Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers
View Poll Results: Axxis Ultimates or Hawk HPS pads?
Axxis Ultimates
41.38%
Hawk HPS
58.62%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Axxis Ultimate or Hawk HPS pads?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Phantom Menace

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alberto
Just because something works on one platform doesnt mean it will work on the Z. Your comparing a lighter car to a heavier one with different weight distributions. HAWK HPS pads suck-anybody that likes these obviously doesnt push the limits of their brakes!
Whoa there cowboy. I didn't say, "since they work well on the RX8 they'd work well on the Z." Did I? No. I posted how well I think they work on the RX8. The OP did say, "opinions welcome," no? Furthermore, the 8 and Z are different cars which have different braking systems as well. It's not like its the same braking system on both cars. So, by you saying that they are different "platforms" is redundant. Of course, they are different cars! Who said they were the same? Lastly, the OP didn't mention ANYTHING about "pushing the limits of the car!" That was your assumption. And it is indicative of your mindset. I got you pegged! Mr. "Performance Guy."

I bet your next "comeback" will be something on the lines of, "well...with turbo, you need better pads than HPS! I know...cause I have turbo and my head up my a$$...blah, blah, blah."

Next time you wanna come down on a "newbie" such as me, READ first. Reading is fundamental. Your post count, what you have in your car, etc. doesn't hold a drop of water on here unless you know how to READ.

--Dismissed.

Last edited by Phantom Menace; 05-05-2007 at 12:40 PM.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:36 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HPS suck and are dangerous to drive on. They stop as fast as a big rig truck
Old 05-05-2007, 12:49 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Phantom Menace
Whoa there cowboy. I didn't say, "since they work well on the RX8 they'd work well on the Z." Did I? No. I posted how well I think they work on the RX8. The OP did say, "opinions welcome," no? Furthermore, the 8 and Z are different cars which have different braking systems as well. It's not like its the same braking system on both cars. So, by you saying that they are different "platforms" is redundant. Of course, they are different cars! Who said they were the same? Lastly, the OP didn't mention ANYTHING about "pushing the limits of the car!" That was your assumption. And it is indicative of your mindset. I got you pegged! Mr. "Performance Guy."

I bet your next "comeback" will be something on the lines of, "well...with turbo, you need better pads than HPS! I know...cause I have turbo and my head up my a$$...blah, blah, blah."

Next time you wanna come down on a "newbie" such as me, READ first. Reading is fundamental. Your post count, what you have in your car, etc. doesn't hold a drop of water on here unless you know how to READ.

--Dismissed.
You wrote all that for nothing. You said...

My wife has the Hawk HPS on her RX8. They are good pads
This is as relevant as me saying "my friend runs 11's in his Z06 stock" in a 1/4 thread for stock Z's, your post was useless, and if anything implied because of your experience with the pads on another platform that they would be similar in the Z-are you arguing your post doesnt imply this? Of course he said opinions welcome, but again Im sure he doesnt mean tell me about your experiences with cars that Im not asking for. Stay on track next time. Bottom line---->I posted from EXPERIENCE with both HAWK and AXXIS pads IN THE Z, and provided my opinion, you posted "experience" from another car, and provided no helpful insight, your a tool. -Dismissed
Old 05-05-2007, 12:58 PM
Phantom Menace

...This is as relevant as me saying "my friend runs 11's in his Z06 stock" in a 1/4 thread for stock Z's...
I knew your next post would be "performance" oriented. And come up with our own cool, literary b!tch slap. "Dismissed" is mine. Don't be butt-hurt cause you can't read.

--Dismissed.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:01 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

LOL you are a tool, I only did that to show you how stupid your "connection" was from the RX-8 to the Z in the OP, great comeback. You obviouly dont understand sarcasm either.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:02 PM
Phantom Menace

LOL you are a tool, I only did that to show you how stupid your "connection" was from the RX-8 to the Z in the OP, great comeback. You obviouly dont understand sarcasm either.
And you OBVIOUSLY can't spell, either. Let it go. Stop thread jacking. Go to a Barnes & Noble's and pick up "Hooked On Phonics" and learn...

--Dismissed.

