of Track Day only pads. I've had several suggestions; Cobalt Friction Spec VR (or even the GT Sport for lighter use), the Ferrodo DS2500, & the Carbotech Panther XP 8 and 9.

For those that have use any of these pads please share some feedback. Also where did you/ can I purchase these pads? Thanks guys!!!
The Ferodo DS2500 is a semi-street semi-track pad, it is not that aggressive and for the smaller non-Brembo brakes I would get something more aggressive for track only use.

Look at the Hawk Blue pads as well, they work, they are relatively cheap and not that sensitive to bed-in procedure. You will definitely want to get rear track pads as well, the non-Brembo 350Z brakes run through rear pads very quickly on track.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:11 PM
daveh

Here's my recommendation. I think there are a few threads on this if you do a quick search in the track section of the forums. I would also recommend PFC-01 and PFC-97's. You can get them custom cut from porterfield-brakes. I would think that hawk blues would overheat with the small stock brake system on the Z. Never tried them myself though.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ight=raybestos
Old 08-27-2006, 04:50 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've heard great things about porterfield, but I've also heard they ain't cheap.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:24 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Thanks. I have search the forums. Also I'll take a look into you recommendations.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:27 PM
mberthia

Brake pad selection for the 03-05 non Brembo brakes is limited. Knowing your track experience and the kind of track you will run will help in suggesting what to try first. Most people on the board are tracking their cars with either the Brembo's or upgraded BBKs. Their experience on pad selection does not really apply to the stock brakes (to an extent). I say this because, the stock brakes will get much hotter. For example, a friend has a 350Z Track with the Brembo’s and has no trouble with Hawk HP+ on a track that is fairly hard on the brakes. Me, with the stock brakes, I will heat fade the pads. You will have to try a few compounds and see what works for you: driving style and track.

Also, if you are like me, you are looking for a reasonable price… You can get several different compounds custom cut into the pad shape that you need but it’s not cheap. For example Porterfield has quoted to me the Performance Friction PF01 compound in the front shape for over $200. Also, I’m not a racer, I do DEs with my PCA club, so a little lower friction pad is fine for me. A lot of the Porsche guys run the same pad on the street and on the track. It’s not optimum but it works, and we enjoy the track day.

I have purchased Hawk and Ferodo pads through Raceshopper.com. I found them to have the best prices. I got the Axxis Ult from Stoptech

I have used the following on the track:
Front: Stock OE, Hawk HP+ ($83), Ferodo DS2500 ($113), Hawk Blue ($125)
For a first time track event, there is no problem with going with the Stock pads as long as you bring a spare just in case. The HP+ were working good for me at my home track as it is not very demanding on the brakes but I faded them at Gingerman. I then tried hawk Blue and they chewed up my front rotors real fast – and that is with changing the brakes at the track – no street driving. I have to say that it was at my home track and was a rainy day, so they did not get very hot. Another reason to stay away from the Blues is that the dust is very corrosive and 10x worse if it rains. The Ferodo DS2500 worked good and did not fade when I subsequently returned to Gingerman. I only got 5 days out of them.
I will stick with Ferodo DS2500 for my home track and need to look into something better for other tracks. DS3000 (full race) for $175 may be something I try next year.
I’m also looking into upgrading the brakes. The DS2500 can also be driven to the track without chewing the rotors.

Rears is a different story. I have used:
Stock OE, Hawk HPS ($55), Hawk Blue ($86), Axxis Ultimate ($46)
Note that Hawk HP+ is now available in the rear fitment and that Ferodo does not make the rear fitment. At this time hawk blue has been the best pad for me. They manage to get hot enough on my local track and can take the heat. They have not worn my rear rotors. I also have tried Axxis Ultimates for a few track days. I plan to stick with Ultimates for the local track as they are cheap and the Blues at more demanding tracks (as long as there is no rain !!) The rears dust less because of the small size so it has not been as bad to clean up the wheels and the rear bumper.

I have tried getting the Cobalt Spec VR but Cobalt was in the process of changing their compounds and would not get anything until the end of August. I was told that DS2500 was better than Cobalt GT Sport so I don’t plan to try GT Sport.

When I called Carbotech, they would not sell me anything above the Panther Plus for the fronts as they believe the front brakes are inadequate. I can understand their reasoning. If you keep going at it with a full race track pad, other parts will fail. For example, I just changed my front rotors because of spider web craks. You could boil the fluid, cook the bearings etc,etc I understand this now and know that I have to stay within the limits of the brake system even if the pads can take more heat. Note, you can get the XP8 through dpeweb.com

Porterfield also has their R4 and R4S pads at decent prices but I have not tried those.

