Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Air Suspension Build Log (UPDATED 11/30/06)

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 05:04 PM
UrbanTacticZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GQ 350z
Can you pm me cost shipped to 95212...as well as typical install costs...
PM'ed you
Old 12-15-2006, 05:08 PM
UrbanTacticZ

Ok progress update: I got the struts and bags mounted up in the car. Finding a place for the valves is truely a pain in the butt for me because I want them up and out of the way behind the wheel well skin (in the front). The valves that come with the kit are waterproof so you can mount them under the car (where Universal typically mounts the valves) but I'd like them not visable at all if possible. I think I found a spot thats tucked up out of the way but we will see tomorrow when I physically mount them.

I found an awesome spot behind the front fenders but there's a few problems I was concerned about. First, you would have to remove the fender and deal with aligning it all back up again. Second, what happends if you get into a wreck and it pinches your lines and/or bangs up the valves? So I decided not to mount them behind the fender, oh well! The valves are very, very heavy duty, but I'd rather not take the risk.

Pictures will come eventually when I'm not lazy, tired, and dirty!
Old 12-15-2006, 05:15 PM
UrbanTacticZ

Hey Zack I sent you a PM about the valves!
Old 12-29-2006, 07:14 AM
Devil Z

Keep us updated.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:35 PM
UrbanTacticZ

You know what's funny? I take pictures every time I get a chance to work on the car, but I just have not been sharing them for various reasons such as laziness, tiredness, etc haha

I will TRY my best to keep this thread updated. I havn't even been updating my blog either though. Zack knows the current status of my car and I think that's about it. Oh and my friends at Vertex USA.

Basically everything is installed and ready to rock. Electrical is just about done, I am just running things in a very clean manner. Tucked up and out of the way is what I'm doing. So instead of running lines and wires under the car, they are actually going to be ran through the body itself. This takes a little more time, but that's just how I build my cars

This what my interior looks like as of a few days ago. It looks pretty good now actually because theres somewhat of an interior to speak of
Old 01-15-2007, 09:19 AM
sundawg

any updates on the install, i was actually looking into air ride and the idea of being able to lower n raise the car at the flick of a switch is very appealing...
Old 01-15-2007, 09:46 AM
DaveZ06

Whats the upade on the "airbag or air ride" suspension? I would love to ride high over speedbumps and slam my car when parked
Old 11-01-2007, 12:46 PM
BhashaZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old thread, but any updates Prashant?
Old 11-03-2007, 01:15 AM
UrbanTacticZ

Wow! Really old thread is right

Yeah, huge updates to come actually. Car is almost done. Well the air suspension has been done for ages and has several thousand miles on it. The car will debut at D1 Grand Prix at the Vertex USA/Japan.

I will try to post pics a little before/during the event!
Old 11-05-2007, 09:37 PM
NISMOFO

bump for some pictures
Old 11-05-2007, 09:44 PM
mx22o

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

wanna see pics too =)
Old 11-05-2007, 09:49 PM
UrbanTacticZ

I'm really set on not posting pictures until the entire car is buttoned up. At least the exterior and suspension

Right now, I am in the process of having some custom parts made for the rear suspension to camber in -7 degrees to tuck my wheels. They are freaking huge
Old 11-06-2007, 07:18 AM
BhashaZ

Great to hear Prashant! More than anything, I just want your experience with the air suspension, and just want a brief idea as to where you installed the compressor/tank, and how much noise is in the cabin with the compressor. I'm VERY heavily leaning towards this and I knew you were running the Universal Air Suspension kit.

Looking forward to hearing your experiences!
Old 11-06-2007, 07:51 AM
06MagneticZ

what size are those valves and lines? This makes me miss my mini-truckin' days. I would dump the *** on my Ranger and rail my frame for miles.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:33 AM
BhashaZ

Anything updates? Or can you please PM me about where you installed the compressor/tank and comment about compressor noise? I'm hoping everything fits behind the driver's side cubby/box (where the Bose sub would go). Please let me know or PM me!

