Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

OK, decision time... Big Brakes or lighter wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 06:02 PM
droideka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question OK, decision time... Big Brakes or lighter wheels?

The story goes like this...

Big Brakes up front - StopTech 13"

OR

Put $500 into the stock brakes (new rotors, pads, SS lines, Motul) and a set of lighter than stock 18" 18x9s (Enkei RP02-Js ~$1,600 with tires) which would shave ~8 lbs. off each front corner and ~6 lbs. off the rear corners. The catch on stock brakes is I'd probably be replacing the rotors every 2 track events at $222.

The big brakes are an obvious no brainer, but I'd like to reduce my unsprung weight via wheels as well. I can only get away with spending a certain amount this quarter as I've also got the $1,800 going into the NISMO S-Tune kit.

Performance, Touring 6MT owners that have tracked their cars, what would YOU do?
Old 04-17-2003, 06:22 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go with the wheels, I have been toying with the big brake upgrade as well, but have instead invested in some Bobcat pads for street/Autox and Panther XP pads for track. I have already changed the fluid and the lines and the brakes worked quite well at the track, like some said the car will only stop as goos as your tires and I was getting the ABS kicking in. I am looking into rotors and trying to figure out which ones to go with, I like the DBA's but can't find anyone that sells them in the US yet, but working on it, I am going to go with a slotted rotor. I think that unless you are going to be doing a 3-4 hour race you should be OK with the cheaper upgrades on your brakes for track days, and the BIG brakes are more for looks, my 0.02
Old 04-17-2003, 06:25 PM
2003z

go for the wheels and westpaks brake upgrades. Thats my input.
Old 04-17-2003, 06:27 PM
2003z

I know youve seen them, but for everyone else, the rpo-2s in 17s with 255/40 all around.
Brad, See what I meant about lowering and the rake with all the same size tires, this pic is not lowered but looks like the eibach lowered cars.
Attached Thumbnails OK, decision time... Big Brakes or lighter wheels?-enkei-rpo2.jpg  
Old 04-17-2003, 06:28 PM
2003z

as opposed to stock 18s on enkei rpm2s
Attached Thumbnails OK, decision time... Big Brakes or lighter wheels?-enkei-rpm2.jpg  
Old 04-17-2003, 06:30 PM
2003z

sorry that ones so small, here's the car with 19s in 275 245 35s, same size as stock.
Attached Thumbnails OK, decision time... Big Brakes or lighter wheels?-iforged-006.jpg  
Old 04-17-2003, 06:41 PM
Z350Maniac

either you own your own rim and tire shop, your local shop allows you to try tires out, or you REALLY like to buy rims and tires and have extra sets laying around. LOL which is it? I like the 19's but I would choose the same style in an 18 if avaliable.

Last edited by Z350Maniac; 04-17-2003 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-17-2003, 06:57 PM
imntcrzy

if you autocross I would definately go with the brakes.... otherwise lighter wheels for less unsprung weight would benifit acceleration and give better slip times at the 1/4 miles....

I personally would go with brakes.... inspires more confidence..... if speed kills do brakes give life?
Old 04-17-2003, 07:00 PM
2003z

Originally posted by Z350Maniac
either you own your own rim and tire shop, your local shop allows you to try tires out, or you REALLY like to buy rims and tires and have extra sets laying around. LOL which is it? I like the 19's but I would choose the same style in an 18 if avaliable.
How about, I'm an idiot! No, I first got the rpm-2s, but when the iforged GB came out, decided I didn't like them as much as the iforged, so I sold them to a friend. The 3rd set is for auto-x. I sold my track rims also, and aside from rubber, only have about 1000 invested in wheels after all is said an done!, believe it or not! (actually, I also have about 400 in mounting and balancing and 1700 in rubber.)
Old 04-17-2003, 07:04 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally posted by imntcrzy
if you autocross I would definately go with the brakes.... otherwise lighter wheels for less unsprung weight would benifit acceleration and give better slip times at the 1/4 miles....

I personally would go with brakes.... inspires more confidence..... if speed kills do brakes give life?
The big brakes are really not a factor for autox, you don't get up to speed at which the brakes would be useful, the only consideration would be for track purposes and like I mentioned that unless you are going to be doing 3-4 hour races the cheaper upgrades should be fine.
Old 04-17-2003, 07:09 PM
imntcrzy

yes but wouldn't bigger brakes = less stopping distance which = maintaining speed up till the turn. Also less fade. I may be just speculating but my (very limited) track experience is to go into a turn as fast as possible, brake before the apex of the turn and throttle thru the turn.
Old 04-17-2003, 07:10 PM
imntcrzy

im also biased because my z32 brake upgrade on my 240sx was one of my best upgrades
Old 04-17-2003, 07:11 PM
droideka

These decisions are made based strictly on road course usage. After my first track event this weekend, I doubt I'll ever do an autocross now. I doubt I'll ever hit the 1320' either.
Old 04-17-2003, 07:15 PM
Z350Maniac

Originally posted by 2003z
How about, I'm an idiot! No, I first got the rpm-2s, but when the iforged GB came out, decided I didn't like them as much as the iforged, so I sold them to a friend. The 3rd set is for auto-x. I sold my track rims also, and aside from rubber, only have about 1000 invested in wheels after all is said an done!, believe it or not! (actually, I also have about 400 in mounting and balancing and 1700 in rubber.)
well that explains it. lol. I do like those 19's though, they fit the car NICELY.
Old 04-17-2003, 07:17 PM
droideka

yes but wouldn't bigger brakes = less stopping distance which = maintaining speed up till the turn. Also less fade. I may be just speculating but my (very limited) track experience is to go into a turn as fast as possible, brake before the apex of the turn and throttle thru the turn.
How many times did you spin braking AT the apex? A girl in a an RX-7 turbo did that and spun every goddamned time she was on the course, and every time I was coming around to lap her. I do have to give her credit for keeping me on my toes. My accident avoidence reaction time is SUPER SHARP now.

