Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Tom Motorsport Coilover?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 09:39 PM
wildmangk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tom Motorsport Coilover?

I've been searching around and no luck finding any info on these coilovers. I do know that it's just the sleeves and springs and perches. Someone around here is selling me the set of 4 for 150$ but I don't know what the quality of these are. I am thinking my shocks will be out within the first month I use them. Any advice or pics or testimonials highly welcomed.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:40 PM
Tubbs

Likely 4 coilovers for 150 dollars won't be good.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:24 AM
z-u-later

Originally Posted by Tubbs
Likely 4 coilovers for 150 dollars won't be good.
Are you kidding me!? You need to do some research before you post ignorant comments in this forum. Unlike you, I actually have first-hand experience with these springs.

I've done months of research on the best springs for my setup. In addition to my research, I actually tested several springs on the street and on the track. I've gone from my stock '06 springs -> Tein S Tech -> Espelir Active GT -> Tom Motorsport adjustable springs. I just recently installed the Tom Motorsport springs and have driven it on the street. I have the Koni Yellows coupled with these springs, and this combination is remarkable. I have both adjustable struts & springs, and can fine tune my Z as I wish. I will be testing them this weekend on the autocross course. I can't wait.

Here is a picture of the Tom Motorsport adjustable springs. They are not actually "coilover" springs since the rear springs are still separate from the struts. However, they have a high spring rate & they are linear. My front springs are actually blue instead of green in the picture. The springs are adjustable from 0" to 3". For around $150 shipped, they are great adjustable springs! Tom Motorsport is well-known in the tuner world. During my research with these springs, I actually spent hours on the phone with Tom, the designer of these custom springs, and he diligently answered my questions regarding his product.

Last edited by z-u-later; 04-10-2007 at 05:34 AM.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:30 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

subscribing for the track evaluation
Old 04-10-2007, 05:54 AM
XuperXero

where can i get sleeves and perches separate? I already have the springs I want, but I want to adjust lower...
Old 04-10-2007, 05:55 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sales pitch went over well!

so if you talked to 'tom' then why questions on his coilovers?
Old 04-10-2007, 07:08 AM
z-u-later

Originally Posted by Motormouth
sales pitch went over well!

so if you talked to 'tom' then why questions on his coilovers?
That was not a sales pitch. It was to educate someone who does not know anything about a product but posted something negative about it. The Tom Motorsport springs were engineered to fit the OEM springs, specifically pre-'06 springs. I wanted to make sure they fit the Koni Yellows. Tom was helpful in guiding me thru the custom installation. Are you happy now? Why are you lurking in this forum anyway? Are you just bored? Is the other site down, again!?

Last edited by z-u-later; 04-10-2007 at 07:12 AM.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:06 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wildmangk
I've been searching around and no luck finding any info on these coilovers. I do know that it's just the sleeves and springs and perches. Someone around here is selling me the set of 4 for 150$ but I don't know what the quality of these are. I am thinking my shocks will be out within the first month I use them. Any advice or pics or testimonials highly welcomed.

DO NOT run them with oem shocks. Has zero to do with lifespan and everything to do with proper control.

Also, do not bother with them if your thinking about lowering very much, even if you go with aftermarket shocks like Koni or Tokico's. Being on the bump stop's 24/7 even when you've cut them down isn't a good idea let alone a good time

IMO run them with a modest .7" to .5" drop on Tokico D-specs. Why D-spec's and not Koni's? The Koni's are soft on bump and can't be set firmer like the D-specs can, your less likely to be on your bump stops with the D-specs because of that.

If you after big time drop, do that on coilovers period.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:10 AM
THE TECH

Sorry, looks like junk to me.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:20 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z
subscribing for the track evaluation
Originally Posted by dnguyent
I am running koni yellows with tom motorsport springs (500/500), 1" drop all around, square tire setup (r-comps), medium setting for sways for both f & r. This setup is a bit loose for my taste, but on staggered street tires (255f/275r), it feels really good. I might try going with a softer sway bar setting in the rear when I run the square setup again. Camber is about 2.5f/2.0r

Also, I've cut off about 1" from the rear bump stops, and I'm still bottoming out my shocks. I haven't gotten into the front suspension to install zip ties, so I don't know whether they are running out of travel.

