Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

what to adjust height by fender or coilover?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 10:23 PM
Drift_corners

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to adjust height by fender or coilover?

I installed Stance Coilovers two weeks ago, When i put them in i made sure all the ride heights were the same at the coilover. Two weeks later i notice that the diffrence from the wheel to the fender is about 1/4 inch off (front left to front right)

1. Is this bad?

2. Do i adjust by fender height... or just make sure the coilovers are all equall?

3. Kinda a side question, i have hotchkis sways set to middle in the rear and 1 click from stiffest in the front, is this too stiff now with the coilovers, will i get more grip if i loosen them

Thank you.

Last edited by Drift_corners; 03-30-2007 at 10:35 PM.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:36 PM
double_d

This months edition of Modified Magazine has a tech area that deals specifically with this question. It actually has more to do with weight on each of the wheels than the height. The article speaks to most coilover users not taping into the full use of their suspension by not "corner balancing".

I highly recommend picking up the June 07 issue of Modified Mag for future reference as some of the info would be easy to forget. I found a link to those that are reading this after that mag has been pulled off the shelf.

http://www.dietersmotorsports.com/te...nerbalance.htm

This article was not written quite as clear as the Modified Mag, but you should get the idea. I would retype everything from the magazine, but sure the editors would not embrace that idea.

Hope this helps
Old 06-04-2007, 05:43 PM
ohSIXz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 corner balancing is key. my Z is stock cuz im doing TONS of research on parts and reading suspension books. im not rushing into modding like i did my last car, its a waste of mula.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:51 PM
double_d

I just re-read my post and realized...I didnt say much...lol.

OK, so corner balancing is measuring the weight on each wheel, and making sure the cross weight (Left Front & Rear Right - Right Front Left Right) are equal. It is ok the you have more front-end weight when comparing to the rear. (53% 47% ratio from factory)

You want the two ratios to be 50-50.

You have to rent a pair of shop scales to take the measurment. Also, set your car up excatally like you normally drive it. In other words, if you weigh 150 lbs, put 150 lbs of weight in the driver seat.

Now make sure you are on a level surface, have the suspension height about where you want it, and adjust the tire pressure to what ever you normally drive at. Position scales under wheels and add LF to RR - RF to LR. Lets say you get 1840 LF RR and 1860 RF LR (using round numbers made up). Now you know where to adjust.

Think of it like a table. If you have ever moved furniture you know the shorter person carries less weight. I'm 5'7" so I dont complain...but thats just how it works. Same with the suspension.

Start by raising the side that has the least amount of weight while lowering the side that has the most weight. Small increments at a time. Keep raising and lowering each pair of springs untill you get the magical 50/50 ratio. Easier typed than done, but you get the idea.