Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Cusco Coilover Install and results - many pics! 56k no

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 03:22 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll do the standard Cusco's then. Have you driven on JIC coilovers? I have FLT-A2's with 40K+ tired miles, I want something softer (especially rear for dragging) and better dampened, my choice after researching was Cusco due to the 10/7k spring rates, pretty reasonable IMO. I think most coilovers run way to high of spring rates for what most people will ever need. Any other suggestions? I have no interest in running Buddy Club or Stance "true" rear coilovers as thats another topic of discussion in itself.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:51 AM
dklau33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got my Zero 2's installed this past weekend. Thanks again to Adam@Z1 for the help and excellent recommendation. I also got the rubber mount version and there is absolutely no noise from these. This was a very important point to me since my car is a DD. My installer, (daveh), first comments when test driving the car was, "Wow, it's so quiet", comparing to his own coilover setup. The spring rate of 10/7 is very reasonable and remains quite comfortable when setting the shocks at the lower settings. Haven't tested the higher settings but no need to until I go out to the track. The handling is noticably improved over stock and the car definitely stays flatter and more composed through turns due to the increased spring rates and superior valving. IMO these coilovers are a very good choice if 1. your roads in your area aren't the greatest 2. you want no noise from your coilovers 3. you want improved handling over stock but yet want to retain a reasonable amount of comfort.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:16 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

dont go comparing spring rates on one coilover to another...it's utterly useless

the only valid comparison is how the same damper deals with different rates. The rate and the valving of the shock together determine overall "feel". Another thing that determines feel is your tires - both in their compound, size, and pressure. It's often overlooked but absolutely critical. Soft sidewall tires can make even "stiff" coilovers feel like mush - stiff walled tires can make "comfy" coilovers rattle your teeth.

That being said, the JIC are certainly a nice unit, but not valved particularly well for rougher roads. If you do alot of LA Freeway type driving, they are great, and they work very nicely as a club racer setup too (occassional track days during the year). The Cusco are a bit more versatile, as they cope with rougher roads better, and overall have a more refined feel to them. Again, this stems from their valving inside coupled with the rate, which overall is meant to be a "sporty" setup for a car which sees primarily street duty.

Adam
www.z1auto.com