Aside from the lack of suspension travel, I think these Koni's feel really planted. I might cut off another 1/4" from the bump stops.

^! Notice he's just starting to realize that he may have front bump travel issues. I guarantee that that he is. I ran a simular custom setup on the same spring rates and I only had 1" or so of bump travel in the front and I was running much shorter then oem Koni bump stops.

The Unitech race team found this out when doing the R&D for the Truechoice suspension. That you must shorten the shock case lengths and the piston rod lengths if your going to go even 1" lower on oem based shocks.

I'm currently on a different front Koni coilover conversion with 560lbs springs. I have enough ride height and spring that I stay off the bump stops. However, that mean's I can't adjust any lower then oem. I have shortened Truechoice phase IV front shocks coming wed to fix that

Old 04-10-2007, 04:15 PM
Triple8Sol
Banned

Looks like these are just coilover sleeves, similar to the ones made by Ground Control right? Never been impressed with those things. Dropping your ride height on these means what...turning the spring perch and compressing the springs both front/rear? I agree w/other guys...these look like crap to me too. I have a feeling that "Tubbs" clicked on the sponsorship link on their website. These aren't even listed on there anyways...
Old 04-10-2007, 04:26 PM
Tubbs

Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
I have a feeling that "Tubbs" clicked on the sponsorship link on their website. These aren't even listed on there anyways...

That would take too much effort. I simply said, for 150 dollars, 4 coilovers probably wouldn't be great. And the retort was saying that Tom's springs were good. Well, that's good. But 150 dollars for springs is a reasonable price. For 4 coilovers... something says they aint great.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:47 PM
Triple8Sol
Banned

That would take too much effort. I simply said, for 150 dollars, 4 coilovers probably wouldn't be great. And the retort was saying that Tom's springs were good. Well, that's good. But 150 dollars for springs is a reasonable price. For 4 coilovers... something says they aint great.
Oops...I called out the wrong person. I meant "z-u-later." I actually agree with you, as you can see in my post.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:06 PM
jimmyloose

thumbs down.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:12 PM
chishifu

i have to agree with tubbs and triple8 on this. z-u-later's little flame was totally uncalled for as it hadn't been stated that the item was springs, but we all assumed a full coilover set for $150. anyways some good info has been posted in this thread. Thumbs up.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:43 PM
z-u-later

Originally Posted by z-u-later
They are not actually "coilover" springs since the rear springs are still separate from the struts.
I'm posting my original quote above (from post #3) since we've got a couple of members here who obviously either can't read or comprehend what I posted earlier. I never said they were coilover springs since I know better. However, the OP did not know, which is why I clarified with the statement above.

Last edited by z-u-later; 04-10-2007 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:46 PM
z-u-later

Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
Oops...I called out the wrong person. I meant "z-u-later." I actually agree with you, as you can see in my post.
Can you tell me where I specifically stated that these are coilover springs? It seems that I'll be calling you out for not reading my post, and/or you just simply can't comprehend what I posted.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:49 PM
z-u-later

Originally Posted by chishifu
i have to agree with tubbs and triple8 on this. z-u-later's little flame was totally uncalled for as it hadn't been stated that the item was springs, but we all assumed a full coilover set for $150. anyways some good info has been posted in this thread. Thumbs up.
Well, sorry buddy, that you ***umed they're coilovers. If you read my post, I specifically stated they were not coilovers.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:22 PM
Tubbs

Originally Posted by z-u-later
Well, sorry buddy, that you ***umed they're coilovers. If you read my post, I specifically stated they were not coilovers.

ya, you mentioned springs, wheras the OP mentioned coilovers. I responded to the OP asking about coilovers. Then you respond like someone with a rosebush up his urethra.

You could have said "The OP means springs, not coilovers." Buuut nooo...
Old 04-10-2007, 08:27 PM
philude

ya, you mentioned springs, wheras the OP mentioned coilovers. I responded to the OP asking about coilovers. Then you respond like someone with a rosebush up his urethra.

You could have said "The OP means springs, not coilovers." Buuut nooo...

you guys should calm down...for some springs it's a decent price. no need to take it up a notch...

Quick Reply: Tom Motorsport Coilover?