EDIT: I'm guessing you had to find a new place for the tank? Unless you somehow managed?
Originally Posted by UrbanTacticZ
Oh jeez, don't ask haha. You literally need to shove it in there. It also turns out that it will not fit with the fittings on the tank so I instead have to find a new place for it.

Last edited by BhashaZ; 11-16-2007 at 10:36 AM.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:21 AM
UrbanTacticZ

There are a few different options for tanks, the best being mounting outside of the vehicle, maybe under the car. Since we have very little room, you would probably have to use a couple smaller tanks, maybe 1 or 2 gallons each and daisy chain them together.

Me personally, I had no time to think of that because I am getting the car ready for the D1 Grand Prix debut so I bought a smaller 3 gallon tank and put that behind the driver cubby including the valve assembly for the rear bags. It's not ideal because you will hear the valves click on and off when you adjust your suspension accordingly. But, it's not too big of a deal because like I said, you only hear the noises when you are actually filling the bags or releasing air.

As for the compressors, the location for those is final. They are mounted behind the rear bumper cover on the aluminum bumper support. There are some custom brackets made from some aluminum angle iron and everything is drilled and tapped into the stock bumper support. Very solid and it does the job. Since they are mounted solidly to something that connects to the body of the car, you do feel slight vibrations when the compressors are on but to me, it's not too big of a deal. I wish I had pics of this before it went to the body shop to get the new bumper installed but I had no time to take pics

And as for compressor noise, it's bearable. I wish it was more quiet so no one would be able to hear (since the compressors are on the outside of the car) but in all reality, how often will your compressors be on? That's what your air tank is for. I'm running 2 Viair 380C compressors which are T'd into a single line that runs into the interior and snakes around into driver side cubby where the tank is. I'm sure there are compressors that are more quiet.

Also, there are ways to reduce vibrations and noise which involve putting something in between the compressor and whatever you mount to. ABS plastic, a piece of wood, etc. I didn't bother to do anything like that simply because I had no time to get it done and had to deliver the car to the bodyshop.

Let me know if you need any more help!
Old 11-16-2007, 11:24 AM
UrbanTacticZ

Originally Posted by 06MagneticZ
what size are those valves and lines? This makes me miss my mini-truckin' days. I would dump the *** on my Ranger and rail my frame for miles.
The valves on my car are 3/8" and the lines I'm running are 1/4". For my taste, it is still too fast because I want to be able to adjust the ride height slowly to get the perfect height. But, no biggie, my Dakota Digital unit allows me to chose the speed which the system operates. Now if you are using a box of switches, you are going to be limited for sure by your physical setup of valves and air lines.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:27 AM
Crom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This looks pretty cool..just worried about the handling and that they only work w/ certain coilovers. - ther roberuta cup is the only other option but that only gives slightly over 2 inches of vertical adjustment, and if something breaks your screwed... - in for the results.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:28 AM
UrbanTacticZ

Originally Posted by BhashaZ
Great to hear Prashant! More than anything, I just want your experience with the air suspension, and just want a brief idea as to where you installed the compressor/tank, and how much noise is in the cabin with the compressor. I'm VERY heavily leaning towards this and I knew you were running the Universal Air Suspension kit.

Looking forward to hearing your experiences!
My experience with the air suspension is great. I have put several thousand miles on the suspension without any real problems. The only problems I ran into were leaks which just meant tightening and checking the valves and also electrical problems with the gauges. Needless to say, they were simple problems and didn't have anything really to do with the functionality of the kit. At stock height, the car rides like stock almost. But, probably closer to a Z with new springs--nothing to complain about.

When you go lower, it becomes a little worse but that's a given in basically any suspension setup you put on the Z. The fix? New coilovers! Install air suspension on some new Tanabe coilovers with the electronic dampening adjustment unit (TEAS) and it's simply put--GAME OVER!
Old 11-16-2007, 11:30 AM
UrbanTacticZ

Also, for anyone who is in Socal Thanksgiving weekend, I will be at D1 Grand Prix in Irwindale that weekend. My car will be in the Vertex Japan/USA booth, so feel free to drop by and check out the car!

More info at www.d1gp.com

Quick Reply: Air Suspension Build Log (UPDATED 11/30/06)