Last edited by Phantom Menace; 05-05-2007 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:04 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Originally Posted by Phantom Menace
And you OBVIOUSLY can't spell, either.

--Dismissed.
oooooo the spelling slam

Old 05-05-2007, 02:11 PM
leykias

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

c hrist... phantom menace....

you need to stop posting...

you're embarassing yourself and dont' even know it.....

i would try to explain what alberto is trying to tell you but that's about as clear as it gets.....

lolololololol
Old 05-05-2007, 02:13 PM
Phantom Menace

Originally Posted by leykias
c hrist... phantom menace....

you need to stop posting...

you're embarassing yourself and dont' even know it.....

i would try to explain what alberto is trying to tell you but that's about as clear as it gets.....

lolololololol
Maybe...I...do...know it?
Sorry I'm not as cool as you and your homies...or maybe I just don't take well to macho-a$$holes like you and your buddy "Berto" trying to call everyone out all the time? Pfft...get a life man. You didn't really expect to try and show someone up without any retaliation, did you? What, am I just supposed to bow down cause you guys are "cool" guys? Pfft.

You got anything else to add?

Last edited by Phantom Menace; 05-05-2007 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:44 PM
bigslim350Z

thanks for the information about axxis pads guys. I am looking at upgrading my stock brakes after experiencing their problems when continuously trying to slow down from triple digit speeds. I saw that they came with the stoptech stage 2 OE upgrade but I haven't heard any reviews about them. sounds like they work well and the dust is a small price to pay for the stopping performance.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:50 PM
1nate7

I have tried them both and prefer Axxis. The HPS pads are cheap and low dust, other than that I wasn't impressed at all for reasons already discussed.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:33 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

I just ditched my Stillen rotors (I have Brembo's) with Hawk HPS for Axxis ULT and Stoptech slotted rotors. My car has more than 2X the stock power, and I had NASTY brake fade with the crappy HPS's. Even NA they never stopped as well as stock pads, only upside is they dust less. I absolutely LOVE the Axxis/Stoptech combo, my confidence is back the brakes are sick. Stopping from 140mph is not a worry anymore. They do dust more, but Id rather clean my wheels 2X a week instead of 1X a week and be alive!
Thanks for responding, Alberto... I would like to have less dust, but not at the expense of having a pad with less bite than OEM.

I'm looking towards a StopTech BBK and am thinking about either the Axxis Ultimates or possibly the Centric Posi-Quiet Semi-Metalic pads.

Originally Posted by 1nate7I
have tried them both and prefer Axxis. The HPS pads are cheap and low dust, other than that I wasn't impressed at all for reasons already discussed.
Thanks, I'd say this rules out the HPS pads for me. Appreciate the tip.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:36 PM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run Hawks on my Brimbo TL. Dust is less but not as light as I would like.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:16 PM
AroundMyHorn

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I went with Axxis. They feel great and have great bite. The dust is a pain in the *** but i clean my rims 3 times a week so no big deal.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:28 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You wrote all that for nothing. You said...

This is as relevant as me saying "my friend runs 11's in his Z06 stock" in a 1/4 thread for stock Z's, your post was useless, and if anything implied because of your experience with the pads on another platform that they would be similar in the Z-are you arguing your post doesnt imply this? Of course he said opinions welcome, but again Im sure he doesnt mean tell me about your experiences with cars that Im not asking for. Stay on track next time. Bottom line---->I posted from EXPERIENCE with both HAWK and AXXIS pads IN THE Z, and provided my opinion, you posted "experience" from another car, and provided no helpful insight, your a tool. -Dismissed

Minus the rude comments, I agree with alberto 100% ... I actually felt so unsafe with my hawk hps pads that I took them out and got the stoptech stage 2 kit, complete with axxis ultimate pads.

Night and day improvement. Anyone who says hawk HPS are good, I agree, hasn't been pushing his brakes at all...
Old 05-09-2007, 05:44 PM
glennmead

Default 350Z / G35 Brake pad review

I am including some background, it helps to know where the information is coming from. I've spent the last year tracking a 2005 Enthusiasts 350Z. In fact, during the last year I've spent 28 days on the track. I've been to Shenandoah, VIR Full, VIR South, VIR North, Roebling Road, Road Atlanta, Rockingham and CMP.

