Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

End Links?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 09:25 AM
daveh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Offical pricing of TC's are $300 for the complete set. I don't think any Z parts will be advertised on his website since most of them are one-off parts. Best bet is to give them a call. I just railed on mine in the hills this weekend. Still no issues..

TC Design Inc
www.tcdesignfab.com
408-956-1526
Old 01-15-2007, 08:14 AM
msaralino

Default Thanks and For What Its Worth

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone on this thread. I was finally able to solve my "clunking" sound in the rear end of my 350z. Note I had installed the Hotchkiss sway bars.

Basically, I regreased the bushings and adjusted the end links to "light" as these were two suggestions I found on this board. I had also bought some Powergrid endlinks in preparation to replace the end links in case they were bad. (Time is a precious commodity; I'd been under the car twice trying to fix the "clunk" by tightening the respective bolts, I intended this to be my last time).

I was not able to install the new endlinks as I was close to stripping one of the bolts just to get the originals off. However, the originals seemed to wiggle fine.

I don't know for sure whether it was the regreasing of the bushings or the changing from "medium" to "light" setting on the sway bar that solved the problem. I suspect it was the regreasing, as the sway bar did not move particularly easily with the grease originally provided by Hotchkiss. I almost thought it was more like tar and was causing it to stick (in fairness, it was somewhat cold at the time). However, with the new grease the swaybar moved much more easily.

Anyhow, I'm close to a zero when it comes to knowing things about cars, but am trying to learn. I just wanted to thank everyone here for providing the knowledge to allow me to fix it.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:04 AM
Grommit

Any updates on your endlinks?

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
someone needs to step up and start making a proper endlink...none of this universal heim joint junk (and yes, having toyed with them countless times on race and street cars, I am of the opinion they are junk). A proper endlink with a urethane bushing and no "ball" design, which can pop out

Something along the lines of:

I've got a guy in mind to do this, and will be sending him a set of stock endlinks this week so he maybe get going on them - I am in need of new ones too as my rears are a bit noisy as well
Old 01-16-2007, 11:13 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

nothing to publically report as of yet
Old 01-16-2007, 09:09 PM
Cloud

Originally Posted by msaralino
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone on this thread. I was finally able to solve my "clunking" sound in the rear end of my 350z. Note I had installed the Hotchkiss sway bars.

Basically, I regreased the bushings and adjusted the end links to "light" as these were two suggestions I found on this board. I had also bought some Powergrid endlinks in preparation to replace the end links in case they were bad. (Time is a precious commodity; I'd been under the car twice trying to fix the "clunk" by tightening the respective bolts, I intended this to be my last time).

I was not able to install the new endlinks as I was close to stripping one of the bolts just to get the originals off. However, the originals seemed to wiggle fine.

I don't know for sure whether it was the regreasing of the bushings or the changing from "medium" to "light" setting on the sway bar that solved the problem. I suspect it was the regreasing, as the sway bar did not move particularly easily with the grease originally provided by Hotchkiss. I almost thought it was more like tar and was causing it to stick (in fairness, it was somewhat cold at the time). However, with the new grease the swaybar moved much more easily.

Anyhow, I'm close to a zero when it comes to knowing things about cars, but am trying to learn. I just wanted to thank everyone here for providing the knowledge to allow me to fix it.
so the sound is totally gone? I changed my swaybars to the stiffest setting and there was improvement... but the clunk wasstill there
Old 01-16-2007, 09:18 PM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Originally Posted by Grommit
Any updates on your endlinks?
They look good and seem to be of GREAT quality, but they need to be adjustable.

Not adjustable = no good to me.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:19 AM
msaralino

Originally Posted by Cloud
so the sound is totally gone? I changed my swaybars to the stiffest setting and there was improvement... but the clunk wasstill there
Completely gone. Note I changed my sways to the lightest setting. I don't know if that had more of an impact or the regreasing of the bushing. Again, my guess is the regreasing but I do not know for sure.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:41 PM
z-u-later

The clunking in front of my Z goes away when I set it my after-market sway bar to medium. The noise only shows up when it is set tight. More than likely, it is the setting that "temporarily" resolves this issue. That's the reason we're all waiting on the status of several end links that are being developed to see if these will permanently address the issue of the clunking noise.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:31 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by WA2GOOD
They look good and seem to be of GREAT quality, but they need to be adjustable.

Not adjustable = no good to me.
adjustable ones are already out there and we have no interest in making another set

Ours will be strictly non adjustable, for the reasons I outlined initially in the thread
Old 01-18-2007, 05:04 PM
jreiter

Originally Posted by z-u-later
The noise only shows up when it is set tight. More than likely, it is the setting that "temporarily" resolves this issue. That's the reason we're all waiting on the status of several end links that are being developed to see if these will permanently address the issue of the clunking noise.
That was my thought. My guess was that the end links start wearing out and start clunking. Then, when you set your swaybars to a softer setting, that puts less stress on the endlinks and thus they stop clunking. This would only seem temporary, though, since the endlinks have already started wearing out and getting loose. I'd guess that you'll most likely need new ones eventually regardless of the setting. (?)
Old 01-19-2007, 12:45 AM
Cloud

how long are a pair of stock endlinks expected to last before clunking again with hotchkis on the stiffest settings?
Old 01-19-2007, 06:16 AM
SpoilsofWar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cloud
how long are a pair of stock endlinks expected to last before clunking again with hotchkis on the stiffest settings?
Totally dependant on driving style and conditions...

And I for one can't wait until those solid endlinks come out!
Old 01-21-2007, 11:39 PM
Cloud

I thought it was the joints that caused the clunking? A thicker end link is more rigid but that doesn't have anything to do with the joint?
Old 01-22-2007, 07:11 PM
daveh

My TC Design end links survived a day at Thunderhill. Track tested now
Old 02-07-2007, 11:46 PM
Cloud

all the clunking seems to happen with hotchkis swaybars.. does it happen with other swaybars such as cusco?
Old 02-08-2007, 04:16 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

the clunking happens regardless of the sway because its not the sway..its the endlink
Old 02-08-2007, 04:46 AM
z-u-later

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
the clunking happens regardless of the sway because its not the sway..its the endlink
^+1
Old 02-08-2007, 08:29 AM
MoodDude

Well you could have an older Hotchkis sway the didn't have any collars installed on it and it would move latterly and make a clunking noise. Yet, all the new hotchkis sways now come with a welded collar. So the clunking could come from the hotchkis sway - yet that is easy to fix with some split shaft collars.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:38 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

that is true MoodDude - forgot about those
Old 02-08-2007, 10:07 AM
Grommit

Since this thread got bumped up... Any word on your endlinks?

Quick Reply: End Links?