You brake and downshift in the straight right before the turn unless you're trail braking to rotate the back end. Even then, trail braking is not a good idea coming down from 100+ on a tight corner.
Old 04-17-2003, 07:22 PM
droideka

Originally posted by westpak
The big brakes are really not a factor for autox, you don't get up to speed at which the brakes would be useful, the only consideration would be for track purposes and like I mentioned that unless you are going to be doing 3-4 hour races the cheaper upgrades should be fine.
The other thing about the StopTechs is it's MUCH easier to swap pads. I'd be getting black calipers and slotted 13" rotors. NO BLING for me. If I do just the brakes, I could also sneak in your y-pipe/straight pipe upgrade.

You did Sebring, Gus. You really that confident in the stock fronts? I was scared all weekend that I was suddenly going to be rolling on backing plates at any minute. What kind of speeds were you hitting on the straights at Sebring?
Old 04-17-2003, 07:26 PM
raceboy
Banned

If you are gonna go with DOT race rubber, you are gonna have to upgrade the brakes for sure. The race rubber will mean you are coming off corners faster, arriving at the next corner faster, and really compressing the braking zone. I think the stock brakes would be overwhelmed by race rubber.

Stock rubber, maybe the stock brakes will be OK, maybe not, but the lighter wheels will only make a fractional difference around a road circuit. Maybe .3 or .4 seconds around a 2 minute roadcourse. But brakes that don't fade; PRICELESS!!!
Old 04-17-2003, 07:31 PM
westpak
SFZCC

As droidekaus said, you do all of your braking and downshifting on the straight so you avoid upsetting the car and spinning, I think you meant that as well, then you have all of the weight on the front tires to get grip to take the turn and shoot for the apex and slowly accelarate.

As for fading it is a factor of a few things, fluid, brake lines, rotor and pads, with the upgrades I have mentioned above you should be alright and the benifit of having a Big brake kit will only be evident after a prolonged stint on the track at full tilt. On track days you usually don't go out for more than 45 minutes or so at a time, personally I went out for 15-20 minutes came in for a few and then went out again for another15-20 minutes then you have about 1 1/2 to 2 hours until your group is up again.
Old 04-17-2003, 08:06 PM
droideka

Originally posted by raceboy
If you are gonna go with DOT race rubber, you are gonna have to upgrade the brakes for sure. The race rubber will mean you are coming off corners faster, arriving at the next corner faster, and really compressing the braking zone. I think the stock brakes would be overwhelmed by race rubber.

Stock rubber, maybe the stock brakes will be OK, maybe not, but the lighter wheels will only make a fractional difference around a road circuit. Maybe .3 or .4 seconds around a 2 minute roadcourse. But brakes that don't fade; PRICELESS!!!
Good points, Steve. I'm SEVERAL events away from even beginning to think about R compounds, but it doesn't hurt to get all of this **** figured out now instead of wasting money. I could easily go with 17s now that could fit Yoko A032Rs or ECSTA V700s, but I like the look of 18s for a daily driver.

Also, I'm not thinking lap times with regards to the lighter wheels. I was thinking less weight for the stock brakes to contend with if you use a 4x factor for unsprung weight. That'd be ~48 pounds in the front and ~32 in the rear. Even more if I go with 17s. I don't see myself on R compounds until next year. I'd like to own the car on street rubber before I notch it up.

Last edited by droideka; 04-17-2003 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-17-2003, 11:03 PM
D'oh

That's an interesting question; one I've pondered as well. Here's what I've come up with:

1. Nismo S-Tune is critical, but will be waiting to see if it comes to US. It's definitely on the list, though.

2. My only track day has been at Laguna Seca, which worked out pretty well with my completely stock Performace. However, by the second day I did get a bit nervous about running out of the stock pad, so I started taking things easy. I have since replaced my rear pads, and am almost due for new front pads. I also need new front tires, but I didn't really have any problems with the stockers. I really like the 13" Stoptech setup, both from a performance and looks standpoint. The stock rear pads were a piece of cake to change, and although the brakes worked pretty well at Laguna, they were really the only thing that I wanted to change. Well, other than the suspension. Therefore I think the brake kit would be a good investment.

3. If you eventually plan on getting R compound tires, I would wait and get your lightweight wheels at that time. For street driving and even at the track, the stock wheels probably don't slow things down too much, so it doesn't seem like you'd get much benefit from changing wheels now. If you really want the look of an aftermarket wheel, then maybe getting some new ones now makes sense, but I would personally rather have the big brake kit.

-D'oh!

Quick Reply: OK, decision time... Big Brakes or lighter wheels?