Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Tried Bedding in squealing Brakes but now its WORSE!! Should I Try It Again?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 11:42 AM
DanielW
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tried Bedding in squealing Brakes but now its WORSE!! Should I Try It Again?

hey guys. I recently have been having some problems with my 05 stock brakes squealing under light pressure at low speeds. I took it to the dealership twice and it still sqeals. The second time they replaced the pads (or whatever they consider "hardware") and it helped a good bit but they were still doing it occasionally. then it was recommended to me to try the bed in process. I was scared at first but then a few days ago when i was on a back country road i decided to give it a shot. So I did about 8 or 9 hard brakes from 65 or so down to about 8-10 mph followed by quick acceleration back up to speed. then i road for ten minutes or so at about 65 to cool them off. The next time i got back in the car i reallized the problem had gotten worse. ALOT WORSE!! they say it takes two or three tries sometimes. But should it actually get worse before it gets better? now it does it the majority of the time. and its louder. So my question is... should i try it agian?
Old 12-11-2006, 05:10 PM
DanielW
Banned

bumpzilla
Old 12-11-2006, 08:30 PM
MR_X

my friend you need some of this
http://www.crcindustries.com/auto/co...x?PN=05016&S=N

and it is as easy to put on also. Should be able to find it at your local auto part store.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:23 AM
zzz350

Go to tirerack.com and look up bedding procedures. You didn't do it right, you don't do 8-9 stops from 65 mph (DOH!!!!!)
Old 09-02-2007, 03:39 PM
DanielW
Banned

Ok I've been through several sets of brake pads and even changed rotors at the suggestion of the a holes at east charlotte nissan and i'm still getting this squeal. Can someone please give me some idea of whats going on? Its driving me crazy this has been happening since i bought the car.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:16 AM
reserved

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zzz350
Go to tirerack.com and look up bedding procedures. You didn't do it right, you don't do 8-9 stops from 65 mph (DOH!!!!!)
Hav'nt looked at Tirerack's website for "bedding-in" brakes, but the procedure described by the OP is how Stoptech describes the process.
BTW not as easy to do as it sounds without creating a traffic hazard or attracting unwanted attention from police dept!!! I went out one Sunday morning at 5.30 am to a stretch of road with a 50 mph speed limit, but it is definitely a little bit of a challenge unless you really live far from civilization.
In any event, the bed-in has not significantly helped with my brake squeal either.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:21 AM
DanielW
Banned

yeah i did exactly what stoptech described on their website
Old 09-04-2007, 05:32 AM
AroundMyHorn

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by reserved
Hav'nt looked at Tirerack's website for "bedding-in" brakes, but the procedure described by the OP is how Stoptech describes the process.
BTW not as easy to do as it sounds without creating a traffic hazard or attracting unwanted attention from police dept!!! I went out one Sunday morning at 5.30 am to a stretch of road with a 50 mph speed limit, but it is definitely a little bit of a challenge unless you really live far from civilization.
In any event, the bed-in has not significantly helped with my brake squeal either.

what kind of pads are you using? Did you bed them twice?
Old 09-04-2007, 06:17 AM
reserved

Originally Posted by AroundMyHorn
what kind of pads are you using? Did you bed them twice?
I think they are Axxis Ultimates???? (they come standard with the Stoptech kits I believe)
For the bed-in, I did my 10 stops, drove normally for about 10 minutes, then did another 10 stops.
I will probably talk to the Stoptech guys again to see which other pads may be more "street" friendly and make the change accordingly.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:34 AM
jtabraham

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're up to it, just re-grease the back of your pads and your shims to see if that was the problem. Maybe whoever installed your pads didn't properly lubricate them (poor lubrication is one of the biggest contributors to brake squeal).

Instead of getting that CRC lubricant I would recommend just getting those single packets that any autoparts store would sell.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:37 AM
Wheelman

Originally Posted by jtabraham
If you're up to it, just re-grease the back of your pads and your shims to see if that was the problem. Maybe whoever installed your pads didn't properly lubricate them (poor lubrication is one of the biggest contributors to brake squeal).

Instead of getting that CRC lubricant I would recommend just getting those single packets that any autoparts store would sell.
x2. Put pad grease on the back of your pads, cheap fix here...
Old 09-04-2007, 11:11 AM
DanielW
Banned

do you have to take off the wheels to do this?
Old 09-04-2007, 11:17 AM
jtabraham

Originally Posted by danielwebb
do you have to take off the wheels to do this?

Yes. It's essentially like installing new pads...but instead you just clean and grease your existing pads and shims and reinstall.

Pad replacement is not a very difficult or time consuming job. Just wash down your wheels and brakes with some soapy water beforehand to make the job a little cleaner.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:28 AM
Ztalker

the stock oem pads will squeal eventually as it wear out. i replaced mine with Satisfied pads from tirerack earlier this year(very inexpensive canadian pads), no squeal and very low dust so far.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:45 AM
AroundMyHorn

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by reserved
I think they are Axxis Ultimates???? (they come standard with the Stoptech kits I believe)
For the bed-in, I did my 10 stops, drove normally for about 10 minutes, then did another 10 stops.
I will probably talk to the Stoptech guys again to see which other pads may be more "street" friendly and make the change accordingly.

I have the Axxis ultimates with zero squeel. It's strange how these things are hit or miss.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:24 PM
DanielW
Banned

anyone have any experience with the hawk hps pads and this issue?
Old 09-04-2007, 05:49 PM
jtabraham

i had squealing stock pads and changed them to hawk hps using the brake lubricant I suggested before. It's been about 10,000 miles and no squealing so far.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:19 PM
plumpzz

Even the hawks will eventually squeak. Pressure washing them ever so often helps a lot for me, followed by a quick break in.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:29 PM
bikinilust

The Hawks had squeeked like crazy on me... I even had the rotors resurfaced once when installing the pads, and again later to see if it would help... Nada..i did the whole bedding them in thing...For some strange reason they are way better now, but breaking in reverse can sometimes be a biotch.. Alot of people in my club have the same problem.. And i noticed if i ever have to do a heavy, fast stop... they'll sqeel for days...
Old 09-10-2007, 07:38 PM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

I gave up on the Axxis Ultimates for my Stoptechs. I got a set of Axxis Deluxe's, and they are no squeel, and no dust (almost) Of course, they won't work at the track, but thats why I have track pads as well.

Dave

Quick Reply: Tried Bedding in squealing Brakes but now its WORSE!! Should I Try It Again?