Good luck.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:52 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

mberthia: So you suggest the Ferodo DS2500 for the fronts and leave the Axxis Ultimate in the rears?
Old 08-29-2006, 05:39 AM
mberthia

Depends on your experience and track you are going to go but it would be a good starting point. Remember that if the pads fade. IE you need to press harder and harder on the brake pedal, don't keep at it. These are one piston calipers and you will bend the pads to a banana shape.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:58 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Thanks!!! Anyone else care to add their two cents?
Old 08-29-2006, 07:48 AM
kuah@splparts.com
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mberthia
I then tried hawk Blue and they chewed up my front rotors real fast – and that is with changing the brakes at the track – no street driving. I have to say that it was at my home track and was a rainy day, so they did not get very hot. Another reason to stay away from the Blues is that the dust is very corrosive and 10x worse if it rains.
That is true -- if the Hawk Blues are not used at operating temperatures they will wear the rotors aggressively; but at operating temps they do not wear the rotors that badly. Their brake dust is also bad if mixed with water and left on the wheels. But all track pads have quirks like that, I know pad compounds that will heat spot rotors and leave uneven pad transfer, if used near water or below operating temps...

IMHO I would run cheaper pads and start saving for a big brake kit, those stock calipers will not last long in track use...
Old 08-29-2006, 10:40 AM
Brian@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally Posted by Volk350Z
I use the Project U Level Max for my track setup..

I agree. I've heard lots of good things said about the Project U Level Max pads. I've driven some cars with the Endless CC-R and they were amazing too. You can't really lose when getting pads from two great companies like those.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:06 PM
SIRCRASHALOT

i RecomenD the CC-R's they have a great heat range and maintain a descent coe. of firction
Old 08-29-2006, 05:31 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

WOW!!! $266 for some brake pads! I afraid they'll be so good I'll damage my calipers. The Project U are a bit more in my price range.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:49 PM
StaticCling

mberthia gave you some good info. I have had experience with the CarboTechs (8, 9, and 10) and the Cobalt Friction Spec VR's. The Spec VR's are the better of the the two. Cobalt Friction is changing their pad compound so finding them might be tough. CarboTech are difficult to get with the stockers. They don't like to sell them. I was able to get the 8's for the front's and rear's after begging. Once I got the front's upgraded to Stoptechs for the front I was able to get 9's for the rears. If you are getting a track only pad, do not get anything less than than these types of pads (1000+ degree capacity). Especially with the stock brakes.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:19 PM
mberthia

Does anyone know what Cobalt is changing ? I find it strange that they did not plan to have pads in stock during their compound change over.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:19 PM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mberthia
Does anyone know what Cobalt is changing ? I find it strange that they did not plan to have pads in stock during their compound change over.
I had that somewhere.

They are changing the manufacturing process with newer compound (ceramic if I recall) to be used in bigger racing series.

I'll try the Hawk DTC-070 while waiting for the newer Cobalt Friction pads.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:20 AM
StaticCling

Does anyone know what Cobalt is changing ?
As mid-season approaches, we are pleased to report that Cobalt Friction’s new R&D and production facility located in Coral Springs, FL is nearing completion; we anticipate being fully operational by mid-July. Construction of this facility began in 2005 with the vision of revolutionizing the motorsports brake industry, both by setting new standards for braking performance and product quality, in addition to dramatically improving new product introduction lead times and overall customer responsiveness.

Cobalt’s new facility will support production of the much anticipated XR-Series carbon-ceramic friction composites and development of future product families. The XR-Series composites feature vastly improved torque profiles, thermal and frictional stability, and disc/pad wear rates. Cobalt’s current generation products (e.g. spec(VR), spec(B), GT-Sport, etc.) will be replaced by higher performing compounds from the XR-Series family as they become available during July. Based on extensive inertia dyno testing and field testing in Grand Am over the past several months, we are confident that you will find the new XR-Series composites to be a significant improvement over our current generation compounds, as well as our competitors’ products. In fact, test data confirms that the XR-Series materials have superior initial braking response (i.e. bite/attack) in addition to much smoother, consistent torque profiles and broader operating temperature ranges as compared to all currently available resin-based materials.

Quick Reply: Non-Brembo Track Day Pad