Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Why is the rear not lower w/Hotchkis springs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 04:25 PM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Finally got around to trying out Erin's (Hotchkis Engineer) theory about bushing bind and It didn't help. I loosened both lower control arm bolts, went for a drive to get a full tank of gas and put some added weight back there, then drove over about a dozen speed bumps on the way home. I was still at 14-15mm in the rear. So I then put the car back up on ramps and loaded the rear with about 100lbs or misc. stuff which lowered the car another 10mm (25mm total from stock) before I torqued down the lower control arm bolts. Removed all the stuff, then went for another drive. Measured...back to 14-15mm, so I don't think it's bushing bind.

I know It sounds like I'm being **** over 4-5mm, but with less than a 1/2 tank it's more like 9-10mm. I bought the Hotchkis b/c I liked the idea of dropping the rear more than the front. I am actually ok with where it's at with a full tank of gas, but once I burn through that 1/2 tank, I've actually done the opposite of what I set out to do and lowered the front more than the rear. DOH!
Old 03-05-2007, 07:11 AM
ANXIOUZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol. I don't think you're being **** at all. When I first put on my Hotchkis I was a little disappointed by how little it dropped. Then it grew on me and I think it's perfect now. If it was getting higher as I burned gas, I'd be upset.

What sucks for you is that you have to keep a full tank of gas (and all that weight) to keep the car looking right.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:47 AM
kaos1

i'm waitin on the order of my hotchkis kit... i ordered it from intense motorsports, cant wait
Old 03-24-2007, 10:56 AM
azula

Originally Posted by 350Zenophile
Finally got around to trying out Erin's (Hotchkis Engineer) theory about bushing bind and It didn't help. I loosened both lower control arm bolts, went for a drive to get a full tank of gas and put some added weight back there, then drove over about a dozen speed bumps on the way home. I was still at 14-15mm in the rear. So I then put the car back up on ramps and loaded the rear with about 100lbs or misc. stuff which lowered the car another 10mm (25mm total from stock) before I torqued down the lower control arm bolts. Removed all the stuff, then went for another drive. Measured...back to 14-15mm, so I don't think it's bushing bind.

I know It sounds like I'm being **** over 4-5mm, but with less than a 1/2 tank it's more like 9-10mm. I bought the Hotchkis b/c I liked the idea of dropping the rear more than the front. I am actually ok with where it's at with a full tank of gas, but once I burn through that 1/2 tank, I've actually done the opposite of what I set out to do and lowered the front more than the rear. DOH!

wow, sorry to hear that man, maybe its time to shop around for another set of springs?
Old 03-25-2007, 07:55 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't given up on Hotchkis by any means. They really are a standup company and the ride and handling characteristics are spot on for what I was looking for. I have now actually received a third set of springs to try out just to rule out any possibility of manufacturer error.

Besides, the only other spring that drops the rear proportionally more than the front are the Tanabe GF210s which are more of a drop than I'm looking for and require hardware to get your camber back into spec. Can't believe a lot of springs out there drop the front more than the rear...makes no sense to me (from an aesthetic stand point).