Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Suspension "What Do i do now?"

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007 | 01:24 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Originally Posted by daytona350z
dont knock it till you try it. had 265/35s and 235/40s on my car at the tack and i have a touring w/vdc as well but whatever, just my .02
On the track, you probably run with VDC turned off, so stagger isn't a problem. The danger in posting that setup without the caveat is that someone might read it and assume it's a fine setup for the street. Later, they'll be posting here that every time they turn and brake or accelerate on an Interstate entrance ramp, their VDC kicks in and won't have a clue as to why.
Old 05-20-2007 | 01:28 PM
Beau

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Agreed, that much HP should justify more rubber. I run those sizes on my autocross setup.
I figure a company as large and successful as JUN would have a reason for not using wider tires. Even Sport Compact Car, as conservative as they are with choosing tires and wheels/offsets has put 275's on all 4 corners. Why hasn't JUN? JUN could have done a widebody if they felt it was necessary even. Why didn't they even with 800hp?

Last edited by Beau; 05-20-2007 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-20-2007 | 01:40 PM
daytona350z

I've done the calculations and the rotational inertia increase by going from 18" to 19" is essentially offset by the reduction in weight from that setup.
then why even track on 19's when you can achieve better times with lighter 18" wheels and tires. you basically just said you are where you started, you went to bigger/lighter wheels-but it only offset it to be equal with your oem setup, which isnt any improvement at all.

and i have daily driven on that setup i mentioned, 235/265, with my car with all electronics working, and it hasnt given me any problems, but again, thats just me. now dont give me the whole owners manual about maintaining a difference in diameter between the front and rear, i already know. in my experience though, it hasnt given me problems.
Old 05-20-2007 | 02:09 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Originally Posted by daytona350z
then why even track on 19's when you can achieve better times with lighter 18" wheels and tires. you basically just said you are where you started, you went to bigger/lighter wheels-but it only offset it to be equal with your oem setup, which isnt any improvement at all.

and i have daily driven on that setup i mentioned, 235/265, with my car with all electronics working, and it hasnt given me any problems, but again, thats just me. now dont give me the whole owners manual about maintaining a difference in diameter between the front and rear, i already know. in my experience though, it hasnt given me problems.
Actually, the 19" wheels are my daily driver setup - I just take them on the track because that's what's on the car when I get there.

I have lightweight 18" wheels (track model) and tires for autocrossing, where higher performance is important to me.

I can't explain or imagine why you don't have VDC problems with your setup. It's a pretty common occurance for people with reversed stagger. Maybe VDC is broken, maybe you've got your profiles mixed up and you truly do have the proper stagger. While it works for you, it hasn't for a lot of others. Chalk it up to luck or some fluke.
Old 05-20-2007 | 02:20 PM
daytona350z

Actually, the 19" wheels are my daily driver setup - I just take them on the track because that's what's on the car when I get there.

I have lightweight 18" wheels (track model) and tires for autocrossing, where higher performance is important to me.

I can't explain or imagine why you don't have VDC problems with your setup. It's a pretty common occurance for people with reversed stagger. Maybe VDC is broken, maybe you've got your profiles mixed up and you truly do have the proper stagger. While it works for you, it hasn't for a lot of others. Chalk it up to luck or some fluke.
nope, i have a touring 6spd which comes with vdc and that crap excuse of lsd, tires are as i said.
eh, vdc still works since i sometimes forget to turn it off when i try to drift some turns and it cuts everything off-making me look really stupid. my friend michi runs a 235/40 and 265/35 as well, but he has an enthusiast, which would still theoretoically would still be intrusive while just going straight.