First I had to get the handling taken care of, then I had to resolve the brake issues. The handling part was pretty easy. I wasn't sure I would be able to find an affordable solution for the braking issues. I've used OEM pads, EBC Yellow, Hawk, Carobtech, and Racing Brake. I am VERY hard on brakes. I now drive in the advanced group and have to run with race cars, seasoned drivers, and big motors. The one place I found I can gain some time is braking. Instead of running 225 tires on the front, I am running 275's. These provide a lot more tire traction, which means I can put a much higher load on the brakes. I started out using the non-Brembo brakes, but quickly upgraded to the Brembo's using a set from a wrecked G35. Short summary of the pads I've used:

EBC Yellow - Short life, low temperature threshold
CarboTech - Noisy and expensive
Hawk HP+ - Nice track pad, but so noisy on the street I was embarrassed

That brings me to the RacingBrake pads. So far I've used their 700 series and their 900 series.

For the street and limited track use the 700 series are great. Although RacingBrake claims the pad make a small amount of noise, I haven't heard so much as a squeak from them. They hold up on the track for anything most non-racing drivers could throw at them. They do require a hard break in if you want to avoid any fading under track conditions. It was really nice to be able to drive the car on the street and on the track with the same pad. The pads had great modulation both on and off the track, and were very kind to the rotors.

Although I really liked the 700 series, because of the way I brake on the track I decided to try their 900 series as a track pad. RacingBrake lists this pad as a racing pad. At a recent Road Atlanta event, I knocked a second off my times by switching to the 900 series. Surprisingly the pad was fairly quiet on the street when I went for lunch and gas. I would not recommend this pad for street use as it is much more aggressive than the 700. By my measurements, it also has a higher rotor wear rate.

So which do I like the most? For all out racing, go with the 900. For anything else I would start out with the 700. If you need more, then go with the 900.

Note: You really need to follow the break-in procedures for these pads. They really need the heat cycle to to be ready for hard use. When I first used the 700's, I didn't break them in properly. They worked great on the street, but during my first track session, I was concerned that they might fade on me. Fortunately the first track session apparently worked as a good break-in. I had no problems during the rest of the event.

And no, I don't work for RacingBrake.

Last edited by glennmead; 05-10-2007 at 06:07 AM.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:05 PM
Triple8Sol
Banned

Originally Posted by __jb
How many days after a wash do you notice the brake dust buildup?

I'd like to go at least a week...
The very next day...lol. Like I said though, I've never been concerned w/that. You can always wash/clean your wheels as much as you like.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:21 PM
doskiez

I have Hawk hps's on my car now and love them for street driving. I HATE brake dust with a passion and the stock squeek got annoying.
P.S. Havent seen the stoptech sponsor on here before... HI.
Im running an oversized stoptech setup on an e36 3 series bmw and couldnt be happier. It will put you through the windshield if your not strapped in.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:32 PM
Jon70ProofZ

I just ditched my Stillen rotors (I have Brembo's) with Hawk HPS for Axxis ULT and Stoptech slotted rotors. My car has more than 2X the stock power, and I had NASTY brake fade with the crappy HPS's. Even NA they never stopped as well as stock pads, only upside is they dust less. I absolutely LOVE the Axxis/Stoptech combo, my confidence is back the brakes are sick. Stopping from 140mph is not a worry anymore. They do dust more, but Id rather clean my wheels 2X a week instead of 1X a week and be alive!
see ive got the hps pads right now and i have alot of brake fade, being that i live 30 min from the dragon these just do not do well up there, one pass up and then down and these are smoking even with drilled rotors looks like ill try the axxis pads this time and see how they hold up

Last edited by Jon70ProofZ; 02-24-2008 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:20 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

How about the Pagid RS 4-2-1 pads? Are these a happy medium or good compromise between the Hawk HPS and Axxis Ultimate?

http://www.stoptech.com/user/Product...14714&catid=13

Anybody got reviews/experience with this pad?

Quick Reply: Axxis Ultimate or Hawk HPS pads?